• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

C

ChickFilAGift

Apr 3, 2023
I have a few questions here. I have tried recovering before and am in limbo about it right now. It failed in the past. So…
1. For any of you who tried recovery, do you see any progress? And if so how
2. For those of you who have seen progress, how? What did you do
3. What encouraged you to get better and stick through with it?

Thank you

Janine

Janine

"The man who hunts two bunnies will catch neither"
Mar 18, 2023
I've been recovering for quite a while now, say around half a year. There's of course progress, meaning I don't have those "bad" thoughts all day now, thankfully. Still, you need to consider this: Once you've had your mind on the darker side of life, it's very unlikely you'll ever change your perception of our world again. I definetly haven't, but I've learned that it's just better to walk those thoughts off as they won't help or do harm to me anyways. To answer your question on what I did to recover, I can just say "keep going". It won't necessarily get better, but sometimes you need to accept things for how they are. What encouraged me the most was thinking about how I could be like at my best, if I actually tried. Finally, "Sticking through" with it is nothing you will be able to do forever, it's just how it is. The secret is to learn how to handle thoughts, not try to overcome them. All the best from me.

• Love
Reactions: ChickFilAGift and Paradise
C

ChickFilAGift

Apr 3, 2023
I've been recovering for quite a while now, say around half a year. There's of course progress, meaning I don't have those "bad" thoughts all day now, thankfully. Still, you need to consider this: Once you've had your mind on the darker side of life, it's very unlikely you'll ever change your perception of our world again. I definetly haven't, but I've learned that it's just better to walk those thoughts off as they won't help or do harm to me anyways. To answer your question on what I did to recover, I can just say "keep going". It won't necessarily get better, but sometimes you need to accept things for how they are. What encouraged me the most was thinking about how I could be like at my best, if I actually tried. Finally, "Sticking through" with it is nothing you will be able to do forever, it's just how it is. The secret is to learn how to handle thoughts, not try to overcome them. All the best from me.
Thank you for your reply, you made it a lot more realistic for me. Good job on seeing progress though. I guess I should just take it one day at a time

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: guayabas and Janine
Janine

Janine

"The man who hunts two bunnies will catch neither"
Mar 18, 2023
Thank you for your reply, you made it a lot more realistic for me. Good job on seeing progress though. I guess I should just take it one day at a time
That's the way to go, definetly. Just don't give up and maybe keep us updated on your progress!

guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
I have a few questions here. I have tried recovering before and am in limbo about it right now. It failed in the past. So…
1. For any of you who tried recovery, do you see any progress? And if so how
2. For those of you who have seen progress, how? What did you do
3. What encouraged you to get better and stick through with it?

Thank you
what does recovering mean for you?

Paradise

Paradise

Drown me in the sea
Apr 2, 2023
You need to understand that progress is not linear. Right now I'm in a bit of a hole (that's why I'm here rn lol), but overall I'm going in an upwards direction. I've been getting therapy, journalling (very good). With time I started trying to get out more-alone or with people-, socializing through school and reaching out to old friends, reading philosophy, putting time into my hobbies (guitar and drawing). The progress is feeling absolutely terrible a lot less often (from the whole day being shit, to just some parts). I'm decided years ago that I won't kill myself 'till I have things to do that could "make me feel better" (therapy, meds, moving out, travelling, and if nothing works drugs). My death won't be preventable, people will look and say "she did everything she could". I will have hope 'till I'm utterly hopeless.

