• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

A

ARawYouth

Dec 10, 2021

"Nine out of ten people who attempt suicide and survive will not go on to die by suicide at a later date. This has been well-established in the suicidology literature. A literature review (Owens 2002) summarized 90 studies that have followed over time people who have made suicide attempts that resulted in medical care. Approximately 7% (range: 5-11%) of attempters eventually died by suicide, approximately 23% reattempted non-fatally, and 70% had no further attempts."

Why do you guys think that is? Is that because their attempts are impulsive or not thought through?
I'd wager that it's because they got better access to mental healthcare since people might take them more seriously, or perhaps the attempt was traumatic and they don't want to fuck it up again. People would probably also check in with them more, when they probably wouldn't otherwise.

D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
I'd wager that it's because they got better access to mental healthcare since people might take them more seriously, or perhaps the attempt was traumatic and they don't want to fuck it up again. People would probably also check in with them more, when they probably wouldn't otherwise.
Well it could also be the suicidal regret thingy? Like the bridge jumpers who regretted jumping after doing the deed. Perhaps some problems truly start to look small when you decide to ctb. Idk.

Reactions: sserafim
B

barkbark

Jan 22, 2024
Lol we wouldn't have a society at all lmao. If death was so accepted and free so that after every minor inconvenience someone goes for euthanesia I think we would pretty quickly all die out. This isn't solving anything lol.
i completely missed this post until after i already commented but i just had to point this out.

if a society is so soul crushing that easier access to euthanasia would lead to enough people dying that it would crumble, that's not a flaw of euthanasia, that's a flaw of society. i do think that there should be some major gatekeeping of euthanasia but frankly a society that dies off because of (reasonably gatekept) euthanasia is one not worth going forward. i know you say that this is after minor inconveniences but i doubt most would just press the button after a minor inconvenience anyway
edit:
And all the people who surround you. What makes you think you aren't the one who specifically chose them to accompany you on your journey before you were born? What if you chose this family to be born into for whatever reason but that choice was the decision of your soul before you were born?
this also hit wrong and i realized why after posting so i went back to quote it. you do realize there are people here whose families abused or neglected them right? i have to say i've never been blamed for being born into a neglectful family before, but i guess there's a first time for everything and it really is my fault right? everything else is after all :)

Last edited:
sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
I also heard that some people choose to be autistic or mentally disabled because their actual soul plan is to teach other people around them. Idk how true it is.
Well then I must be one of those souls bc I have Asperger's/autism...idk why I would do this to myself, having it is like a living hell

D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
i completely missed this post until after i already commented but i just had to point this out.

if a society is so soul crushing that easier access to euthanasia would lead to enough people dying that it would crumble, that's not a flaw of euthanasia, that's a flaw of society. i do think that there should be some major gatekeeping of euthanasia but frankly a society that dies off because of (reasonably gatekept) euthanasia is one not worth going forward
Yeah the key here is reasonably gatekept. I think that the whole argument hinges on this. There will obviously be some form of hardship in every society we have now. Key is how much is too much.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Yes, I've heard that too . I want to punch my higher self If I choose to be mentally ill
Same, I think that if my higher self chose to have Asperger's then it was dumb/stupid

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Dang I'm sorry. Is it hard for you socially?
Yeah, it's pretty hard. I basically feel like I'm on the wrong planet and that humans are a foreign species to me. I can't connect or relate to people and I have to mask in my interactions with them as it doesn't come naturally to me, it's all learned and really draining because I have to think about it, it's not instinctive. I like online communication though but in-person tires me, I don't like being around people or talking to/interacting with them cause first of all, I don't like people, and second of all, because it takes a lot of energy. I don't even feel like a real human tbh

divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Enlightened
Jan 1, 2024
Honestly that's the only part that scares me. The fear that it might get worse after I die. But again; maybe people like that feel the weight of life differently than others, who knows

Same, I think that if my higher self chose to have Asperger's then it was dumb/stupid
Maybe we will find out when we die
Yeah, it's pretty hard. I basically feel like I'm on the wrong planet and that humans are a foreign species to me. I can't connect or relate to people and I have to mask in my interactions with them as it doesn't come naturally to me, it's all learned and really draining because I have to think about it, it's not instinctive. I like online communication though but in-person tires me, I don't like being around people or talking to/interacting with them
Online it seems you understand people

