ecmnesia

ecmnesia

the only thing humans are equal in is death
Aug 30, 2020
the majority of my days are spent waiting for bed time.

how is it that people can tolerate 100 years (or whatever, what's the age expectancy?) of boredom/bullshit?

aside from getting drunk or high there is absolutely no entertainment that would possibly make me wish for more life time.

what is wrong with you normals? why would you possibly want to stay alive? what do you guys do with all this time?

ok
i guess this is more of a vent than a discussion.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: johan.liebert, dyn00ss, sserafim and 21 others
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I have no idea. I don't understand how people who's mental and physical capabilities keep declining want to go on.

I mean, I'm got to ctb while I'm still improving, or at least steady. Fuck living forever unless you're a vampire or some shit like that.

Reactions: littlelungs, BeautifulMosaics, pthnrdnojvsc and 4 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I think it boils down to the fact that most people are simply afraid to die. So anything that delays the inevitable is viewed as a good thing.

Reactions: Blue Elephant, littlelungs, dyn00ss and 12 others
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
how is it that people can tolerate 100 years (or whatever, what's the age expectancy?) of boredom/bullshit?

Because they can't imagine anything else than their everyday life.

Reactions: dyn00ss, pthnrdnojvsc, botanormal and 6 others
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I don't mean to invalidate your need to vent by answering a rhetorical question, but I guess most people really enjoy basic things like videogames, TV shows, or just meaningless chatter. If my life was all reading, watching movies, playing videogames and eating snacks, I probably wouldn't want to die at least for a couple of decades before I would get bored, not to mention if I had health and money to have a more interesting hobby, or travel. What's wrong with me? I suppose I have an IQ of an average loaf of bread, which is why I am about as easy to amuse as a toddler. I guess the same is true for most "normals" that never get bored.

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, botanormal, Dr Iron Arc and 4 others
D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
We are normal people.

• Wow
  • Hugs
Reactions: Blue Elephant, pthnrdnojvsc, botanormal and 4 others
T

Tired of existing

Nov 28, 2020
Normals have aims, it's like a Carot dangling in front of them.
It doesn't matter if they are ever realisticly able to achieve them, they push forward to get closer and closer.

That could be anything, family, property, children, raising kids through college, retirement vision etc.
It's what keeps people going, I guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrot_and_stick

Reactions: Blue Elephant, BeautifulMosaics, pthnrdnojvsc and 2 others
ecmnesia

ecmnesia

Aug 30, 2020
I suppose I have an IQ of an average loaf of bread
well i was going to say that for myself :p

i have the attention span of gold fish nowadays. the best entertainment can't do shit for me.
We are normal people.
oh. fuck. now i won't feel special anymore.

but seriously. no way in hell this is normal. life should be fun.

• Hugs
Reactions: botanormal, Leiden and Deleted member 23374
D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
We are normal people.
@Sensei
We'll i'm approaching it like this, if none of us can walk on water, or turn loaves into xboxes, then we're normal right ?

Reactions: botanormal
ecmnesia

ecmnesia

Aug 30, 2020
I think it boils down to the fact that most people are simply afraid to die. So anything that delays the inevitable is viewed as a good thing.
now i regret putting so much effort into accepting death.

not fair.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: botanormal, TheSoulless and Brick In The Wall
waterstrider

waterstrider

cold
Nov 29, 2020
I think most people start a family and want to stick around as long as possible for them. Plus they always assign themselves tasks to stay busy (until they reach retirement anyways) and not notice how much life sucks in general.

• Love
Reactions: ecmnesia and botanormal
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020

For me it was this, before I became suicidal. I was really afraid to die, especially in a painful manner. Also, I felt like I didn't think of the future so much.

I don't mean to invalidate your need to vent by answering a rhetorical question, but I guess most people really enjoy basic things like videogames, TV shows, or just meaningless chatter. If my life was all reading, watching movies, playing videogames and eating snacks, I probably wouldn't want to die at least for a couple of decades before I would get bored, not to mention if I had health and money to have a more interesting hobby, or travel. What's wrong with me? I suppose I have an IQ of an average loaf of bread, which is why I am about as easy to amuse as a toddler. I guess the same is true for most "normals" that never get bored.

Those were the things keeping me occupied, though I still got bored. But right now it's really hard to enjoy anything since I can't pay attention.

• Hugs
Reactions: ecmnesia, botanormal, Brick In The Wall and 1 other person
F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
Even though I use the term "normies" to describe the non suicidal, I think we are the normal. We just see the world for what it is and are unwilling to keep the rose coloured glasses on just to live. I do envy them tho lol. I also think there's no such things as "normal" so there's that too haha

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, pthnrdnojvsc, Deleted member 23374 and 2 others
_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
Just like I don't understand the statement "Life is beautiful" or whatever. Like ok. But has life being beautiful ever saved one person before? No? Because we will all go eventually. Whether it be by accidental, age, health, whatever. Personally I don't want to suffer another, lets say, 60 years just to potentially succumb to dementia... what's the point of that? Living just to live and then suffer as you slowly become no more independent than a toddler? Why though? I feel so alien trying to comprehend those who are scrambling at trying to increase life expectancy. I want to go out when I choose too, not because my body decides to tap out or whatever...

