Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
I worry that Covid is here to stay. It seems people who recover from one strain can get infected by another. Hence, even with a vaccine, we're looking at cycles of new infections.

So, what will that do: restaurants, pubic transportation, movie theaters, concerts, gyms, classrooms, etc will all be places where the risk of transmission is greater and fewer people will use them. That's 10-20% of the economy.

Unemployment, homelessness, civil unrest will worsen. The working class will decend into poverty. National debts will continue to rise. Currencies will be devalued. Hyper-inflation may ensue.

Travel will require quarantine, masks will continue to be required, as will social distancing.
This is all not just until the end of the year, it is going to be life from this point onwards.

Maybe it will be different. But I don't see a permanent vaccine. Maybe better treatment including Ace2 barriers. Maybe we learn enough so that mortality rates drop to flu-levels... But that may be a few years out. In the mean time, welcome to the new Covidian World.

• Aww..
Reactions: Failedboy, Blueman, Final Escape and 12 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Maybe we learn enough so that mortality rates drop to flu-levels... But that may be a few years out. In the mean time, welcome to the new Covidian World.
I thought the flu already had higher mortality rates than COVID. The only reason people are more fearful of its spread is because there could be long term damage that is yet unknown. They've already found that some of people who have had it but recovered still have ongoing heart and lung problems and even impaired cognitive function.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Economically speaking this is a slow motion trainwreck. The ripple effect hasn't fully hit.

From all the official reports I've read so far they're still predicting 12-18 more months of this shit. With lockdown levels changing nearly month to month.

This is almost certainly the final nail in the coffin for small businesses of any type. Suicide rates are already increasing, my prediction is a huge spike in SS members here soon ...

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Homecoming, Final Escape, GravityUtilizer and 11 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Everything has it's time and everything dies. COVID is the tip of a much bigger iceberg that is now invisible because it's so fucking close. It's bad enough, but wait and see what's around the corner. It's part of a larger pattern that is progressing regardless of smiling men in suits and unspoken agenda.

Reactions: netrezven, Deleted member 17331, Deleted member 4993 and 7 others
icanhasnick

icanhasnick

Student
Sep 3, 2020
welcome to the new Covidian World.
I'd rather check out
I worry that Covid is here to stay
Well, yeah, like the flu generally of which covid is in practice a subset, is here to stay. But this is the first time the world goes fucking bonkers over some people dying. As if people din't ever die before.

• Aww..
Reactions: Homecoming, TheQ22 and Susannah
Enabran255

Enabran255

Numbed
Oct 2, 2019
The slow, inexorable eroding of our freedoms and liberties that was already happening has been accelerated profusely by this event, it's the perfect excuse to do away with all the pretense. I believe that much like air travel after 9/11, we'll see a stark, permanent contrast in what everyday life was like before and after.

All of the pandemonium will continue for years and serve as the perfect distraction for the powers that be to keep ramming through new laws that further strip away our rights and privacy, such as the US ban on end to end encryption.

The copious restrictions on our freedom of movement through closed borders and onerous bureaucracy will be here to stay for good. The exception, of course, will be the ruling class and elites, who will be exempt from such regulations - they're only meant for the little people after all. One need only see the blatant hypocrisy that's already happened in countries like Australia, which went completely totalitarian on its own citizens by banning them from leaving the country unless they could get granted an exception through bureaucracy, along with having thousands of dollars for mandatory quarantine upon return. But the wealthy and elites were not subject to this, of course - simple for them to get an exception to that.

At the same time, I believe air travel as we know it is finished for good. Up until this happened, it was within reach of the common people. Business travel was a huge part of what airlines relied on to be sustainable and have affordable fares. I don't think we will ever see a return to anything near the prevalence it had before this year. Companies are seeing that pretty much all of the things that were done with business travel can be done online, and that's a huge savings. There's no way the bean counters will go back to the way things were.

Meanwhile, all the draconian lockdowns and border bans that will be ongoing for several years (if not decades) will absolutely annihilate a majority of the airline companies. The end result of this will be a likely elimination of at least 80% of the existing airline companies, along with drastic cuts in routes. That smallish airport you used to rely on being able to get affordable airfare will be no more. Even if that airport doesn't go under, it'll be impossible to find an airline there with any useful routes, you'll be forced to drive to the nearest major hub, even if that's several hundred miles away.

All of these factors will conspire to drive fares through the roof. What in previous years was a $400 round trip 3000 mile ticket will now be several thousands of dollars and out of reach of all but the wealthy. Transoceanic flights will be tens of thousands.

