Do you feel like you would be able to defend yourself in a physical altercation?

• Yes

Votes: 26 36.1%
  • No

Votes: 46 63.9%

• Total voters
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I hope I'd give it my best shot but likely no. I hope I'd at least try though. I hate bullies.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
My granddad used to say that nobody really ever wins fights outside of a ring. "If you get to the point you have to defend yourself and they are still breathing, they WILL come back for you"

Worst part is, at least where we live, he's completely right
Well, yeah, no one should go looking for a fight. My point is, if you take an average woman and set her up to fight an average dude, they may both come out with injuries, but the woman will likely end up a whole lot worse for the wear. The strength, mass, and reach differences are just too great.

Reactions: š–£“ nadia š–£“
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
This thread is weird.

I don't know how to answer the question, because I'm physically weak, got a messed up spine and fell to hyper sedentarism, but last year I got in a situation in which some people attacked me. I was outnumbered and outstrenghted, but I, instinctively fought back and, somehow, managed to beat them. I still don't have any idea how it happened, and I don't like to remember it.

I still believe I'm unable to defend myself, but this episode supposedly proves me wrong.

I still prefer to avoid or run away, anyway.

Reactions: Celerity, leeloosnow and MellowAvenue
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
Yeah. Whenever someone starts a fight with me, my goddam SI kicks in and l miss the opportunity to get ignominiously kicked to death.

• Yay!
Reactions: freedompass, leeloosnow and Celerity
Brew

Brew

Professional Jaywalker
Nov 8, 2021
This thread is weird.

I don't know how to answer the question, because I'm physically weak, got a messed up spine and fell to hyper sedentarism, but last year I got in a situation in which some people attacked me. I was outnumbered and outstrenghted, but I, instinctively fought back and, somehow, managed to beat them. I still don't have any idea how it happened, and I don't like to remember it.

I still believe I'm unable to defend myself, but this episode supposedly proves me wrong.

I still prefer to avoid or run away, anyway.
adrenaline can take you places we wouldn't know until we got there

Reactions: MellowAvenue
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
adrenaline can take you places we wouldn't know until we got there
You're right. Perhaps I got some advantage for it being unexpected too..

Reactions: Brew
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I say yes. I avoid altercations though. Having had big problems with anger I've trained myself to walk away from most things because once I get going I don't think I can stop, so better to avoid it all together than get in more trouble.

ever so lonely

ever so lonely

terry joseph williams
Apr 17, 2022
i think so, i often have a very bad temper when feeling overwhelmed, that has progressively gotten worse, it does tend to shock people when i lose it, the wide eyes, the stares, probably because as a general rule i am a quiet reserved shy dude, i often regret my actions afterwards, never during, too pent up to notice, heat of the moment, most take quietness tho for weakness, i have found, most people probably dont think i have it in me, (you would be amazed at what a raging temper can do for you), most people simply dont wanna know, when shit hits the fan, at least that is my experience, i have only had a handful of actual physical fights, and always handled myself well, and acquitted myself ok, not that i go looking for it, i much rather walk away, violence solves nothing in the grand scheme of things, if anything it can just get more and more out of hand, but people think me a soft touch i am sure, till i lose my shit that is, it isnt a pleasant sight i will be honest, and not something i am overly proud of, i guess it just is what it is, judging by the comments section of this thread it would appear most of us have rage, and it is understandable, dare i say even rational and logical in this type of world, where lets be reals most people are always looking to control and dominate others, for some warped reasoning, feck that have a poke in the eye with a short stick lol, dont be nobodies mug, of course physical altercations should be avoided wherever possible, if you can walk away do so buds, de escalate etc, sometimes tho that isnt an option i understand, but by walking away if you can you keep your integrity intact, i have worked many a shit job under shit micro management where it is like this, almost akin to being back in the playground, construction is a cesspool of such behaviour, people looking to dominate eachother and control eachother, if your new to the job you must be wet behind the ears, or they will designate you tea boy for the day ?, haha jog on with that pal, i am here to work, you know the type ?, i cant be arsed with such people man, truly, if i can avoid i will, and do, if i cant i deal with the issue at hand, i have lost jobs for confronting people in the past, and would again, i remember a formeman telling me we dont tolerate that type of behaviour here, confrontation (verbal), and i was thinking to myself but you let others talk smack for months and push people to there limits then when they retaliate and correctly so oh no cant do that, don't be silly, lol, there is a pecking order to things you realise, so you get a smack on the wrist, don't do that again, it is laughable, it was a dead end shit job tho, no harm done, minimum wage, manual labour, i say this tho every action has a reaction, shame people still to this day dont get this, what boils my piss in this tho is when some people will try and prevent you walking away, or try to stop you somehow ?, now that to
me implies that those people in particular, deserve everything and more that they asked for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grav
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
@Blondi looks like someone likes chocolate around here :D

• Yay!
Reactions: Blondi and GasMonkey
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
I have never fought
and now, I have a skinny body with no muscle.

Ouch

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
This depends on the situation and the opponent. In real life violence happens so fast and people don't fight fair- they'll sneak attack or sucker punch. And yet sometimes a much smaller, weaker person fends off a much bigger attacker because they know what to do, it works and they run. It's so unpredictable.

Reactions: Skathon
Exact Change

Exact Change

A life of mistakes
Nov 6, 2022
I'd say yes. I've wrestled from the time I was 12 to my 20's. Then I coached for many years and still get on the mat today to help a high school team. For a little while, I tried powerlifting but it started to develop injuries for me. I always had a chip on my shoulder and feared being bullied in my neighborhood. I grew up around a bunch of nuts and small-time thugs. I never felt safe.

I felt so out of place when I met my wife's family who grew up "normal" and without violence all around. I didn't understand them at all. They were civilized lol

• Hugs
Reactions: Celerity and Grav