I feel so out of place. Out of touch with this reality. It feels like a nightmare, only I can't wake up....

• Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Deleted member 23374, ecmnesia and 2 others
Inferdan

Inferdan

Meeting the first minor relapse after recovery
Nov 3, 2019

aside from getting drunk or high there is absolutely no entertainment that would possibly make me wish for more life time.

what is wrong with you normals? why would you possibly want to stay alive? what do you guys do with all this time?

ok
I can answer this, since I'm essentially a normie by now.
I guess it's about the sparks of light that light the dark world. The little things that make it worth going through.
Friends and family (not always, of course), the possible futures, the chances of a big break, the work and progress to becoming better, growing and learning, gaining experience from life and making good memories with others and for yourself...I guess that's for me, anyways.
Yes, I've been on the brink, with no hope of recovery. But why I stay alive now is not just for others, but also because there's a lot I want to do. I know there's a lot to do, and it'll be hard. But there's so much I want out of life still, and a lot of happiness and good times to take out of it, that for me, it's worth it.
Not here to tell you all your choice is wrong, it isn't. Just responding to the question.
Oh, and no, I'm not living to 100, hell no XD probably 60's or 70's, before I start seriously getting old, and I feel I've done enough in life and feel satisfied with what I've done.

• Hugs
  • Hmph!
Reactions: Blue Elephant, ecmnesia and botanormal
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
most people are simply afraid to die
they can't imagine anything else than their everyday life
really enjoy basic things
These points get to the core of it.
Being terrified of death, a lack of imagination, and the pleasure principle.

People just want to keep on satisfying their needs and desires, feeding their ego, deriving pleasure from as many things as possible, because they are victims of the illusion of an enduring self whose only aim is satisfaction of desires. They think that death with will bring an end to that self, which is the most terrifying thing imaginable to them because it means an end to pleasures, and they don't realize that there really was no self to begin with, just an ever-changing set of spacetime experiences.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, ecmnesia, botanormal and 2 others
Inferdan

Inferdan

Nov 3, 2019
These points get to the core of it.
Being terrified of death, a lack of imagination, and the pleasure principle.

People just want to keep on satisfying their needs and desires, feeding their ego, deriving pleasure from as many things as possible, because they are victims of the illusion of an enduring self. They think that death with will bring an end to that self, and they don't realize that there really was no self to begin with, just an ever-changing set of spacetime experiences.
I'd say that is true for a lot of shallow, materialistic, "cool" people. Though I do think there are those who are living life not for basic pleasure, but for experiences and growth and making something out of themselves. So I do agree with you, that is definitely an real thing, just saying I don't think it's the only one.

Reactions: ecmnesia, botanormal and Brick In The Wall
A

AllReturnsToNothing

I'm useless
Aug 5, 2020
Jesus even when I'm not feeling particularly suicidal I still cannot fathom how ANY person would want to live forever. We can't even properly conceptualize how old the Earth is in our minds, let alone the potentially trillions of years from now the universe will continue to exist. Not to mention the many billions of years where the universe will become more or less a completely empty void of dead stars.

Inferdan

Inferdan

Nov 3, 2019
Jesus even when I'm not feeling particularly suicidal I still cannot fathom how ANY person would want to live forever. We can't even properly conceptualize how old the Earth is in our minds, let alone the potentially trillions of years from now the universe will continue to exist. Not to mention the many billions of years where the universe will become more or less a completely empty void of dead stars.
Maybe it's the want to explore. To see time pass, and discover things that one could never even come close to imagining. Immortality does come with a price, and that want usually comes and goes, but I'd say it's for that; exploration, discovery, and to watch time pass. That, or to continue with whatever simple pleasures they're doing for themselves and never stop.

LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019

ok
Everything about life seems a lot sweeter when you're bathing in privileges. But when you are stripped of them, of basic human rights and comfort, then even taking one more breath can seem exhausting and impossible.

Reactions: Lost Magic, ecmnesia, botanormal and 1 other person
A

AllReturnsToNothing

I'm useless
Aug 5, 2020
Maybe it's the want to explore. To see time pass, and discover things that one could never even come close to imagining. Immortality does come with a price, and that want usually comes and goes, but I'd say it's for that; exploration, discovery, and to watch time pass. That, or to continue with whatever simple pleasures they're doing for themselves and never stop.

I guess I can see that perspective. I mean I've laid awake in bed thinking about what kind of weird animals will evolve millions of years after we're gone. But then again I'm content with getting that kind of fix from fiction. Plus as much as people infuriate me I don't think I could bare to live an existence with nobody else to share it with. Not like I have much of an "existence to share with" anyone in the present either but you get what I mean; total isolation vs. relative isolation; that kind of thing.

