N

NoahJuan

Mar 5, 2022
There is a concept called quantum suicide that has it's basis in quantum physics.

THIS is what scares me about the idea of catching the bus, since i have tried the experiment over and over for the last 30 years or so... and have yet to falsify the hypothesis.

you need to read this link to get what the hell i am talking about:

basically, if the wheeler-everett-graham model of quantum physics is correct, from an objective point of view, you are immortal and you will never be able to catch the bus. Basically every situation that could cause multiple outcomes makes the universe split, and all outcome happen. From an objective point of view, things split until every person is living in their own version of the universe where they are immortal.

Reactions: ThisIsLife and Shu
loststar

loststar

Just looking for the way
Apr 18, 2022
I find it too abstract to be truly scary, pluss i dont see how it accounts for people that lived thousands of years ago. Are they already in the imortality realm?

9BBN

9BBN

Heaven, send Hell away
Mar 29, 2021
If this is true then I'll see you in hell. Too bad it's probably not.

rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I have thought that the multiverse theory must imply this.

Reactions: Shu
L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
On the hopefully bright side, none of these wild and wooly quantum/multiverse theories have been proven. Years ago, some physicist was claiming a universe could be created in a lab.

• Yay!
Reactions: Forever Sleep
W

Wizard999666

May 26, 2020
How is this scary if you're put into a body with a properly functioning brain? My personal brain is the problem, and it didn't always used to be like this. I find nothing wrong whatsoever with having a normal life with a normal brain. I enjoyed living before my brain started sabotaging itself.

Reactions: Lookoutbelow
N

NoahJuan

Mar 5, 2022
How is this scary if you're put into a body with a properly functioning brain? My personal brain is the problem, and it didn't always used to be like this. I find nothing wrong whatsoever with having a normal life with a normal brain. I enjoyed living before my brain started sabotaging itself.
Huh? What do you mean? Perhaps ypu misunderstand. This theory means there is a high chance that from a subjective point of view you wind up alive. Likely crippled or othereise severely damaged, but still alive.

What do you mean by "put into a body"?

I think you a totally misunderstanding the theory here.

rationaltake

rationaltake

Sep 28, 2021
Huh? What do you mean? Perhaps ypu misunderstand. This theory means there is a high chance that from a subjective point of view you wind up alive. Likely crippled or othereise severely damaged, but still alive.

It's complicated. It's not reincarnation. I don't understand it either. Only on a basic level if that. Interesting though.
I find it too abstract to be truly scary, pluss i dont see how it accounts for people that lived thousands of years ago. Are they already in the imortality realm?
Good question. They must be I would think.

W

Wizard999666

May 26, 2020

Yes I misunderstood, sorry...

N

NoahJuan

Mar 5, 2022
Multidimensionality?
Not exactly. Multiple universe theory.
It's complicated. It's not reincarnation. I don't understand it either. Only on a basic level if that. Interesting though.

Good question. They must be I would think.
Yes. The theory implies that everyone who has ever lived is still alive in some version of the universe.

Reactions: Shu
S

Siterfau

Mar 7, 2022
Most experts hold that neither the experiment nor the related idea of immortality would work in the real world. ...Virtually all physicists and philosophers of science who have described it ... underscore that it relies on contrived, idealized circumstances that may be impossible or exceedingly difficult to realize in real life, and that its theoretical premises are controversial even among supporters of the many-worlds interpretation.
Sounds to me like it's not that well-supported of a proposal.

Ignoring that though, I'm not really sure how this is scary. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but it sounds like the thought experiment is basically stating that you live in the universe where you don't die.

SKDN

SKDN

Mar 29, 2022
Man, I can barely get up from bed.. I don't care

Reactions: rationaltake and Shu
Shu

Shu

As above, So Below.
Jan 21, 2022
I've had tons of experience that have made me believe that we are multi-dimensional. I don't know though.

Reactions: rationaltake
rationaltake

rationaltake

Sep 28, 2021
I think the muliverse is based on this idea. Every time something happens in one universe another universe arises where that particular thing did not happen.

In one universe you drop a cup. Another universe arises where you do not drop a cup.

The same with dying. In one universe someone dies and in another they don't.

So immortality is implied for one particular version of a person.

And bad luck - or good luck - if you in particular happen to be the version who is immortal.

Just my take. I may be wrong.
I've had tons of experience that have made me believe that we are multi-dimensional. I don't know though.
Multidimensionality is just as feasible as the multiverse.

I'd be interested to hear more if you wanted to tell.

M

MrThe

Music is the way
Oct 8, 2023
Every time an event takes place that could take your life, your consciousness is transfered to the outcome where you dont die, as it cannot co-exist in an universe where your body doesn't exist. So basically, there arent versions of people, your conscience is the one version that is transfered to all the outcomes where you live, if that made any sense