D

Depressedbitch2020

Oct 10, 2020
I'm just curious and wanted the opinions of others.

Do you think it's ok for people to intervene with suicide attempts? Why or why not?

Reactions: Meditation guide
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
If I saw a stranger poised to jump or something like that, I believe I'd ask them if they wanted to talk. If the jump was nowhere near high enough I think I'd point that out.

Reactions: voyager, sadworld, Disco Biscuit and 5 others
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
I think that it's immoral because it's thwarting their will, but I can definitely understand why anyone might feel an urge or need to.

• Love
Reactions: voyager, sadworld, Meditation guide and 2 others
C

CrossEyedCat

Oct 5, 2020
I don't think it's necessarily wrong, I think it's just in our nature to want to help someone. First instinct is probably gonna tell you to talk someone off a ledge. We can't know what other people truly want though so that makes it impossible to say whether you should or shouldn't intervene.

Reactions: ocd is bad
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Really interesting question! On one hand , everyone has the right/free will to do as they please. On the second hand, would one either wonder or question ones self as far as should I have intervened? For me I come down a little more on the second hand of at least asking , "hey want to talk for a minute or two" "" i care for you alot and am just wondering why is all?" I consider every person on this planet a part of my family and I would at least like to make sure that they are not doing something in the spur of the moment.

Reactions: Chupacabra 44, tidalwxves and theguineapigking
D

Depressedbitch2020

Oct 10, 2020
Really interesting question! On one hand , everyone has the right/free will to do as they please. On the second hand, would one either wonder or question ones self as far as should I have intervened? For me I come down a little more on the second hand of at least asking , "hey want to talk for a minute or two" "" i care for you alot and am just wondering why is all?" I consider every person on this planet a part of my family and I would at least like to make sure that they are not doing something in the spur of the moment.
Is there a difference between a thought out attempt and an impulsive attempt?

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Is there a difference between a thought out attempt and an impulsive attempt?
Great question! For me, the short answer is yes. I would hope a thought out attempt would be such as far as thinking of family,friends,pets,children..etc. now a impulsive attempt, to me, is where one had a really bad experience right now, or someone said/told one upsetting info, or just a knee jerk quick thats it I am done. Now, just last week for me, i started a new job on 10.05 and was fired on 10.09, yep 4 days on a new job and was told that i was not getting the training quick enough for their standards, and I was told nothing before hand at all. For a couple of minutes I was 90% ready to ctb. BUT by the time I had driven home, around 15 minutes, i started picking up my mental pieces and putting it in perspective and said to myself "thank heavens that i am the hell out of there!"

Reactions: Soul and tidalwxves
D

Depressedbitch2020

Oct 10, 2020
Great question! For me, the short answer is yes. I would hope a thought out attempt would be such as far as thinking of family,friends,pets,children..etc. now a impulsive attempt, to me, is where one had a really bad experience right now, or someone said/told one upsetting info, or just a knee jerk quick thats it I am done. Now, just last week for me, i started a new job on 10.05 and was fired on 10.09, yep 4 days on a new job and was told that i was not getting the training quick enough for their standards, and I was told nothing before hand at all. For a couple of minutes I was 90% ready to ctb. BUT by the time I had driven home, around 15 minutes, i started picking up my mental pieces and putting it in perspective and said to myself "thank heavens that i am the hell out of there!"
What about situations like mine where you've been depressed since a little kid and nothing helps and you will forever be depressed. Would an impulsive attempt be acceptable then?

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
What about situations like mine where you've been depressed since a little kid and nothing helps and you will forever be depressed. Would an impulsive attempt be acceptable then?
That type of a question , unfortunately, can only be answered by you. You have to dig deep within yourself and find what would make you happy.

Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019

To me that's not a question of "acceptable/not"; more like: Impulsive attempts are often failures and you may make your situation worse. Have you researched this? Do you know what the risks are? Have you considered/tried other approaches (meds, therapy, etc)? Have you had a setback, or is your life really over?

2Headpats4You

Oct 10, 2020
I would point out that I thought their method would fail if that was the case. Otherwise I would respectfully not intervene, maybe talk to them a bit.

Reactions: Soul
FatalSystemError591

FatalSystemError591

{He/They}
Oct 12, 2020
It's a mixed bag, depending on their intentions. If they're trying to stop you so they can manipulate or abuse you more, then screw them. But if its out of genuinely wanting to help, then I guess. I wouldn't personally as I'm open about being pro-choice in the way of what people do with their lives.

Hollydeathripper

Hollydeathripper

no heart beat
Oct 12, 2020
is a overwhelming situation for many since we all go thru that thoughts, is a must to ask to help, maintain them out of there thought mean while asking why? and calm them done after all we all are humans and we will do as our intuition tells us. we can only do so much so we wont feel guilty

G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
If I was a 'normal' happy person with no 'issues' I would probably intervene. But because I am on the other side and know what its like , then no ,I honestly think I would not intervene.

Reactions: Deathbydemo
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
I'm just curious and wanted the opinions of others.

Do you think it's ok for people to intervene with suicide attempts? Why or why not?
Id probably ask if i could join them after the day ive had lol.
Its a good question. So often we wouldnt stop someone and respect their will on the forum.
But im not sure what it woukd be like irl. I think it might be different
Tbh

Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
But im not sure what it woukd be like irl. I think it might be different

Depending on the situation one might end up with legal hassles for not intervening.

Reactions: sadworld, demuic and Mm80
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Depending on the situation one might end up with legal hassles for not intervening.
Never thought of it like that soul.
Its tricky though as it woukdnt be assisted ?

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I would join them.

• Hugs
Reactions: voyager, sadworld and Deathbydemo
Deathbydemo

Deathbydemo

Mage
Feb 15, 2020
I second exactly what @greebo6 said.

I would reasonably assume the person has thought out their decision and would leave them to it.

Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
Never thought of it like that soul.
Its tricky though as it woukdnt be assisted ?

No, it's not assisted, but a guardian might be liable for neglect or wrongful death if a minor or patient commits suicide on their watch.

Reactions: sadworld
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
No, it's not assisted, but a guardian might be liable for neglect or wrongful death if a minor or patient commits suicide on their watch.
Yeah. I was thinking more as in a stranger on a bridge or sonething? If your a guardian I'd imagine there would be legal implications

Reactions: sadworld and Soul
BridgeJumper

BridgeJumper

The Arsonist
Apr 7, 2019
Im a hypocrite.
I hate when people try to 'save' me (lol theres nothing to save)
But it hits different when its another person. The remaining shred of empathy in me cant take it...
I saw someone overdose on fent in the chat, I started freaking out and crying and asking if I could call help from abroad and was downvoted to oblivion for not respecting his choice.
I saw a man get over railings at my bridge and I grabbed him and said 'WTF, please dont!' and talked to him and hugged him for a few hours.
My best friends suicide I didnt see in person, but when I got the news I quit eating and sleeping, tried to jump several times in one day and went to psych ward for 4 months.

I just cant handle things like this :(