Y

Yuri

Apr 10, 2019
indoors tricky? you mean because of other people? i plan to do it in an empty house. i'll be alone for days... not happy about f-ing up the house for my family, but im not in the position to be picky (its a summer resort)
Nah, im just too used to apartments. If you have an empty house with backyard to do initial burning part - sure. The only tricky part then is to either bring enough coal to produce enough CO for a room or fill bath with cold water to be able to stay there while it knocks you out(coal ll heat small bathroom insanely quick, especially after you seal everything)

Reactions: whatever1111 and Soul
W

whatever1111

Student
Feb 16, 2019
Nah, im just too used to apartments. If you have an empty house with backyard to do initial burning part - sure. The only tricky part then is to either bring enough coal to produce enough CO for a room or fill bath with cold water to be able to stay there while it knocks you out(coal ll heat small bathroom insanely quick, especially after you seal everything)
hmm, haven't thought that much about the heat, to be honest, thanks for pointing out. as far as i recall, in the experiments
in a car, i think the temperature would sometimes go up to 10 degrees (celzius) higher? I have to Research more, it seems...
but i dont think it should be that dramatic, i wont be laying right next to the coal...

Reactions: Soul
I

Its time its time

Student
Apr 7, 2019
Can you tell about your experiences?

Carbon Monoxide: Having read that it was the least painful and easiest method to carry out- that became my preferred method. As it is almost impossible to gas yourself with newer generation cars, I had to use the charcoal method.
1st try: As I lighted my BBQ on the balcony, it started to rain. To summarize, I ended smoking my whole bloody room. Not to arise any attention from my flatmates, I stopped and decided to do it in the car instead.
2nd try: I went to the supermarket and bought all the supplies for a BBQ. Drove my car to the beach with a beautiful view of the sea. Outside my car, I started my BBQ and when the charcoal was red hot, had it transferred into the car. It was 2pm and the temperature outside was 30 degrees. I forgot to take into account that the simmering charcoal easily added 10+ more degrees in the car. So at 40 degrees in the car, it felt like a bloody sauna. After 5 minutes, I decided to abandon this try.
3rd try: I came back to the same spot at night. Was about 24 degrees outside, so with the charcoal inside the car, it was at a bearable temperature.
5 minutes... nothing
10 minutes... nothing
15 minutes... Still felt nothing
20 minutes.. bloody hell - even after taking sleepy medication I was wide awake (guess my SI kicked in)
Mind you, people say that carbon monoxide is odorless. Yes it is odorless in it's pure form. But coming from charcoal, it still emits a strong pungent smell. After 20 minutes of this strong smell, I decided that I could not carry any longer. I suffered side effects from the smell for the next few days (shortness of breath, feeling like vomiting, pain in the chest area, ect). Even today, I feel chest pain.
4th try: I got desperate. At night again, I followed my 3rd try attempt and bought a different kind of charcoal. However, this time after just 5 minutes of being in the car, I could not take the smell any longer. I guess my body was still affected from my 3rd attempt.. so my resistance was much lower.

Reactions: myrtaryniel, NextSummer, vaulthunter and 1 other person
omw/2/ctb

omw/2/ctb

Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it
Mar 29, 2019
Carbon Monoxide: Having read that it was the least painful and easiest method to carry out- that became my preferred method. As it is almost impossible to gas yourself with newer generation cars, I had to use the charcoal method....

Wow, I'm so sorry, I can only imagine how frustrating that has been. It's almost comical but I know it's hard to laugh under the circumstances (if you've never seen it, I highly recommend getting your hands on a film called, 'The End' with Burt Reynolds, a black comedy about a guy who wants to ctb but keeps failing catastrophically...hilarious!).

Charcoal is my preferred method as well but I can't make my exit for a few more months so I'm using the interim to research and practice. My intention is to use a camping tent. I haven't decided on whether to use a disposable charcoal grill or a camping stove but I intend to test out both. I took a preliminary trip at the weekend and found a beautiful remote wild camping spot where there's no chance of interruption. I intend to spend a few days before camping and enjoying the spot, establishing a sleep routine and on the last day taking an extra-long hike in order to really tire myself out. Over the next while I will buy a few identical charcoal BBQs (I want to make sure if the tests work, I'm repeating the exact same conditions for the real thing) and a camping stove. I've ordered a CO monitor and I will make some controlled tests with the tent I'm planning to use in order to see how long it takes to reach the required levels in the enclosed space. I think SI is likely to be much higher if I'm in there waiting rather than simply entering when the necessary CO level is reached. By the time my bus comes, I will have a good idea which source is best and how long is required.

I really appreciate you sharing your experiences, knowing how things can go wrong is the best way to prepare against them.

I hope you find peace, whether that's on the bus or in the knowledge that isn't a seat there for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul and whatever1111
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Its time its time, thank you very much for those details. It seems that on your third try, you feel your charcoal wasn't the right kind. Can you tell us more about that, please and thank you? What should we be looking for when we choose our charcoal?

GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
If you want to do a CO method do the cogen. That is the best CO method IMO. It's detailed in the PPH. Just make sure you put up signs warning anybody because people have died trying to rescue others from CO.

Reactions: tiredofchronicpain and Redrock
omw/2/ctb

omw/2/ctb

Mar 29, 2019
If you want to do a CO method do the cogen. That is the best CO method IMO. It's detailed in the PPH. Just make sure you put up signs warning anybody because people have died trying to rescue others from CO.

This is surprising. I know this happens with other active gasses but CO rapidly converts to relatively harmless CO2 once ventilation is introduced (such as opening a door). Can you document any cases of First Responder deaths in CO suicides?

