N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I had this thing in mind because of the following. I am pretty bad at earning money and I think poverty will kill me. I don't see me surviving on welfare. I try as hard as I can to get a job but the likelihood to succeed is low. I recently read there are ways to earn money with chatGPT but involves a lot of luck. So what could I do? In the end I think I won't do anything illegal. I rather kill myself I am too law-abiding but it is a good thought experiment.

Robbing a bank - never never never maybe in video games like GTA but never in real life. I don't have the criminal energy and I am way too neurotic. The likelihood to fail would be for me 99,9%

Selling prescriptive drugs - honestly this is something I thought more about in my thought experiment. I think morally it would not be that horrible. I am taking a lot of medication. In theory selling 10% could work. However I am way too anxious. I think one could go to prison for that. I will be desperate but I will choose death over potential imprisonment. I am very scared of prisons. Also because of suicide watch.

Scam - I know someone who seemingly scammed other criminals. I won't go into details and I am not sure whether the person was honest about it. But morally this might have been even not that bad. But afterall I would not feel okay about it I think. I am a person with a very high anxiety level and with moral high standards. I don't know I am too scared to get in trouble.

Now to other possibilities. Away from legalitity.

David Foster Wallace treated women like shit. He slept with them, used them and threw them away afterwards. It always was consensual sex but morally not right. I think I could not do that. I could not look me in the eyes in the mirror. Moreover it did not work out for him

Taking illegal drugs - many will say that is not evil I am not 100% sure if this is true in any case. I don't like illegal drugs and I would not try them they are way too risky. DFW tried that too and even cocaine could not make him happy.

Having an affair with the gf of a friend - I think the risk would be way too high. My friendships are way too important for me. I think in my answers you see I am the risk aversion guy so my answers are easy to predict

breaking moral principles and values to make money - I think it is easier to make money if one is a right-wing commentator in the current media landscape. I am a leftwinger. I am not sure whether I could do that - selling my values. Maybe it would depend of much my principles had to be changed. I think I would often had a bad feeling in my stomach, could only sleep bad and have a guilty conscience.

So overall death seems to await me. I still try to find a regular abd legal way to make money. These are just thoughts in hypothetical scenarios. Things to ruminate about. It is just I really want to try to find a way to life. I try to do a lot to find my way to cope with the shit I have been through. And I am interested what it means to "try everything" or to "try as good as I can".

What do you think about it? Abiding your principles or would you do anything to get better?

Reactions: Ultracheese
O

orca87

Mage
Mar 22, 2023
Interestingly none of the examples, you mention I can imagine someone intentionally plans. I mean, no one wakes up and says, "Today is the day I'm going to have an affair with my best friend's gf" or "Today I will rob a bank"... It seems to me that all of these examples are merely the result of a temptation someone fails to resist when given the opportunity. That's the moment when you can abide by your principles.

Reactions: Ultracheese