Those of us who wanted to flee our home countries for a better life elsewhere are now going to find that's going to be forever impossible thanks to the above factors. For myself, I always held onto a foolish hope that maybe I could change my trainwreck of a life by doing such a drastic relocation. Now, that hope has been definitively snuffed out.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Final Escape, Kyrok, Deleted member 17331 and 4 others
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
My thoughts are very similar to some of the others already expressed. I'm not much into conspiracy theories but one guy caught my attention a while back called Yuri Bezmenov (see YouTube). He was a former KGB defector and did a lectre back in 1984 about how Marxists would destroy a country from within and this was happening to the West right then. There are 4 stages:

1) Demoralization - indoctrinate at least 1 generation of kids into the new ideology of being against their own state by things like teaching them about "rights" and "social justice" - instead of learning physics, maths, business, chemistry, it's gender studies, home economics, history of the cruelty of the British Empire or whatever.

2) Destabilization - increase through politics and media the rights of workers, anti establishment groups - workers rights, this groups rights, that groups rights, etc. Destroy family unit, religion, and other group / cultural identities, the criminals become the poor victims, police etc the evil bad guys.

3) Crisis - need to damage infrastructure, society and economy so that people are desperate and want an answer, a new idea, a strong leader.

4) Normalization - the new leader takes over, the new deal / order / system is implemented and people accept it with open arms, without a shot being fired. Then the former "useful idiots", the protesters, cultural leaders, etc (who imagined they would be in power) are rounded up and liquidated. The rest of the population get to enjoy the new Marxist system where everyone is equal (equally have nothing), except for those who are more equal than the others.

I honestly believe Covid is the opportunity to create the crisis (3). When economies are smashed, there is no work, people are made homeless, go bankrupt, etc then a new idea will emerge and we will have no option but to accept it.

The economy is like a big ship - the engines are off and we're just drifting under the momentum it's already built up. Once it stops it will be an almost impossible task, taking decades to get it moving again.

I also agree that in this time suicide rates will go through the roof, and the membership here will be higher than it's ever been, probably 4 or 5 times more within the next 18 months.

I also anecdotally have been told by 2 nurses and 1 doctor (independent of each other, they don't know or work with each other) that the UK is going to see a huge 2nd spike in October. How they know and can predict this I do not know, unless it's what they've been told is going to be the official story because it's already mapped out.

I had expected it to be honest, because October is the month the UK govt stopspaying people furlough money (part of their wages) - the perfect time to create unrest and panic and anxiety, if you were planning it,of course.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Final Escape, Kyrok and 3 others
Susannah

Susannah

Mage
Jul 2, 2018
I fear the social distance will have negative consequenses. We, Norwegians, are not warm- hearted people by nature, hugging each other, kissing in public. With Covid- 19, the distance between people rapidly increase.

• Aww..
Reactions: Homecoming, Deleted member 4993, Final Escape and 3 others
icanhasnick

icanhasnick

Student
Sep 3, 2020
Apparently warm or not warm-hearted, "people" do keep their lemming-like obedience intact.

• Love
Reactions: Final Escape, timetofly, TheQ22 and 1 other person
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
Apparently warm or not warm-hearted, "people" do keep their lemming-like obedience intact.
Yes and because of the initial panic stations we're all going to die reaction that was encouraged, people have now learned to stay at home when told, wear masks, keep apart, not see or talk to others, etc. And rely upon the state to survive - or don't and perish.

Almost like Pavlovian brain washing.

I predict that when the "big spike" occurs in October they will say this is because people haven't followed the rules - quarantine after holiday, too large groups, parties, etc - you will now obey and comply or be punished.

Oh I forgot to mention, was speaking to a guy who I thought had a really plausible thought, namely that our population has increased so much (around 2.5Billion in 1955 to almost 7.5 Billion today) that we're encroaching into more and more places where we've never been before - and inevitbly that means we're going t encounter more and more diseases and viruses we've never encountered before and that we have no immunity to.

I think covid was supposed to be related to some virus from bats in some remote cave in the middle of nowhere.

So it may not be the last of this kind of thing we encounter. Thought that made a lot of sense. I guess it's nature, balancing the books.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Kyrok and Susannah
timetofly

timetofly

Student
Aug 8, 2020
Thank you for this.

