Would you defend your country if attacked?

• Yes

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Under certain circumstances

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • Hell no

Votes: 64 61.5%

• Total voters
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am quite manic. So I try to keep this post short.

Many scientists call Western societies post-heroic. Capitalism has taught them heroes only exist in movies. The emphasis on the individual person has led to a culture that celebrates to satisfy one's own selfish needs.
I am from Germany. And for a German especially for a leftwinger I am quite partiotic. Though when I read about American patriotism I am nothing in comparison. I get goose bumps when I listen to how Americans chant their anthem prior to foorball games. It feels pretty insane that pathos. However would these people also die for their country?

I assume less and less. America has started many useless wars which backfired. Who wants to die for an unnecessary war like Iraq? Veterans are treated like shit. Many develop PTSD and some of them end in suicide forums probably.

I had psychosis so noone would want me to join the army anyway. I think I would not want to die for my country. Maybe for my friends or family. But not for the country. Most people I know are way too selfish or they are against war in general. I think Russia could easily conquer Germany in an heartbeat. If the Eastern European countries or the US did not save our asses once again. I think Ukraine also fights for Germany. But I will keep this short because this is too political.
The pacifists in my country would still protest for negotiations while there were beheadings in the capital.

Furthermore I don't think I would have any skills that would give Germany an advantage anyway. I have heavy OCD and anxiety. The sole purpose of my person would be: to throw me in front of of some enemies and to use me to distract the opponents from really decisive actors. They would kill me within seconds. And this is just what is happenig in Ukraine. Soldiers are used just like cattle ready to get massacred. Sorry I don't know the right idiom on English but I hope that fits. So many lives are wasted for an unfair and cruel war.

Last edited:
  • Hmph!
  • Hugs
Reactions: esthe, loopdaloop, numbda and 2 others
pompompurin

pompompurin

girls like us are rotten to the core
Apr 27, 2023
Personally I have nothing against going to war to fight for my country. We've been through many struggles over the history and we prevailed. I am prepared to die for my home if necessary.

Reactions: CloudyNight and LONE WOLF.
savoytruffle

savoytruffle

Student
Mar 31, 2022
NO. no no

Reactions: Cold, Skathon, Shivali and 1 other person
squirley

squirley

: )
May 6, 2023
For sure.
But not for patriotism or anything like that.
I'd :) whoever the highest ranking person is then :) my self.
In call of duty of course.

Reactions: cgrtt.brns
minx

minx

praying machine
May 20, 2023
I have no loyalty towards any government. I wouldn't participate in war, though i do not condemn those who don't. I would rather focus on healing and saving people, getting them away from conflict along with myself. If i couldn't escape or lost everything, i would let myself die.

Reactions: YandereMikuMistress
Stripe19

Stripe19

Forgotten Martyr
Feb 28, 2023
Yes, but only if we are being attacked by someone worse.
All things considered, i am trans, and alot of the people i care about are some color of minority. If we're being attacked by people who would treat us worse than we're already being treated, OR a country that would imprison or even kill us? Yes. I don't care for squat about whatever sentimentals this country has, however my home is my home and im defending it. Doesnt matter if they're flying the banner of the USA, Britan, France, whatever. I am not very fit for a prolonged war but i do have the ability to rouse people and do not doubt i would likely only fight with careful traps and hit and run things, and then set up myself to be a martyr and likely try to get a situation where i am the role risk and can do the maximum possible damage or atleast be the absolute largest obstacle i can be. This is mostly because of my desire to die, and a desire to protect people, mixing in the middle with the logic that either i die along the way anyway, or i become a high enough priority someone who's got good training will have to turn focus onto me, but i am okay with that.
Overall, loyalty is to the people here, no flag or country, and if they are threatened all bets are off and there is nothing i wont atleast try to do to keep them safe.

A

AerialBoundaries

The Songs of Distant Earth.
Sep 18, 2022
100%. I'd be willing to die. I hate governments and have felt wronged by them my whole life, but I won't lie down, to anybody.

• Hugs
Reactions: H.O.Xan and Disappointered
Kerock

Kerock

Apr 10, 2023
I would. It's something I always fantasized about tbh. And it's a good excuse to join and not be nit picked for any mental/medical issues that wouldave prevented me from joining during peace times. I often wished I was born much earlier like the 1920s and participate in ww2 and fight against the japanese. Call me a crappy larper but hey a dreams a dream

Reactions: H.O.Xan, loopdaloop and Disappointered
leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
As long as I don't have to go through training. Just throw a gun at me and send me out.