• Hugs
Reactions: guayabas
C

ChickFilAGift

Apr 3, 2023
You need to understand that progress is not linear. Right now I'm in a bit of a hole (that's why I'm here rn lol), but overall I'm going in an upwards direction. I've been getting therapy, journalling (very good). With time I started trying to get out more-alone or with people-, socializing through school and reaching out to old friends, reading philosophy, putting time into my hobbies (guitar and drawing). The progress is feeling absolutely terrible a lot less often (from the whole day being shit, to just some parts). I'm decided years ago that I won't kill myself 'till I have things to do that could "make me feel better" (therapy, meds, moving out, travelling, and if nothing works drugs). My death won't be preventable, people will look and say "she did everything she could". I will have hope 'till I'm utterly hopeless.
It definitely takes more time than I wish it did. Do you consider what ur doing as a way of like distracting urself? Or does it really mean more and help?
what does recovering mean for you?
I just wanna be happy, thats what it means for me. Happy and tougher
That's the way to go, definetly. Just don't give up and maybe keep us updated on your progress!
I hope i see progress, and if i do i definitely will.

• Hugs
Reactions: guayabas
guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
ok that I can answer :)

1. I have definitely seen progress, I went 10 years without wanting to ctb. there was even a point at which I was glad I didn't. I didn't know it was possible to feel that way bc I figured, I'd be dead, I'd never know what I missed.

2. I did a lot of things. Finding the right meds helped a ton. It took months but once I found the right fit, things got so much easier for me. I know meds don't work for everyone though, or aren't accessible, and I've def recovered before without meds, it was just harder

I worked on not comparing myself to other ppl. I took baby steps and focused on the things I was able to do instead of the things I wasn't able to yet. Some days it was just making it to the next day. I took things one day at a time, tried not to think too far into the future bc that triggered my brain to trick me into thinking everything I wanted was impossible. I had to stop taking responsibility for things that were out of my control and take more responsibility for the things that were in my control

I made a list of all the little things that made me feel a little happier and did what I could to incorporate those things into my daily life. Color has a huge influence on my mood, so I painted my walls. I put up string lights, bought cheap art I liked to put on my walls. I bought cute tea cups and plates and use them for all my meals/beverages. Anything I could to make mundane boring parts of life a little more pleasant.

And for the parts of my life that I set aside or create to be enjoyable, I practice mindfulness during them, to make them last as long as possible. Sometimes it's just a special dessert or treat I bought. I put it on my cute plate, make a chai latte, go sit next to a window, put on an old record or a cute playlist, and just focus on every little thing I'm enjoying. The view, my cup, the tea. I eat very slowly, taking small bites of my treat and really take time to taste it.

3. what encouraged me was just not wanting to be miserable all the time. I had to figure out a way to make it work bc I just couldn't do it anymore

I do hope things get easier for you soon <3

Paradise

Paradise

Drown me in the sea
Apr 2, 2023
It definitely takes more time than I wish it did. Do you consider what ur doing as a way of like distracting urself? Or does it really mean more and help?
Sometimes it's a distraction and sometimes it's something more. You need to find a balance between running away from your thoughts (friends, schoolwork, drinking) and getting lost in them (journalling, therapy, crying in bed at night).

Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
First of all, I don't think that you can 'fail' recovery. Every step you take towards getting better is a success and even if you think you are back in that deep hole, you made that progress and it will never disappear or be nullified no matter what happens.

1. Yes, I have seen immense progress. My life turned to the better, I am way closer to being my real self again.

2. It is important to always keep going. Recovery is a path you walk. Even if some days you feel down and the only thing you do that day is survive, it is a success and you have progressed on your way to recovery. Of course, taking measurements to get better helps speeding up the progress but it is normal and also important to take breaks along the way.
For me, I tried so many things. I realised what helped and what didn't and tried sticking to the stuff that was good for me (physically and mentally). And even if some methods fail, you learn. You learn more about how the sickness works and influences you but also how to beat it. Recovery really is a journey of finding ways to help you recover.

3. What encouraged me was of course my loved ones. But also the fact that I know that that was not me. All the dark thoughts and hopelessness was my depression and anxiety talking. I knew that I was just stuck in a state and not a lifetime of depression. I wanted to get better, I wanted to have a normal life again and enjoy things like other people do. I knew life had so much more to offer and I had no right to take away that experience from myself. Recovery is a journey, a path but also a battle and we all have the strength to fight that battle.

'As long as you don't harm yourself or others, do what makes you happy' <3

Wishing you all the best