D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
Yeah, it's pretty hard. I basically feel like I'm on the wrong planet and that humans are a foreign species to me. I can't connect or relate to people and I have to mask in my interactions with them as it doesn't come naturally to me, it's all learned and really draining because I have to think about it, it's not instinctive. I like online communication though but in-person tires me, I don't like being around people or talking to/interacting with them cause first of all, I don't like people, and second of all, because it takes a lot of energy. I don't even feel like a real human tbh
Yeah im not autistic or anything and even then being an introvert socializing sucks

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Maybe we will find out when we die

Online it seems you understand people
I heard that when you die there's a soul trap to get you to reincarnate again so right now I'm trying to find out ways to escape it. I would be fine if my soul stays in the void forever, I just really don't want to have to go through this whole life thing all over again. I heard that you can escape the soul trap by not going into the light, but if you don't go into the light then where will you go?

Last edited:
D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
I heard that when you die there's a soul trap to get you to reincarnate again so right now I'm trying to find out ways to escape it. I would be fine if my soul stays in the void forever, I just really don't want to have to go through this whole life thing all over again
It's bullshit lol. And even if it wasn't. What makes you think that who you are now will be the same person who you will be after death? You may have zero control over your decisions.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
It's bullshit lol. And even if it wasn't. What makes you think that who you are now will be the same person who you will be after death? You may have zero control over your decisions.
What do you mean by that? Why wouldn't you be the same person after death? How would you have zero control over your decisions? I also heard that people choose to reincarnate, and hopefully my higher self chooses not to. The more sinister theory is that they're tricked to do so by archons who love-bomb and entice them

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds
D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
this also hit wrong and i realized why after posting so i went back to quote it. you do realize there are people here whose families abused or neglected them right? i have to say i've never been blamed for being born into a neglectful family before, but i guess there's a first time for everything and it really is my fault right? everything else is after all :)
I am not defending this point of view so to say. I'm simply saying this is something brought up often in spiritual circles. It's possibly wrong and you didn't choose anything. I wasn't born in a great family either. But I can see how it could be a case for karma from previous lifes etc or simply a lesson one needs to overcome. Again, I don't have a point of view on this topic I'm simply stating what spiritual circles would say. I also understand that there are scenarios where a child undergoes so much torture that there isn't any possible justification for that
What do you mean by that? Why wouldn't you be the same person after death? How would you have zero control over your decisions? I also heard that people choose to reincarnate, and hopefully my higher self chooses not to. The more sinister theory is that they're tricked to do so by archons who love-bomb and entice them
Idk. I'm just thinking. It's rather late I'd rather go to bed.

• Informative
I

Itssoover

Feb 18, 2024

"Nine out of ten people who attempt suicide and survive will not go on to die by suicide at a later date. This has been well-established in the suicidology literature. A literature review (Owens 2002) summarized 90 studies that have followed over time people who have made suicide attempts that resulted in medical care. Approximately 7% (range: 5-11%) of attempters eventually died by suicide, approximately 23% reattempted non-fatally, and 70% had no further attempts."

Why do you guys think that is? Is that because their attempts are impulsive or not thought through?
I did 7 Attempts in my live and still wanna kill myself every day. I think the Paper is bad because most suicide attempts remain unnoticed and this leads to a selection bias.

BlazingBob

BlazingBob

Mage
Oct 28, 2021
I don't think death is bad or harmful to you. But it is harmful to people around you. I could see how your system would work if everyone was just a cruel emotionless creature I guess. People have families, kids, get attached to each other. Dead children destroy families. Dead partners, husbands destroy marriages. It is absolutely impossible to have such a view of death as you have because fundamentally humans get attached to each other. Unless you live your life as a hermit without family, this kind of thinking doesn't lead anywhere. This is why death is considered last resort because your death is the worst nightmare for people who love you. And if we take this kind of thinking into broader society what you have is a huge disaster.

This is why when you have someone that loves you and if you come in and tell them. Sorry I gotta ctb, chances are if they love you they will be sad if not totally emotionally destroyed. And after your death they will suffer and miss you. This is part of the reason why our society views death that way.
My dad has encouraged me to ctb too many times to count. My mom is heartless. Both are toxic narcissists. I won't be missed.

Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
Not really it's just called having morals and compassion

So where is the morals and compassion in forcing someone to remain in this life against their will, because some arbitrary system decides they're not suffering enough? Suffering is subjective to the person. Who has the right to force someone to remain living against their will?
I don't think you have actually seen what a grieving mother looks like who lost her child or husband. If you can look at her and say" hey you were actually guilt tripping your son into living an unhappy life, he did what he wanted so I'm sorry" I think there is something wrong with that don't you think?

There is a big difference between being unhappy and unwilling to change anything to being in horrible pain. Both can lead to ctb but one of them you can change if you work on it and change something in your life.

Of course I've seen grieving people. And I have compassion for them naturally. But these same grieving parents also brought human life into this world, knowing full well that this person could suffer horribly. They made this decision anyway, despite the obvious risks. Near where I live, there are 3 families with profoundly disabled adult children that need lifelong care. While I have compassion for these parents, they brought these people into existence knowing full well that disability was possible. From a moral and humane perspective, I could never do this... my conscience would not allow me to pro-create with this potential outcome.

Who are you to judge someone's suffering? You're not in their shoes... for some people any amount of suffering in this life is unacceptable. Especially since death and non existence cannot cause suffering.
And allow me to depart and start speaking religiously. Why are you so confident you didn't choose this life? What makes you think that you aren't the one creating the next life you are going to live? And all the people who surround you. What makes you think you aren't the one who specifically chose them to accompany you on your journey before you were born? What if you chose this family to be born into for whatever reason but that choice was the decision of your soul before you were born?
Why are you so confident that people didn't choose suicide as their destiny? (if you believe in such things) Death is natural and so is suicide. Humans have been committing suicide in all of recorded history. Even some ancient Greek philosophers considered suicide to be preferable to a natural death, and also did not see death as an inherently bad thing.
I don't see how it is a trap. People are just surviving and living. The trap isn't forced on anyone.
It's the family unit that imposes life. There for, it is the family that creates the conditions for suffering to be possible in the first place.

Also, many people's problems on this forum, very often stem directly from broken and dysfunctional family life. To then use someone's family against them, in trying to force them to remain in this life... it is a form of emotional blackmail / guilt tripping. A terrible strategy that usually only makes things worse for people.
Where did I say that? Everyone suffers, including regular people and suicidal people. The degree of suffering is different and this is why people should have the option to carefully consider if they can change something or if their only way is to leave the life.
What if some people don't consider ANY suffering to be acceptable for their life? Do you have the right to force them to stay alive against their will?
The decision to ctb should be made by an individual who carefully considers how their ctb will affect others and whether or not they are capable of putting up with it or not. I think it's fairly obvious.
So if they're capable of enduring something, they should be forced to stick around? What if they don't want to endure something anymore? Do they have the right to end things on their own terms under your proposed system?
In some cases it is illogical. If you are happy, happy family good health good money. Why die? It's absolutely illogical to me.
Happiness is subjective. Someone could look happy from the outside, but it may just be a facade. If someone decides they no longer enjoy this life, then by definition they are no longer happy from their perspective. Why should it matter what view society has of their life? It's the individual living their life.
Evidence in life for who? Some people live happy lives from birth till death. What evidence?
You said healthy people wanting to die is irrational. This is simply not true, the evidence does not support this. There are plenty of healthy people, who do not enjoy their life anymore and want to end it in a very rational and sensible manner. Or people who have particular standards by which they measure a good life, and below this level is not deemed satisfactory. The famous one being the writer martin manley, who considered life past the age of 60 to be unappealing. He wasn't sick, he just made a rational decision to go out on his own terms at 60.

And besides, unless you're going to come up with some magic bullet to cure all health problems in society... then suicide will remain a persistent option for people who have unsolvable health conditions. And they don't even need to be terminal diseases... just unsatisfactory living standards.
Again, there is generally absolutely nobody who is perfectly healthy in mind, body, wealth etc who considers suicide. If you go and look at any celebrity who lived and ctbed you would always find that they suffered from something. The decision to leave life implies having a problem you are avoiding. In some cases the problems can be too big for you to deal with. In some cases they are not.
Again, not true.

But then it should be everyone's individual decision anyway. There is no such thing as a problem free life - it doesn't exist. People should have the right to decide for themselves, which problems they want to endure or battle through. Regardless of what others think.
Catching the bus because life is generally suffering(but you are not suffering at the moment) is an illogical reason to die. So you are dying because sometime in the future you may suffer? Why not wait to see whether or not you can overcome it? Absolutely illogical to me.
Yes, illogical to YOU...

