K

kekcal24

Dec 28, 2020
Is this an actual, true statistic? Or just another useless statement to encourage people to continue living through immense suffering? Regardless, even if this statistic is a researched one, I wonder how many of those asked simply lied to avoid being forced into a mental hospital due to the broken mental health system?

Reactions: RABITIA, _Minsk, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 19 others
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Yeah, I doubt 90% are glad they made it. I don't dispute that some people are happy to have survived cbt but I am sure there are plenty who keep on suffering. I swear society and these bodies make some of us feel trapped. Feels like a never ending spiral of pain sometimes.

Reactions: deleted, Merlay, Ricky1@@ and 17 others
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
Statistics are very misleading.

Reactions: _Minsk, lex, Merlay and 16 others
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
No, where did you find that statistic?

It's actually quite the opposite, by a lot. The risk of attempting suicide is extremelly high after a failed one, that's the reason they lock us up and force us to take medicine after we fail.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Merlay, demuic and 19 others
D

Deleted member 25174

Jan 4, 2021
I seem to be in the 10% wish I was with my money

Reactions: Ricky1@@, sourpink and neitherherenorthere
Latios

Latios

Experienced
Nov 22, 2020
90% of all statistics are made up on the spot

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Musketeer, lex, lobster salad and 18 others
K

KolK

Nov 29, 2020
They can't possibly tell you otherwise..

Reactions: _Minsk, demuic, sourpink and 4 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
When I failed to CTB last August, I felt kinda glad to be alive because everyone was really worrying about me and very sad. I thought something like "hey, people do actually care about me! Cool!" but then, some weeks later, my suicidal thoughts and hatred towards life came back.

Now, I don't feel glad to be alive at all and I don't care about anybody (only my dad, dog and my friends on SS of course lol)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: mini_weeny, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 11 others
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
Sounds like a pro-life statistic that appeared out of thin air.

Reactions: Musketeer, _Minsk, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 20 others
throughtheglass

throughtheglass

oof
Nov 28, 2020
Does anyone here have scientific articles to back up this claim? It sounds like the percentage was made up

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Merlay, NightmareTour and 3 others
greyhound

greyhound

Arcanist
Oct 8, 2020
What about the people that succeed, that's the statistic I want to know.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, JustHeckinKillMe and 7 others
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Does anyone here have scientific articles to back up this claim? It sounds like the percentage was made up

In the article the guy survived an attempt by train, though I think mostly his relatives spoke on his behalf since he was a mute vegetable.

• Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: Musketeer, kite, Pen>Sword and 9 others
M

makingsure4

Student
Jan 6, 2021
I read 9 out of 10 people who attempt suicide never try again. But how many times have you attempted when no one knew later or they left with it looking like an accident. They said 1 out every 100,000 commit suicide so those two stats together do show high chance of suicide attempt again.

Reactions: Weeping willow, Merlay, NightmareTour and 2 others
H

HenryHobkins

Student
Nov 5, 2020
i wonder how they collect that data, and the types of people they specifically survey

Reactions: Merlay, Deleted member 1768, NeverSatisfied and 3 others
Ardesevent

Ardesevent

It’s the end of the line, cowboy
Feb 2, 2020
Yeah, the statistic has been reworded a bit. It's supposed to be 90% of people who attempt suicide do not end up dying from it. Doesn't mean they're glad to live, just means they didn't die.

Reactions: Merlay, Ricky1@@, NightmareTour and 6 others

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I would very like to know the sample size, how the individuals were picked (because obviously not random), how these individuals were evaluated on the "gladness dichotomy", methods of study in general. I'd like to know more about the details of the study that produced the result in title.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Weeping willow, demuic and 6 others
greyhound

greyhound

Arcanist
Oct 8, 2020
I'm sure that stat is inflated by all the 'attempts' like via suicide by chugging several energy drinks as a recent poster was going to try.

Reactions: demuic and sourpink
M

makingsure4

Student
Jan 6, 2021

"Deadliness of attempted suicide has been dramatically underestimated." by the Mayo Clinic​

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, sourpink and NeverSatisfied
ToughTimes

ToughTimes

Jan 13, 2021
Yeah, the statistic has been reworded a bit. It's supposed to be 90% of people who attempt suicide do not end up dying from it. Doesn't mean they're glad to live, just means they didn't die.
That is also the percentage I have seen when reading my country's Suicide Hotline webpage when it comes to failed attempts.