T

thisnight

Mar 18, 2019
This is surprising. I know this happens with other active gasses but CO rapidly converts to relatively harmless CO2 once ventilation is introduced (such as opening a door).
I'm not a chemist but I'm pretty sure you're wrong about this. Afaik you have to burn CO to get CO2.

omw/2/ctb

omw/2/ctb

Mar 29, 2019
I'm not a chemist but I'm pretty sure you're wrong about this. Afaik you have to burn CO to get CO2.
It's clear you're not a chemist because CO is a byproduct of incomplete combustion and is an unstable compound. This is why on inhalation it actually bonds with oxygen in your bloodstream and causes hypoxia. CO2 is a product of normal combustion and is very stable. How could you think burning a gas would add oxygen to it? Hydrogen sulfide is a gas sometimes used to ctb. It's made from items easily available but it is important to post warnings as its level of toxicity and its stability make it very hard to clear and it often results in harm, even death, for first responders.

I do appreciate the intention to help but it's best not to respond intuitively or by guessing to requests on this forum. People are making crucial decisions and good information is critical. If you do some research and have some good information to share, all well and good. But simply spit-balling is of no use to others and shows you in a poor light.

Last edited:
I

Its time its time

Student
Apr 7, 2019
Wow, I'm so sorry, I can only imagine how frustrating that has been. It's almost comical but I know it's hard to laugh under the circumstances (if you've never seen it, I highly recommend getting your hands on a film called, 'The End' with Burt Reynolds, a black comedy about a guy who wants to ctb but keeps failing catastrophically...hilarious!).

Charcoal is my preferred method as well but I can't make my exit for a few more months so I'm using the interim to research and practice. My intention is to use a camping tent. I haven't decided on whether to use a disposable charcoal grill or a camping stove but I intend to test out both. I took a preliminary trip at the weekend and found a beautiful remote wild camping spot where there's no chance of interruption. I intend to spend a few days before camping and enjoying the spot, establishing a sleep routine and on the last day taking an extra-long hike in order to really tire myself out. Over the next while I will buy a few identical charcoal BBQs (I want to make sure if the tests work, I'm repeating the exact same conditions for the real thing) and a camping stove. I've ordered a CO monitor and I will make some controlled tests with the tent I'm planning to use in order to see how long it takes to reach the required levels in the enclosed space. I think SI is likely to be much higher if I'm in there waiting rather than simply entering when the necessary CO level is reached. By the time my bus comes, I will have a good idea which source is best and how long is required.

I really appreciate you sharing your experiences, knowing how things can go wrong is the best way to prepare against them.

I hope you find peace, whether that's on the bus or in the knowledge that isn't a seat there for you.

Totally agree. I was laughing and crying at the same time. It was so bloody frustrating yet funny at the same time. And after each failed attempt, I left the equipment behind. I have no idea why. Maybe the mixed emotions and guilt that I felt after each attempt. So I bought 4 bbq pits.. 4 stoves.. 4 metal pots... 4 bags of charcoal.. 4 starters.. 4 bloody lighters...

It's good that you are doing your ground work. Maybe that's one area that I failed. From some posts that I read, the type of tent might be a factor. Also.. it's recommended to stay in the tent during the build up of CO because once you open up the tent, the readings will drop drastically. So it will take time again to build up lethal levels. Also from what I learnt- temperature!! Take into account the charcoal will add at least 10deg or more. Another mistake I made during my first attempt was that from the pit, I transfered the charocal into a pot - to place it inside the car. And to prevent the bottom of the pot from burning the floor of the car, I placed the pot into a basin of water. The pot heated up the water which actually caused bloody steam in the car. So it became like a suana.

Thanks buddy. I'm not sure if I will be catching the bus anymore. My family and gf have really supported me during that darkest moment of my life. Has made me realize how much love people have for me and how much love I have for them.
Its time its time, thank you very much for those details. It seems that on your third try, you feel your charcoal wasn't the right kind. Can you tell us more about that, please and thank you? What should we be looking for when we choose our charcoal?

Honestly I can't remember the type or brand. I bought 3 different kinds from the supermarket. 2 had warnings on the packaging indicating not to burn charcoal indoors, cars and tent because it may kill.

And all 3 gave the same pungent smell. I followed all the steps as people had shared. Like burning the BBQ for 45 mins until it's red hot before transfering indoors. There was no smoke but still had that bloody smell.

Maybe it's the type of charcoal, maybe I did something wrong, maybe my body is over sensitive, I have no idea. Wish I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: omw/2/ctb
T

thisnight

Mar 18, 2019
It's clear you're not a chemist because CO is a byproduct of incomplete combustion and is an unstable compound.
CO is rather stable at room temperature and atmospheric pressure.

This is why on inhalation it actually bonds with oxygen in your bloodstream and causes hypoxia.
CO doesn't bond with oxygen in your bloodstream. it bonds with the hemoglobin in your red blood cells and replaces the oxygen there. This causes hypoxia.

CO2 is a product of normal combustion and is very stable. How could you think burning a gas would add oxygen to it?
If you burn CO in an oxygen-containing atmosphere you will get CO2.

I do appreciate the intention to help but it's best not to respond intuitively or by guessing to requests on this forum. People are making crucial decisions and good information is critical. If you do some research and have some good information to share, all well and good. But simply spit-balling is of no use to others and shows you in a poor light.
Are you talking to yourself? You are the one spit-bailing his dangerous superficial knowledge here.

You are the one who is sharing dangerous and wrong information like claiming CO would "convert into harmless CO2" through ventilation.