But in a world where we respect individual choice and autonomy, what YOU think about someone else's life isn't the most important factor. Imposing your standards onto someone else, is in effect disrespecting their right to choice and free will.
Look at how many great philosophers our history has made. Why, if they were so smart and logical did they not just ctb? After all they could avoid needeless suffering? None of them did.
Many did... in fact some of the smartest and most admired thinkers were open to suicide and embracing death.

"The whole life of the philosopher, is a preparation for death" Plato

"Those who practice philosophy in the right way, are in training for dying and they fear death the least of all men" Plato

"I cannot escape death, but at least I can escape the fear of it" Epictetus

"Ordinary people seem not to realise, that those who really apply themselves in the right way to philosophy, are directly and of their own accord, preparing themselves for dying and death" Socrates

Refer to my comment above. Some of the greatest philosophers, thinkers, writers were simply irrational and lacking in wisdom or intelligence because they decided to continue living instead of dying. I think the greatest wisdom is to actually live inspite of suffering. And I say that as someone who will ctb soon.

If life is fundamentally a good and valuable thing, then why would you fear giving people the choice/right to leave? You should feel confident that enough people will choose life, even if they have the choice of a painless and peaceful death. If you don't feel confident of this, and you fear too many people will choose death... what does this actually say about the product you're trying to sell?

Do you feel the need to lock the doors at a great party? Because you fear, if given the choice or free will, too many people will leave? It wasn't much of a party in that case... nobody should be obligated to stick around in an unhappy life. There is no logical argument that supports this mentality.

Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
My dad has encouraged me to ctb too many times to count. My mom is heartless. Both are toxic narcissists. I won't be missed.

If we apply @mmikkee1 's standard to childbirth in the same way as they apply it to ctb… then only the most determined and committed people, with the most convincing reasons, would be allowed to have children.

So no more impulsive or badly thought out childbirths would be allowed. Careful vetting of prospective parents would be needed… many millions of people would be denied the right to pro-create as a safeguard against anyone being stuck with shitty parents/family. Can't have people making bad decisions!

Why would birth be excluded from such stringent standards, that someone might wish to apply to death? They're both serious decisions, right?

I wonder what this would do to society and western birth rates in particular? Hmm… I wonder!?

P

Peerless_Cucumber

The one and only king of cucumbers
Feb 22, 2023
I'm scared of being locked up again if I fail another time. I'm traumatized from the first time. That's what has kept me alive until now.
And allow me to depart and start speaking religiously. Why are you so confident you didn't choose this life? What makes you think that you aren't the one creating the next life you are going to live? And all the people who surround you. What makes you think you aren't the one who specifically chose them to accompany you on your journey before you were born? What if you chose this family to be born into for whatever reason but that choice was the decision of your soul before you were born?
Not the person you quoted but since this seems quite important to you I thought I'd give my perspective on this matter as someone who believes in the same thing.

Your ability to choose doesn't end with you being born. Even if your soul chose to be here you can still make the choice to ctb now. You have no obligation to continue existing just because your soul decided for you to be born in these circumstances at an earlier point in time. If you believe in fate maybe your soul decided for you to ctb as well before you were even born. Maybe your soul even made that decision together with the souls of your loved ones so they can learn from it. Ctb doesn't go against the things you listed. If you decide to ctb that is automatically also a decision your soul makes. Ctb doesn't go against the souls plan as much as deciding to go to university or not doesn't.

Last edited:
Aim

Aim

🤍
Sep 12, 2023
Per day Statistically there maybe bs some prof those this one, looking at this, I believe this will drastically change in the future when more peace full methods enters the game. 🤹

SilentSadness

SilentSadness

Suffering.
Feb 28, 2023
This statistic is unsurprising because it's difficult to motivate oneself to try again after they fail, especially when there are such devastating risks. If 30% of people are attempting again despite the risks, that's actually quite high, it just shows that keeping people alive against their will is unhelpful. We also live in a society that criminalises the right to die, which means you have to be very courageous or desperate to attempt again.

