• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Nāgārjuna is famous for arguing that his philosophy was not a view, and that he in fact did not take any position... [he] states:

If I had any position, I thereby would be at fault. Since I have no position, I am not at fault at all. If there were anything to be observed through direct perception and the other instances [of valid cognition], it would be something to be established or rejected. However, since no such thing exists, I cannot be criticized.[83]

...Nāgārjuna criticized those whose mind held any "positions and beliefs", including the view of emptiness. As Nāgārjuna says: "The Victorious Ones have announced that emptiness is the relinquishing of all views. Those who are possessed of the view of emptiness are said to be incorrigible."

Therefore, according to perhaps the greatest and most influential 2nd century scholar, all positions help by all people are inherently flawed. No doubt Socrates would concur. Such is the paradox of true wisdom.

Unfortunately, this also means that your argument, no matter what it may be, is invalid.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: yellowjester, Velvet Fortress, Forever Sleep and 2 others
Jay Sea

Jay Sea

Mar 23, 2023
Is it possible that each of the following statements are statements of a position?

- If I had any position, I thereby would be at fault.

- Since I have no position, I am not at fault at all.

- If there were anything to be observed through direct perception and the other instances [of valid cognition], it would be something to be established or rejected.

- However, since no such thing exists, I cannot be criticized.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Is it possible that each of the following statements are statements of a position?
A most interesting question.

The proper context is contained within the broader texts and commentary. I've cherry-picked those comments from a vast tradition that the finest minds of Indian philosophy have spent thousands of years debating and evolving.

From my research, I have been quite humbled by what a complex topic 'emptiness' has turned out to be, and want to be upfront that I am not nearly well-versed enough to present any quality commentary. I can only put my own amateurish spin on the situation. So with that said...

Is no position a position? I see two possibilities:
1) It is like Switzerland's neutrality in WWII, which entailed a well-defined stance of refusing to ally with either belligerent party, or
2) Something far more abstract, like asking a tube of toothpaste about its preferred presidential candidate.

The other obvious question is how a lack of position can turn into so many books, arguments, lectures and even entire traditions, namely Tibetan Buddhism.

I believe we are talking about the second option. To truly understand what is being said would mean being in a more advanced state of consciousness. Until that state is attained, the purpose of these philosophies and argumentation pertains to a subtractive process. Removing false ideas to reveal an underlying, indescribable truth.

For argument's sake, a flower is an immaculate life form that grows, lives and dies in accordance with natural laws. (Even Jesus made a similar comment.) A flower has no position on any issue; no enemies, no friends, no worries, no fears, no memories and so forth.

By contrast, the problematic human condition – minds of neuroticism, dysfunction, aggression, confusion, violence, anxiety, etc. – is directed towards enlightenment by the gradual, or occasionally sudden, erosion of the overlay of the mind. Ironically, the simple, natural state of pure being is ultimately what all Eastern philosophy, despite its vast complexity, is trying to speak about.

Reactions: Jay Sea
yellowjester

yellowjester

I'm only sleeping
Jun 2, 2024
Did the Hindus sentence him to death too, for pointing out how ignorant they were, like the Athenians did with Socrates, or were they more receptive to these teachings?