ChildishEgg

ChildishEgg

Dec 8, 2023
They brought me a cylinder with nitrogen in this form.
This cylinder has already been used. I was warned at the time of ordering that this cylinder is NOT new.

I'm afraid to use it.
I'm afraid it's going to explode.
I read that cylinders can explode due to corrosion, as the nitrogen in the cylinder is under high pressure.
If it blows it close enough to you, you could die. It has the same outcome that you're achieving right? Why so scared?

T

tabletop

Student
Oct 8, 2019
I ordered my top hat in Russia. As far as I understand, cheating is not so rare in our country and unscrupulous suppliers can be found.
Suppliers can write on the cylinder's passport that it has been inspected, but in fact the supplier might not even check it before selling

And I read the stories of those who were sold gas under even more pressure than necessary

I can ONLY open the cylinder valve after I attach the rotameter, right?

Sorry for the questions
I used to study this method, but I forgot everything. And now I'm back with him again
Generally yeah you only want to open the valve AFTER installing the rotameter. I'm used to calling them regulators. And as I've looked up that a rotameter is the tube that measures gas flow. I'd like to point out that you really don't need a rotameter. I'd suggest a regulator. Or look up a nitrogen gas tank regulator. Often a regulator used a rotameter to measure flow. Often they use an ordinairy circular gauge. Once screwing the regulator onto the valve (with a wrench but not super tight) you could then open the valve on the tank. The regulator then has two gauges. One that tells you the tank pressure. And one that shows the flow out which is fully adjustable.
Also, it's not bad if you did open the valve with nothing on it. I mean if you do that make sure the tank is secure! Often when putting new regulators on new tanks I'll open the valve for a split second with nothing attached. Just in case there is dirt on the threads it can blast it out first. Unnessecary step. I'm only pointing this out to say it's okay and not certain death to open the valve a little with nothing attached.

• Love
Reactions: Justnotme
PiddyPitbull

PiddyPitbull

Been wanting out since 1990(something).
Dec 29, 2023
I was just sharing my experience and wasn't claiming that i know everything. And i have no idea on how OP is thinking or methods etc.

and while i do see your point regarding the O2/ NO2 mixture and the car being larger volume than a plastic bag, i would be more likely to agree with this if i didnt have a massive tank crank open in a carefully sealed environment.

So i do not know the math/differences between a small bag and just a little tiny flow of NO2 compared to roughly a 7' X 4' sealed box and a cranked open tank for more than 20 minutes, i would be curious to know that difference.

Now where i do see some possible wiggle room is if my NO2 was made for a different purpose, less potent...? But that would just be an assumption. Also need to point out that it is not the Nitrogen that kills you, therefore needing to get any CO2 to exit out of my car is not accurate. It all has to do with the body and cells slowly losing its supply of O2, so if i had several breaths of carbon dioxide would not have the effect you are presuming.

Again. I am not here to argue, or prove who has read more articles than the other. I came here to hopefully bring a light bulb to OP's mindset- if the car method was on the table, i wanted to share what he can likely expect.

Interesting read on Nitrogen executions.

Not saying you are right or i am right, just that there is very conflicting information.

Last edited:
Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
I was just sharing my experience and wasn't claiming that i know everything. And i have no idea on how OP is thinking or methods etc.

and while i do see your point regarding the O2/ NO2 mixture and the car being larger volume than a plastic bag, i would be more likely to agree with this if i didnt have a massive tank crank open in a carefully sealed environment.

So i do not know the math/differences between a small bag and just a little tiny flow of NO2 compared to roughly a 7' X 4' sealed box and a cranked open tank for more than 20 minutes, i would be curious to know that difference.

Now where i do see some possible wiggle room is if my NO2 was made for a different purpose, less potent...? But that would just be an assumption. Also need to point out that it is not the Nitrogen that kills you, therefore needing to get any CO2 to exit out of my car is not accurate. It all has to do with the body and cells slowly losing its supply of O2, so if i had several breaths of carbon dioxide would not have the effect you are presuming.

Again. I am not here to argue, or prove who has read more articles than the other. I came here to hopefully bring a light bulb to OP's mindset- if the car method was on the table, i wanted to share what he can likely expect.

Interesting read on Nitrogen executions.

Not saying you are right or i am right, just that there is very conflicting information.
There would have still been normal air in your car before you opened the valve, you were likely still breathing some oxygen (enough to not pass out quickly, which explains the effects you felt) The idea is to be in a complete oxygen free environment. With the bag for example, you exhale before covering your head, and hold your breath until the bag is filled with nitrogen so that there is as good as 0 oxygen anywhere.

If it blows it close enough to you, you could die. It has the same outcome that you're achieving right? Why so scared?
Not necessarily, it could act like a shrapnel bomb instead of flying off like a rocket and instead just maim you. But you'd have to damage it from the outside probably.

Last edited:
Reactions: limeoctave and Tears in Rain
Glandular

Glandular

Student
Mar 23, 2023

Well, there is no source that claims that opening a nitrogen cylinder inside a car is a valid method. There is just too much air that would need to be replaced and of course, a car is not airtight.
Every inert gas method that is discussed relies on two assumptions: 1) the oxygen free zone should be as small as possible (head inside bag, using a SCBA or SCUBA mask) and 2) CO2 needs to be purged from the system.

Reactions: limeoctave and Tears in Rain