D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
So where is the morals and compassion in forcing someone to remain in this life against their will, because some arbitrary system decides they're not suffering enough? Suffering is subjective to the person. Who has the right to force someone to remain living against their will?
The same right you have when you see a child wanting to ctb and you tell them not to. You are forcing them to live. See what I mean? We are coming back to our conversation in another thread and you still don't get it. Saying no I don't think it's the right choice for you means forcing them to remain against their will. Or will you let a child die like that?
Of course I've seen grieving people. And I have compassion for them naturally. But these same grieving parents also brought human life into this world, knowing full well that this person could suffer horribly. They made this decision anyway, despite the obvious risks. Near where I live, there are 3 families with profoundly disabled adult children that need lifelong care. While I have compassion for these parents, they brought these people into existence knowing full well that disability was possible. From a moral and humane perspective, I could never do this... my conscience would not allow me to pro-create with this potential outcome.
We were not talking about disabled people. And we weren't talking about horrible suffering
Who are you to judge someone's suffering? You're not in their shoes... for some people any amount of suffering in this life is unacceptable. Especially since death and non existence cannot cause suffering.
So if a child tells you they suffer and want to ctb you will let them? After all you don't know how much they are suffering. What makes you think you should be able to stop them?
Why are you so confident that people didn't choose suicide as their destiny? (if you believe in such things) Death is natural and so is suicide. Humans have been committing suicide in all of recorded history. Even some ancient Greek philosophers considered suicide to be preferable to a natural death, and also did not see death as an inherently bad thing.
They could. I didn't say it isn't possible
It's the family unit that imposes life. There for, it is the family that creates the conditions for suffering to be possible in the first place.
Ok so what? Let everyone just die whenever they feel like it? We had this conversation before this isn't how it works
Also, many people's problems on this forum, very often stem directly from broken and dysfunctional family life. To then use someone's family against them, in trying to force them to remain in this life... it is a form of emotional blackmail / guilt tripping. A terrible strategy that usually only makes things worse for people.
If they have no connection with a family, it's different. It's about emotional connection and how well you know each other. Every case is different and you try to broadly apply your perspective onto all
What if some people don't consider ANY suffering to be acceptable for their life? Do you have the right to force them to stay alive against their will?
Idk. Would you let a guy who just broke up with his gf to die if he wanted to? Seems strange to me
So if they're capable of enduring something, they should be forced to stick around? What if they don't want to endure something anymore? Do they have the right to end things on their own terms under your proposed system?
No one is forcing people to stick around. These people should get help to see if they can change things around if they can't then that's it
Happiness is subjective. Someone could look happy from the outside, but it may just be a facade. If someone decides they no longer enjoy this life, then by definition they are no longer happy from their perspective. Why should it matter what view society has of their life? It's the individual living their life.
That means they are depressed not happy. I'm talking about happy people
You said healthy people wanting to die is irrational. This is simply not true, the evidence does not support this. There are plenty of healthy people, who do not enjoy their life anymore and want to end it in a very rational and sensible manner. Or people who have particular standards by which they measure a good life, and below this level is not deemed satisfactory. The famous one being the writer martin manley, who considered life past the age of 60 to be unappealing. He wasn't sick, he just made a rational decision to go out on his own terms at 60.
There is no evidence regarding that fact. I said when everything is fine, not enjoying life anymore means something isn't fine.
And besides, unless you're going to come up with some magic bullet to cure all health problems in society... then suicide will remain a persistent option for people who have unsolvable health conditions. And they don't even need to be terminal diseases... just unsatisfactory living standards.
Ok well I never debated someone wanting to exist due to low life quality
Again, not true.

But then it should be everyone's individual decision anyway. There is no such thing as a problem free life - it doesn't exist. People should have the right to decide for themselves, which problems they want to endure or battle through. Regardless of what others think.
Again same argument you made last time. If everyone has free will to do what they want to do without restrictions then you would have teenagers and kids committing suicide. You think that's normal?
Yes, illogical to YOU...

But in a world where we respect individual choice and autonomy, what YOU think about someone else's life isn't the most important factor. Imposing your standards onto someone else, is in effect disrespecting their right to choice and free will.
Again see above. Whenever you stop someone from ctb you are imposing your standard onto them. So would you let kids die then? Or people under influence of drugs or psychosis? After all that's what they say they want, must be true right?
Many did... in fact some of the smartest and most admired thinkers were open to suicide and embracing death.