• Yay!
Reactions: ForeverBroken, LittleJem, H.O.Xan and 2 others
Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Only if i get shot

Reactions: LittleJem, H.O.Xan, Dead Ghost and 2 others
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
Only for my true homeland, nation and realm but since it is under the boot of an occupying hostile element in disguise I would likely not find it worth defending. If it was those restoring the true nation and realm I would gladly do it but I'm pretty useless so it would probably never happen.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
If it was attacked- ie. tanks rolling down the street- yes- most probably. If I was fit enough to join the army- would I go to another country and kill people because I was told to- hopefully not.

numbda

numbda

Bloop
May 4, 2023
I wouldn't defend the country I currently live in. But I would fight for my home country like a dog with a bone. My father and grandfather fought in my home country's civil war, so maybe some of their desire for violence has rubbed off on me.

• Love
Reactions: Rocinante
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
For me I wouldn't do it and for my country... has your country really cared about you so much as to go to war to defend it?
//
Per mi no ho faría i per el meu país.. de debó que el vostre país s'ha preocupat tant per vosaltres com per a anar a la guerra a defensar-lo?

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Twntysix and Shivali
Space Outlaw Bunny

Space Outlaw Bunny

autistic magical girl gender neutral
Apr 29, 2023
Fuck no! I hope this country disappears again.

Reactions: Skathon
woh6

woh6

Student
May 13, 2023
Nope. I don't feel such love for 'my country' and like you said, I'd also just die in seconds. I'd be completely useless.

Reactions: Skathon
L

loopdaloop

-
Apr 16, 2023
No, just never felt like I ever belonged to the place so I don't feel anything about it getting conquered or wiped off the face of the earth. Plus, I would just use the gun to shoot myself before I ever got to the battlefield. Maybe it's because my parents are emigrants or whatever, so I feel like an outsider in both places. Though I did encounter children of emigrants that were extremely patriotic towards either one of the places, but couldn't relate to them in the slightest.

Reactions: Disappointered and Twntysix
L

Logic1

May 9, 2023
if it was a US initiated war like Iraq or Vietnam for example, I'd dodge that like the plague, nothing good comes from US meddling. if it was imminent danger to my home, and I'd get the side bonus of getting killed? I'm all for that

Reactions: loopdaloop
Shirokuma

Shirokuma

Feb 11, 2023
Due to personal circumstances, I barely even have a country to call my own. The country I currently live in, absolutely never. I've always been treated like sin itself due to the history between the country I'm (supposed to be) from and the country I live in.
When it comes to the country I'm from the most, maybe. I would willfully work in a government institution that serves the interest of my country, but I'm not looking to become disposable canon-fodder in times of war. But to be wholly honest, due to my own experiences, I find blind patriotism stupid.
If I fight for something I'll fight for my own ideals and beliefs, for the people and things that can inspire me and I can admire. Not some shallow all-encompassing and all-consuming idea of for "my country".

Yet, when I think about the question "if it was attacked", at that point would you even have a choice? They're not just attacking "your country" but attacking you, your livelihood. If you'd want to survive, you'd have to fight from fear of being subjugated and conquered by "another country", let alone your thoughts and feelings about "your own country".

Reactions: loopdaloop and Twntysix
T

Twntysix

ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
Aug 26, 2021
Hell fucking no, i hate mine and its one of the reason i wanna die anyway. Maybe, if i wish to life/survive i'll do the best i could to run away, even if i ended up die in the process.

Reactions: savoytruffle, Skathon and loopdaloop
H

H.O.Xan

Experienced
Feb 1, 2023
Just to get quick death? Yh sure. None of that country serving bs

Namensjemand

Namensjemand

Cursed
Jul 16, 2023
Why not. Would be a hell of an expierence and I don't value my life anyhow.

If I was happy... maybe not.

gag_order

gag_order

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.
Jul 20, 2023
My country would go through all sorts of cruel ways to make my life a living hell if they found out that I'm attracted to men as a man. The easiest nap of my life, cool as a cucumber.

StolenLife

StolenLife

Warlock
Sep 19, 2022
No. It's a hellhole riddled with corruption and full of homophobia and transphobia, and racism here and there.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
who has the energy for a whole ass war lmao. i can't even stay up late for 2 nights in a row anymore.

Reactions: Sylveon
C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
It would depend. I'm Canadian and I like my country. It of course has issues such as how native americans are treated that I would very much like solved. I wouldn't fight for the concept of Canada by itself, but I'd be willing to try in order to defend or help people as long as that's all we were doing. If it crossed moral and ethical lines that I have then no. This is all of course presuming I'd be functional enough to do so.