Life wasn't easy for me before this stupidity, but long walks with nobody around really helped. Now people are everywhere in lines to buy stuff, staring at me for wearing the mask "incorrectly" (yes, I love to breathe with my nose normally motherfuckers!), it's so exhausting…

And no, there's no point in explaining to them how weak this "terrible" virus is. I know two people who died because of it: they had their operations postponed and died. However, it wasn't the virus that killed them, but the government-mandated lockdown and the healthcare "heroes" that supported it. The government cares, yeah…

My predictions? More people will suffer and die because the government won't stop "caring" about us and the economic damage is already done, so there's more to come: more depression, anxiety, suicides. But we defeated the virus! Or not…

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed, Final Escape, Susannah and 1 other person
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I certainly hope that the predictions you mentioned aren't coming to pass. I could not live in such a world like that and if that is the reality for the future, then it would be my push to CTB (in addition to all existing, current factors and reasons).

Personally, I predict that with the current evidence of vaccine progress being promising, I'd like to think that sometime near the end of this year we will have enough data to determine the efficacy of the vaccine and then sometime in early or mid-2021 start rolling out vaccines to the most important people first (front-line healthcare workers, first responders, leaders and important people in charge), then the vulnerable and elderly, and finally, working it's way to the general populace. It will take months and maybe almost a year to vaccinate the vast majority of the population, but in the end, I do think there will be some semblance of normalcy, even if it takes years. Some changes may be permanent, but hopefully not too different from pre-covid or such that it would affect day to day life.

I do believe that for a while, people will become more health and sanitation conscious, like washing hands more frequently, keeping good hygiene practices, etc.

Reactions: Susannah, Kyrok and XYZ
icanhasnick

icanhasnick

Student
Sep 3, 2020
Even if they were to back down from the program after 2021, the damage is done. We're back to getting out of Africa and inventing agriculture.

Reactions: Final Escape, purplesmoothie and timetofly
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
I think it's the damage to the economy and society that can't be fixed easily.

For a vaccine I think it'll be like the flu one, where you need one every year because it keeps changing. It must have changed a lot already since infections are higher than at the peak, but deaths are very low?

It's kind of like what happened with mixamatosis (probably spelt that wrong) and rabbits, eventually either the rabbits all die and the virus then dies, or, as happens in nature often, the 2 "find a way" to co-exist - that is, the less lethal strains of the virus survive, the more agressive ones don't because they kill all the hosts.

icanhasnick

icanhasnick

Student
Sep 3, 2020
Not like there was a strain here that "killed all the hosts". The end result of this life-shattering "major pandemic" of 2020 is about comparable to the flu pandemic of every year for which no one ever gives fuck one.

Reactions: timetofly
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I predict that I won't be alive to see any of those years.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Homecoming, GoodPersonEffed and woxihuanni
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
Not like there was a strain here that "killed all the hosts". The end result of this life-shattering "major pandemic" of 2020 is about comparable to the flu pandemic of every year for which no one ever gives fuck one.
Yeah but what I mean is that even a super deadly virus that kills 90% of everything it comes into contact with will die because it kills all of it's hosts, all that will survive is the weaker mutated strain that doesn't kill as many of it's hosts.

They have to strike a balance, like the fox vs rabbit populations.

Too many rabbits and fox numbers increase as there's more food. Too many foxes and the rabbit numbers drop too much so some of the foxes die. Then the rabbit population increases, then the fox population increases.

Generally a balance is struck where populations exist together within some general tolerances.

So in the end with mixamatosis, in the beginning it killed huge swathes of the rabbits, until some natural immunity and the weaker strains mean both rabbits and mixam. survive.

But yes, covid was never that bad, I'm sure it's a social manipulation tool, or that's what it's being used as.

• Aww..
Reactions: Homecoming
PrettyStupid.

PrettyStupid.

Sep 3, 2020
I find it highly amusing that It takes coming to a site such as this to see someone mention the economy. You never hear the economy mentioned anywhere, especially not on the news. Lol.

Give this OP a cookie.

But in all seriousness, I can see what the OP is getting at and come November I too will be on the receiving end of unemployment once the unit I have worked at for 6 years is closed. Thanks to covid no doubt, or for the fact that this virus is giving what seems to be every employer the chance to cut staff.

So I think its time to watch the world burn. Anyone for front row seats to the end of the world.