"The whole life of the philosopher, is a preparation for death" Plato

"Those who practice philosophy in the right way, are in training for dying and they fear death the least of all men" Plato

"I cannot escape death, but at least I can escape the fear of it" Epictetus

"Ordinary people seem not to realise, that those who really apply themselves in the right way to philosophy, are directly and of their own accord, preparing themselves for dying and death" Socrates
These people didnt actually ctb though? They just thought that and that's fine but they didnt ctb. You said it is a sign of great wisdom if people see how pointless life is and crb because of it. None of the philosophers you mentioned committed suicide? Are they stupid or did they see something in life that you aren't seeing?
If life is fundamentally a good and valuable thing, then why would you fear giving people the choice/right to leave? You should feel confident that enough people will choose life, even if they have the choice of a painless and peaceful death. If you don't feel confident of this, and you fear too many people will choose death... what does this actually say about the product you're trying to sell?
If life was all happy stuff and shit without struggle it would be boring as fuck. Still doesn't justify letting people who's brains aren't even fully formed to be free in their choices etc without giving them some sort of help which is still you imposing your standard onto them. People don't drive until they are like 18 or drink. Now kids and teenagers should be able to decide whether they want to live or not?
Do you feel the need to lock the doors at a great party? Because you fear, if given the choice or free will, too many people will leave? It wasn't much of a party in that case... nobody should be obligated to stick around in an unhappy life. There is no logical argument that supports this mentality.
The party may get better. And for many it does. If you just got in and you don't like it? Maybe stick around for a bit to see if you enjoy it more
If we apply @mmikkee1 's standard to childbirth in the same way as they apply it to ctb… then only the most determined and committed people, with the most convincing reasons, would be allowed to have children.

So no more impulsive or badly thought out childbirths would be allowed. Careful vetting of prospective parents would be needed… many millions of people would be denied the right to pro-create as a safeguard against anyone being stuck with shitty parents/family. Can't have people making bad decisions!

Why would birth be excluded from such stringent standards, that someone might wish to apply to death? They're both serious decisions, right?

I wonder what this would do to society and western birth rates in particular? Hmm… I wonder!?
I don't think the analogy of people having the right to die at any moment they want without any sort of restrictions or gatekeeping is the same as having an impulsive baby. You are bringing life into this world not letting someone take it.

Again to summarize: whenever you stop someone from ctb, whether that's a child or a person under psychosis, you are imposing your standard on them. According to you, we should just not care and let them go. It's silly.

Last edited:
AlcoholicsCalculus

AlcoholicsCalculus

Stressed by impermanence
Feb 25, 2024
Do you think that people would still f*ck so much and create babies if s*x wasn't pleasurable? I think that nature made it intentionally pleasurable just so that species would propagate and survive, and this is a detrimental thing. Procreation is the root of all suffering, it's immoral.
Exactly. Life is pretty much a ponzi scheme. All people care about is bringing more unwilling participants into this shitty existence. Can't really blame them though, they're just doing what they're programmed to do.

underthedatetree

underthedatetree

Oct 20, 2023
Flip the statement

"if you attempt suicide but survive, there now is a 1 in 10 chance suicide will be your eventual cause of death"

then it sounds quite drastic. I think anorexia has a similar death rate.

H

HamesThePenguin

Mar 4, 2024
Maybe they finally got the help and support they deserve. Here in the UK it's not likely to be so positive.

We have hardly any suicide prevention or support here.
to be honest I think there is okayish suicide prevention /MH support - it's more just that the UK is such a depressing place to live lmao, especially as a young person imo

AshersGirl

AshersGirl

Girl, Interrupted
Apr 29, 2022
Haven't read whole thread, but re OP.
I don't think I believe the statistics.
I've attempted suicide (and failed, obviously) many times. Actually my last attempt was (impulsively) about 3 weeks ago.

I didn't die but nor did I go to the hospital, nor did I tell anyone.

They can only base their statistics on data that says:

1. Someone attempted. Got saved, called for help, had intervention, whatever - but essentially ended up in hospital
2. What about the countless attempts nobody knows about?

Because after the stigma associated with my teenage years and when people knew, the pity or looking at you like you're an alien species - I simply stopped telling anyone. It'd only be if someone found me (unlikely, I live alone) a failed attempt would go on my medical record.

According to my medical record I may have had suicidal ideation fairly consistently my whole life but I haven't tried to kill myself for maybe… 18 years?

Which is complete and utter bullshit but I refuse to be locked up, watched, or treated like an alien species. So, nobody knows. And I'm pretty sure that many people are like me.