Inferdan

Inferdan

Nov 3, 2019
I guess I can see that perspective. I mean I've laid awake in bed thinking about what kind of weird animals will evolve millions of years after we're gone. But then again I'm content with getting that kind of fix from fiction. Plus as much as people infuriate me I don't think I could bare to live an existence with nobody else to share it with. Not like I have much of an "existence to share with" anyone in the present either but you get what I mean; total isolation vs. relative isolation; that kind of thing.
Yeah...that's why I say it comes and goes. People wanting to see the cosmos, the reaches of space...but people need a place to belong. They'll miss home soon enough. That's why fiction is great; helps people imagine what many things would be, especially the places of reality humanity won't reach for a long long long time. That is, if we last that long.

ecmnesia

ecmnesia

Aug 30, 2020
We are normal people.
ok so I just started watching tiger kings and now I have to agree with you. we are the normies.

man i am really lacking craziness in my life.

• Hugs
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Homecoming and Deleted member 23374
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
to some point i also could imagine getting thousands of years old. i am a guy who likes to learn and has far too much interests to learn them all in a normal lifetime.
so if i would for example don't have to care about a secure home and food i could imagine it from time to time.

but on the other hand i think it's evolutionary problematic and i even think sometimes it would be better to "recycle" everybody above the age of 40 (i am 47). cause the big developments that you make as a human are for most in the 20ies and 30ies. many artists achieved in this age their best work. and i also notice that the increase of my perception of the world slows down cause to some extent it's just the way our brain works i guess.

knowing too much can also be a disadvantage like you don't see the forest cause of all the trees while a new fresh mind can achieve new perspectives.
and death is somehow a renewing process to make place for new developments.

Reactions: Inferdan
ForcedLifeResistant

ForcedLifeResistant

Jul 12, 2020
Not that I was ever a normal person but I used to dream of living forever because I thought things might get better with time; that our civilization would asymptotically approach some utopia but I'd be long dead before that was apparent. If I could only live for millions, even billions of years, I'd get to see such wonders.

I no longer have such dreams. I think things will get worse as time goes on; that we'll either simply go instinct some time in the next billion years, as our societies stagnate and collapse, or our civilization will asymptotically approach some dystopic nightmare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 23374
OopsIdidntwanttodie

OopsIdidntwanttodie

Ctb by the 20th of December
Oct 11, 2020
I asked my ex something similar. He said that he doesn't want to not live and he doesn't have a desire to die.

Some people genuinely enjoy living and they have everything they need to do so. It has a lot of factors and varies per person. I think people that don't have pressure, have lots of support, friends, opportunities, a decent job, healthy, are at least okay looking, and are constantly active, won't think about CTB. A lot of people on SS deal with pressures such as meeting peoples standards (including their own), school, work, family etc. Some deal with horrific trauma and abuse and cannot live with these memories. Or perhaps they have lost someone who has made them obsess over death. But it all boils down to our human needs being met: Love, Health, and etc...

Reactions: Inferdan and All washed up
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023

ok
I have no fucking idea.

Anonymoususer1234

Anonymoususer1234

Experienced
Apr 13, 2023
Okay I can explain this one: as someone who fluctuates between intensely having intensely suicidal desires and being perfectly fine it basically boils down to potential.

When I'm doing okay I have ambitions for the future. I want to pick up that new hobby, talk to that new person and learn that new skill. The world seems so vibrant and there's so much left to learn, too much for a lifetime. This can lead to the feeling that I want to live indefinitely. Because there's so much left to experience, if that makes sense.

Contrast that with when I feel suicidal and nothing matters anymore, I don't have the will to want to do anything. Experiences feel dull and uninteresting. It doesn't matter that there's things left to experience. I can't bring myself to care. The idea of being forced to live with myself forever is existentially horrific.

Sometimes I feel a mix of both of these things. Sometimes I want to be able to perceive without actually existing in a conscious manner.

At the end of the day It's less about any particular lifestyle or action and more about how your mind, brain and body respond to the world.

(That said this is all just observations from my experience and it's probably not true for everyone.)

puella

puella

she/they
Oct 5, 2023
Life can be good or bad. The world is chaotic and unfair, though. Many people can be content and happy with their life. Some others have a painful existence. I can't be content with my life right now. I have goals, and hope, to one day feel okay existing. I may not be lucky enough to see this happen, but I can vividly imagine what that could feel like.

• Hugs
Reactions: AshClouds and Lynx.
AshClouds

AshClouds

In time I started growing inward.
Apr 10, 2023
Probably the fear of death. There was a period of a few years where while I wasn't actually a "normie" due to my mental health issues, I wasn't suicidal either. I wanted to live as long as possible. Looking back, didn't realize how foolish I was for wanting to live long.

Reactions: dyn00ss