Reactions: NeverSatisfied
Nodscene

Nodscene

Its time
Jun 7, 2019
Right from the first paragraph of the link

"Approximately 7% (range: 5-11%) of attempters eventually died by suicide, approximately 23% reattempted nonfatally, and 70% had no further attempts."

So that's showing that 30% reattempt with 5%-11% eventually succeeding and approx 23% make subsequent attempts but don't succeed.

No idea where that 10% comes from. That's the problem.with statistics, they can be manipulated to suit whomever wants certain results. Just look at how the pharmacies manipulate their clinical studies..

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, demuic, it's_all_a_game and 2 others
DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
This is legit just survivorship bias.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, ihatemen420, demuic and 5 others
N

needaplan

Student
Jan 31, 2020
A part retries, a part never wanted to die in the first place and setup the attempt from poor judgement and no proper planning, another part realy tries and during attempt survives, due to their subconcious will to survive or finish something, those who want to die and have a proper setup die.
I think every case is different and also how many tries happen without anybody knowing about it and people retry, so the data is probably pretty unreliable.

Reactions: sourpink
shadowchaser

shadowchaser

Aug 1, 2019
Lol, have they asked the people who succeeded?

• Yay!
Reactions: apathetic., WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Weeping willow and 8 others
Nodscene

Nodscene

Its time
Jun 7, 2019
You also have to take into consideration how many people lied about making a second attempt or planning a second attempt. That will also affect the numbers.

Reactions: Merlay, ihatemen420, demuic and 3 others
not4us

not4us

Experienced
Sep 21, 2019
Attempting suicide is a win-win situation then.

Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey

Student
Jun 17, 2020
How many of those attempts were impulsive and poorly conceived?

I can see how someone who impulsively attempted to end their life could easily regret it later, especially if their actions were spurred by a relatively temporary setback. I suspect those numbers would be vastly different if you were to speak with survivors who have been chronically suicidal and/or carefully planned their attempts over a prolonged period of time.

Half a lifetime ago, I was involved in a serious high speed single-car accident that I shouldn't have walked away from. (It was not intentional.) My last thought before impact was relief that nobody would ever have to know that I actually wanted what was about to happen. My first thought upon coming to was anger, regret, and despondency at the fact that I'd escaped relatively unscathed. The car was upside down. Gas was pouring into the cab and smoking. I stayed (hoping the thing would explode), until I saw a couple of people venturing down the hill and extricated myself because I didn't want anyone else getting injured on my behalf.

I can't tell you how many times I've driven by that spot over the years and either bawled or gotten physically ill over the fact that I survived. Should I fail, I can't imagine I will be pleased with the outcome or any more enthused about my continued existence.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Weeping willow, Merlay and 11 others
Nodscene

Nodscene

Its time
Jun 7, 2019
How many of those attempts were impulsive and poorly conceived?

I can see how someone who impulsively attempted to end their life could easily regret it later, especially if their actions were spurred by a relatively temporary setback. I suspect those numbers would be vastly different if you were to speak with survivors who have been chronically suicidal and/or carefully planned their attempts over a prolonged period of time.

Half a lifetime ago, I was involved in a serious high speed single-car accident that I shouldn't have walked away from. (It was not intentional.) My last thought before impact was relief that nobody would ever have to know that I actually wanted what was about to happen. My first thought upon coming to was anger, regret, and despondency at the fact that I'd escaped relatively unscathed. The car was upside down. Gas was pouring into the cab and smoking. I stayed (hoping the thing would explode), until I saw a couple of people venturing down the hill and extricated myself because I didn't want anyone else getting injured on my behalf.

I can't tell you how many times I've driven by that spot over the years and either bawled or gotten physically ill over the fact that I survived. Should I fail, I can't imagine I will be pleased with the outcome or any more enthused about my continued existence.

I kind of know how you feel. I've been in 2 car accidents, both at highway speeds and both times I rolled the car multiple times. Aside from jacking my already wrecked back I walked away unscathed. It's like what the fuck do I have to do to end things.

Hope you eventually find your peace.

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Shades of Grey and Weeping willow
Marktheghost

Marktheghost

Paragon
Feb 20, 2020
Reactions: neitherherenorthere, demuic, greyhound and 2 others