TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
When life sucks or any ills and suffering that one finds, a common phrase uttered by anti-choice, ctb prohibitionists, and ctb preventionists, ultimately boils down to "you just have to accept it." While they don't say it exactly word for word, almost all their remarks and advice boils down to just that, accepting the suck and dealing with it by living and continuing to suffer. This is one of the most dismissive, invalidating remarks ever to be said to a pro-choicer or someone who wishes to go.

First off, the question is why? Why should anyone accept a circumstance that they are not comfortable with. I don't think it is irrational to not accept a certain outcome as long as one understands the overall situation. Not accepting an outcome is not an indication of irrationality or mental illness, especially if the individual knows the reality itself.

Furthermore, why must one accept the reality of suckiness and shortcomings of life, let alone to continue enduring awful sentience that is life itself? If anything, if one knows that life sucks and is willingly not going to accept it (knowing that their choice of death is an option and voluntarily choosing to end one's suffering), then it should not be deemed irrational. A lot of mental health and therapy is only focused on accepting the suckiness of life and coping with it. That's great if people want to continue living in suffering and coping until natural causes or other causes of death ends their sentience, but for those who rather skip all the non-sense and unnecessary suffering for years or decades to come and die on their own terms, the gatekeepers decree it to be irrational, which is so backwards and has no logical grounds. There is no rational, objective reason for why suffering, life, and accepting that life sucks is a good thing. It isn't a good thing (relatively speaking) and the best thing to do is end that suffering if one so chooses to. If one is not willing to accept the outcome, then one should be afforded the dignity of ending one's own suffering in a dignified manner.

I think the biggest problem in a nutshell is how pro-lifers, prohibitionists, and preventionists view life as something that must be accepted along with all it's faults, ills, imperfections, and suffering. It shouldn't be. In fact, recognizing that life sucks and wanting to leave it voluntarily, especially after careful deliberation, should be considered a rational decision.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 31858, intr0verse, leopard_gec and 11 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
These type of pro suffering views have always been something that I've very much disliked. I just think the fact is that life is not for everyone and we were all forced into this existence against our wishes so it isn't like we have any obligation to carry on. It's just wrong to me how people see life as being something to prolong at all costs, even if it's against the persons wishes. It's simply cruel to try and force people to stay here and do everything to restrict more peaceful suicide methods from them.

I personally don't see anything beneficial or valuable about having to exist and it makes sense to see things this way. Continuing to exist will only lead to more unnecessary problems and suffering all for the sake of it and none of this appeals to me. In my case, wanting suicide is simply the natural response to existing in this world as well as being aware of the reality of this existence and I just think that to die is the better option no matter what.

Reactions: random_user and TAW122
L

LifeCanBeCruel

Jan 2, 2023
Yeah, some people don't want to live a long and torturous life. I'm not sure what pro-lifers think they are accomplishing by forcing others to live. Say someone is suffering 10/10 pain everyday, can't move and has requested to die. "Helping" that person live until their natural death by ignorning their wishes is nothing to be proud of. These people pat themselves on the back and think they're doing good.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, oohiniyorafaad and TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Yeah, some people don't want to live a long and torturous life. I'm not sure what pro-lifers think they are accomplishing by forcing others to live. Say someone is suffering 10/10 pain everyday, can't move and has requested to die. "Helping" that person live until their natural death by ignorning their wishes is nothing to be proud of. These people pat themselves on the back and think they're doing good.
Pretty much and of course, their selfishness for putting their (pro-lifers') own interests before the pro-choicers. I suppose a part of it is also human nature as well, so I get that aspect, but to consciously and deliberately impose one's will on another person is just unacceptable.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, LifeCanBeCruel and losing hope
L

losing hope

Arcanist
Apr 27, 2022
I suppose a part of it is also human nature as well, so I get that aspect, but to consciously and deliberately impose one's will on another person is just unacceptable.
Regarding the bolded bit...they do it for ego. Just so at the next dinner party they attended they can tell the opposite sex how wonderful they are saving someone else's life (even if said person didn't want to be saved). Hoping by the end of their story the opposite sex will get down on their knees & give them some sexual action there & then!

• Yay!
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Regarding the bolded bit...they do it for ego. Just so at the next dinner party they attended they can tell the opposite sex how wonderful they are saving someone else's life (even if said person didn't want to be saved). Hoping by the end of their story the opposite sex will get down on their knees & give them some sexual action there & then!
That may also be some prolifers' motivation as well. There is (almost) no limit to how much sadism and suffering the prolifers will inflict onto others even for their own selfish gain.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and losing hope
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I get the sense that it isn't based on logic. It's like- the moment we are born, we are contractually obliged to have responsibilities towards our parents, the state (society) and God. (Although- we are at least finally breaking away from the last one.) The majority of people accept this contract/committment. For them- killing yourself is simply unacceptable.

If they are pro-life and have either had it easy or-haven't but happen to find some redeeming qualities to life- they won't consider suicide as an option for them and they won't allow it for most other people either. (Until their circumstances get much worse.)

I imagine it's a bit like- when it's sunny- trying to convince someone that it's raining. Or- that it will rain soon- and when it does- it will erase all memories of it ever being sunny from them forever. They likely just can't get their heads around it.

I think suicidal ideation is born of negative thinking and feeling. I just don't think any amount of talk will convince someone who has a more positive outlook that things can be SO bad for us- that we feel like we do. To us- it's realistic and normal to feel like this and they're the ones who seem delluded. To them- it's the reverse. How can either of us convince one another when we both think the other is mad?

Reactions: flyingtopluto and Twntysix