Would you run for office and push for assisted suicide (multiple choice allowed)

• Total voters
T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019
I'm honestly thinking about running for congress in the next 5 years in my country (USA). And I would like to try to aim for the governor office for my state sometime after. Like if I can go for senate, then I will.
(It should be noted a huge reason why I'm thinking about running is for the retirement, and I couldn't care less about doing anything outside what will keep me in office until I get my 5 years for retirement. And then, I only might care if I thought I had a chance at running for governor since I should be able to do some good there. Like if I can get in, not make an ass out of myself, and get a good retirement. I might find a good reason to live. But as it is now, I'm utterly fucked when it comes to later in my life.)

Anyways, I'm not a 100% sure if I would push for assisted suicide. Like I think it would be political suicide. But assuming I thought it was safe or I got into the last bit of it. Then I might. If I allowed for it then it wouldn't be easy for someone to get help with this, but it would be possible. Like it most likely would be a 6 month to a year process so it is actually a thought out thing. But it will be there.

What about others here? Would you run for office if you thought you have a chance? Would you push for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: it's_all_a_game
FarAcrossTheWater

FarAcrossTheWater

Experienced
Sep 4, 2020
Well it's hard getting a law past unless you have majority support. Suicide is still taboo to the point where neither party wants to be seen as enablers of something that kills people. The Republicans won't ever want this because they need the religious vote same with the democrats. The people who want legal suicide won't be around to support them so neither party will be interested.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, _Minsk and eternalappraiser
eternalappraiser

eternalappraiser

May 8, 2020
It's definitely a polarizing stance / the world at large isn't ready for this kinda thing, but I think that if you did actually go through with this it would bring to light a very important issue, and so while you might not end up being the one signing the bill you would have definitely paved the way for them to. Not to be too doomerish either but I think this is something that would only get more support as the years go by (I mean, if there exists a painless and mass-producable death, wouldn't most people take it before the earth becomes inhabitable?)

Reactions: _Minsk
Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
It would be political suicide to push for what SS believes.

• Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, ImsooDone1N, Deleted member 14573 and 1 other person
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
It would be political suicide to push for what SS believes.
That's why you gota paperclip it to a bill that the pro lifers love and will pass. They'd sew their destruction! Isn't that what politics is all about? :ohhhh: :))

• Love
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, _Minsk, Deleted member 14573 and 1 other person
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
There's realistically no chance for running with that position in almost any known government as a platform, it would be better to sneak it in after you get elected behind some other big issue that more people would rally over. Maybe on the last year of your term too so you don't have to worry about your future political career. People will absolutely spin it as legalizing murder, if given the chance. :ahhha:

Well so if democracy is out, who's up for setting up a pro-suicide monarch? Anyone?

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I would run for office if I knew I had a chance, and also push for all without limits if I knew my career is safe. I believe we humans deserve better especially when it comes to self-deliverance and assisted suicide. After all, we never had a say to exist, to be sentient, therefore, we should at least be given the right to end it on our own terms. I'm also against gatekeeping for arbitrary reasons, except for preventing abuse and ensuring that the person is 100% sure about their decision and allowing them to change their mind up until the very last moment(s).

Last edited:
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I would run for office if I was that type of person but I'm introverted and hate public speech and in that job you have to be very well spoken and choose words carefully and appear confident. I mean that's just completely opposite of what I am. So I pretty much don't have a chance, if I did have one though I don't think I'd even be on this site. Cause it's ppl like me who end up here

Reactions: _Minsk