Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
I'm not a catholic but I was raised Protestant and know the religion thoroughly despite not really believing in it anymore.

The whole "focusing on the breath" meditation doesn't work for me.

J

jandek

Down in a Mirror
Feb 19, 2022
In my experience, the Jesus prayer ("Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me") is more effective at creating a meditative state than the rosary. Although it's associated with orthodox Christianity, the Jesus prayer is more theologically neutral as well.

Reactions: Weebster
I

indigomoon

Student
Mar 6, 2022
I'm Catholic and pray the rosary occasionally to help with my anxiety. For me it works quite well. I find it to be very calming and peaceful.

rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
Why not try it and see?

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
I'm Catholic and pray the rosary occasionally to help with my anxiety. For me it works quite well. I find it to be very calming and peaceful.
Is the rosary more than just "Hail Mary full of grace..."?

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
In my experience, the Jesus prayer ("Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me") is more effective at creating a meditative state than the rosary.

Do you think that praying works even if you don't actually believe in God & the rest of his posse? Aren't Christians taught that it's impossible to trick God?

I

indigomoon

Student
Mar 6, 2022
Is the rosary more than just "Hail Mary full of grace..."?
If you want to say the whole rosary it's a little bit more than the Hail Mary. But I have found that just saying the Hail Mary repeatedly is very helpful. I try to focus on the words and what the meaning is that it's trying to convey. Not just saying the words for the sake of saying the words. Below is a link on how to say the rosary. It's quite lengthy but near the top is a short version on how to say it:

Also, here is the Hail Mary if you just want to try saying it:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Reactions: OpheliasFlowers and Weebster
Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
If you want to say the whole rosary it's a little bit more than the Hail Mary. But I have found that just saying the Hail Mary repeatedly is very helpful. I try to focus on the words and what the meaning is that it's trying to convey. Not just saying the words for the sake of saying the words. Below is a link on how to say the rosary. It's quite lengthy but near the top is a short version on how to say it:

Also, here is the Hail Mary if you just want to try saying it:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
That is lengthy. If I just do the Hail Mary part, what do I do with the beads?

J

jandek

Down in a Mirror
Feb 19, 2022
Do you think that praying works even if you don't actually believe in God & the rest of his posse? Aren't Christians taught that it's impossible to trick God?
Depends on what you mean by "works." I've experimented with more traditional prayer routines just to see how it affects my mind. I think prayer can be a meditative exercise; I'm agnostic about God's existence and have no expectations. I was raised protestant, so formal prayers were discouraged in favor of making rambling requests from God, which I never liked doing.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Depends on what you mean by "works." I've experimented with more traditional prayer routines just to see how it affects my mind. I think prayer can be a meditative exercise; I'm agnostic about God's existence and have no expectations.

I honestly don't get how praying to Jesus or Mary could possibly be an effective meditative exercise if one is an atheist. Christian prayer isn't like the most widespread form of Buddhist meditation in the West; the latter doesn't require the belief in anything supernatural. (Yes, I know you are not an atheist.)

I assume that @indigomoon benefits from praying the Rosary because they believe that Mary & Jesus are very much real & that they love them... Would a believing Catholic profit from spending an hour praising Allah, Odin, Zeus or some other deity they don't think exists? :notsure:

J

jandek

Down in a Mirror
Feb 19, 2022
I honestly don't get how praying to Jesus or Mary could possibly be an effective meditative exercise if one is an atheist. Christian prayer isn't like the most widespread form of Buddhist meditation in the West; the latter doesn't require the belief in anything supernatural. (Yes, I know you are not an atheist.)

I assume that @indigomoon benefits from praying the Rosary because they believe that Mary & Jesus are very much real & that they love them... Would a believing Catholic profit from spending an hour praising Allah, Odin, Zeus or some other deity they don't think exists? :notsure:
That's a fair point. I was imposing my own goals and values onto the practice. I definitely don't have the same relationship to it as a believing Christian. I think what I found beneficial was that it acted as a crutch for concentration, which can then be calming. I liked the tactile quality of it too.