Reactions: Kyrok, timetofly and GoodPersonEffed
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
My predictions

Covid: Early next year a vaccine will become available. Oxford University working with Astra Zeneca seem to have a promising vaccine in the final testing stages. My money is on them. The vaccine will slow down the virus, but since there will take time to vaccinate on a large scale, Covid will continue to make casualties, although nowhere near as many as this year. Since Covid mutates, like any other viruses, there will be new vaccines coming out every season, just as they do for seasonal flu.

The heath care system: I predict many of the patients who had Covid will need medical attention for a host of other problems they suffer from as a result of the viral infection, which will put a strain on the health care system.

World economy: I predict a big recession in 2021 caused by the disruption of our normal way of life in 2020. Everything from the fact that people stopped travelling by plane, to the fact that many businesses went bankrupt will have an impact on the global economy. Things will be dire in 2021. Many will lose their jobs.

Office space: The traditional office spaces will become a thing of the past. Office employees will continue to work from home, which will become the new normal standard. Microsoft Teams, Skype, Zoom and other programs like these will replace in-person human interaction.

Reactions: Susannah and Kyrok
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
More people will have died from other causes than covid. Probably millions from missed cancer treatments and lack of healthcare. I may be one of them.

• Aww..
Reactions: Homecoming, Susannah, Final Escape and 1 other person
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
My predictions

Covid: Early next year a vaccine will become available. Oxford University working with Astra Zeneca seem to have a promising vaccine in the final testing stages. My money is on them. The vaccine will slow down the virus, but since there will take time to vaccinate on a large scale, Covid will continue to make casualties, although nowhere near as many as this year. Since Covid mutates, like any other viruses, there will be new vaccines coming out every season, just as they do for seasonal flu.

The heath care system: I predict many of the patients who had Covid will need medical attention for a host of other problems they suffer from as a result of the viral infection, which will put a strain on the health care system.

World economy: I predict a big recession in 2021 caused by the disruption of our normal way of life in 2020. Everything from the fact that people stopped travelling by plane, to the fact that many businesses went bankrupt will have an impact on the global economy. Things will be dire in 2021. Many will lose their jobs.

Office space: The traditional office spaces will become a thing of the past. Office employees will continue to work from home, which will become the new normal standard. Microsoft Teams, Skype, Zoom and other programs like these will replace in-person human interaction.
The Oxford / Astra one has been put on hold for now, someone had a bad reaction to it.

Reactions: Final Escape, XYZ and Kyrok
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
The Oxford / Astra one has been put on hold for now, someone had a bad reaction to it.

I saw that on the news yesterday. I hope it's not the end. They put themselves on a pause until an independent teams of researchers reviews what happened.

H

Homecoming

Wizard
Aug 14, 2020
Suicide rates are already increasing, my prediction is a huge spike in SS members here soon ...
I really don't want that to happen now or in the near future, but... I cannot prevent it at all (and do you think that our creator LOVES watching IT's own creation suffers just for the sake of IT's own entertainment?!)

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Economic consequences are sure to last for at least a couple of years, although it's not that they hadn't happened already, you're probably already feeling it with all the people that lost their jobs. It would be tough for a while, but eventually it'll even out. I work in marketing, and just this Thursday we had an online meeting with our boss who explained that we're experiencing an insane spike in workload and will probably continue to deal with it for a while, because many big business that were holding back their funds during the height of covid panic in spring and summer are now slowly getting back to normal and investing money into further development, including advertisement. So basically the worst of it is probably already over. Yes, many people have already lost their jobs and unemployment is going to be bad for a while. Yes, some people might end up homeless. There probably would be more of inflation and more of lowering of quality of life. But I wouldn't say it would be on a catastrophic scale.

Eventually some vaccine for COVID will probably be discovered, with all the people working on it. And even if it wouldn't be - then eventually the whole thing will just become normalized, and people will stop being paranoid about it. Yeah, maybe you will be required to keep distance from others and wear a mask in public spaces, but businesses will eventually adjust to the new circumstances and learn to operate around it. I have a friend that comes from a region that has been in the state of war for the last 5 years, with tanks on the street, bombings of civil buildings and all that jazz. She moved here to sit out the worst of it, but then she moved back home, and informed that things back there are surprisingly normal. There is pretty much no definite government where she lives, there are military checkpoints everywhere, there are still bombings, electricity outages, curfew installed by the military, probably around a half of population fled permanently...and yet businesses adjusted and continue to operate, and she told me that some of them even strive more than they used to before the war. If people can adjust to that and normalize it, they can sure adjust to covid. We're resilient damn cockroaches, we will get through it!

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993