Reactions: OpheliasFlowers
Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
Depends on what you mean by "works." I've experimented with more traditional prayer routines just to see how it affects my mind. I think prayer can be a meditative exercise; I'm agnostic about God's existence and have no expectations. I was raised protestant, so formal prayers were discouraged in favor of making rambling requests from God, which I never liked doing.
Yeah I would do it for the meditative benefit. Like a long mantra.

I remember the stream-of-consciousnesses prayers. It felt like I was reading my journal to God.

Reactions: jandek
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
That's a fair point. I was imposing my own goals and values onto the practice. I definitely don't have the same relationship to it as a believing Christian. I think what I found beneficial was that it acted as a crutch for concentration, which can then be calming. I liked the tactile quality of it too.

I'm partial to Gregorian chants even though I hate the fact I'm able to understand what those monks are singing about. :ahhha:

Reactions: indigomoon and jandek
Spiritual survivor

Spiritual survivor

A born again but occasionally suicidal
Feb 13, 2022
No, in fact God doesn't like generic prayer. God wishes for us to speak in tongues out loud or silently. It is a way that he gave us to be able to give perfect praise and perfect prayer to him also to pray for others. It is very easy to do. This option was given to us after Jesus was resurrected and we were reconciled to be able to reconnect with God. If u ever want to know how to do it I can teach u. It is not some demonic thing and it is not meant to be odd or chaotic. It simply sounds like u are speaking a foreign language but with no weirdness about it, just like u would speak regularly.

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
No, in fact God doesn't like generic prayer. God wishes for us to speak in tongues out loud or silently. It is a way that he gave us to be able to give perfect praise and perfect prayer to him also to pray for others. It is very easy to do. This option was given to us after Jesus was resurrected and we were reconciled to be able to reconnect with God. If u ever want to know how to do it I can teach u. It is not some demonic thing and it is not meant to be odd or chaotic. It simply sounds like u are speaking a foreign language but with no weirdness about it, just like u would speak regularly.
If you're such a devout believer, then why are you considering suicide? You have a connection with the creator and know his mind through his holy book. How is that not enough to sustain you through life's trials and tribulations?

• Informative
Reactions: WorthlessTrash
Spiritual survivor

Spiritual survivor

Feb 13, 2022
If you're such a devout believer, then why are you considering suicide? You have a connection with the creator and know his mind through his holy book. How is that not enough to sustain you through life's trials and tribulations?
Being a believer does not erase the pain from the past and my current suffering in the present. This isn't to discourage anyone away from God. I was also terribly neglected, abused as a child. I lost my children to abortions, failed in relationships and have had many heartbreaks and dissappointments. So I've been chronically suicidal for many years but will I go through with it I don't know. I guess to some extent my faith is keeping me here. Probably the main reason is bc of Christianity is why I'm not dead yet.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, indigomoon and Weebster
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Just ask for guidance on what to do next :) I am sure he'll answer you since you seem to have conversations with him a lot.

(not intended to be condescending, but definitely comes off as that as I reread it).

Last edited:
Spiritual survivor

Spiritual survivor

Feb 13, 2022
Is God not at all responsible for the suffering you've endured?
No he's not. Much of my suffering came through my own ignorance about guidance on how to live. I was destroying myself. I was a victim through child abuse but that didn't have to destroy my life if I had understood about how to live according to God so that I do not bring uneccessary suffering into myself.

WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Despite my opposing views, I am sorry for what has happened to you. I hope at least you can find peace and can bring yourself not to have to resort to what many of us are leaning towards on this site.

Also, hope my previous comment didn't come off as condescending, though reading it again, it does -_-

I

indigomoon

Student
Mar 6, 2022
That is lengthy. If I just do the Hail Mary part, what do I do with the beads?
I just hold them between my fingers. They are mainly there to help you count how many Hail Mary's you've said with the rosary.

A

archipelago

Student
Jun 27, 2021
Yeah I would do it for the meditative benefit. Like a long mantra.

I remember the stream-of-consciousnesses prayers. It felt like I was reading my journal to God.
I think it could help. Full disclosure, I'm not a religious person but a spiritual one. Even before I was, I found that small repetitive actions were very calming. Decorating, drawing things repetitively etc got me to relax a lot.