aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
Idk.

I feel like it'd not be that much of an issue for me, after reflection.

After all, if my family refuses to let me die, after a failed attempt, it'd be their problem, not mine.

why is everyone so afraid of ending up a vegetable? What is so terrible about it? I think people who are vegetables have very peaceful lives. They can't do anything and they most likely can't think and therefore can't suffer. What do you think?

does it have to do with the humiliation? But si ce you'd be unaware, I don't think you'll be aware of your condition.

• Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: imsorrythatimhere, lobster salad, wordsonscreen and 6 others
L

Loser47

Student
Jan 14, 2021
What if our mind still works? That's what terrifies people. Being aware stuck in this position not being able to kill yourself

• Wow
Reactions: imsorrythatimhere, Élégie, lobster salad and 16 others
aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
What if our mind still works? That's what terrifies people. Being aware stuck in this position not being able to kill yourself
If we were aware, then I personally don't think we'd have the desire to move or do anything. I think desires come when there is a possibility. If there is no possibility, I don't think the mind would hold onto that desire. I might be wrong tho, I'm just trying to question this fear

Reactions: kindawannacrylol, imsorrythatimhere, Astral316 and 1 other person
N

Natty

Student
Jul 27, 2020
I agree with the above folks, I think the fear is that we don't quite know what state of consciousness people in a vegetative state are really in.

Some people who have recovered from being in such states have said they (at times) had full control of their faculties. That would be a bit disconcerting.

• Aww..
Reactions: jakaranda3, wordsonscreen, Fthis and 4 others
Spiral

Spiral

Experienced
Jan 22, 2021
Idk.

After all, if my family refuses to let me die, after a failed attempt, it'd be their problem, not mine.

why is everyone so afraid of ending up a vegetable? What is so terrible about it? I think people who are vegetables have very peaceful lives. They can't do anything and they most likely can't think and therefore can't suffer. What do you think?

does it have to do with the humiliation? But si ce you'd be unaware, I don't think you'll be aware of your condition.

The mind of the vegetable still works, I read about this when I was researching the specific way I would have to die if I wanted to donate my organs. To donate organs you need to have a dead brain but a living body. A vegetable is the opposite, their brain is alive but their body is ... We'll not dead but they have no control over it at all. The fear of being a vegetable for me is knowing that my mental pain would continue and I would be physically unable to make another attempt to Ctb. That is a fate worse than the horrible lives most of us want to escape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 10
  • Aww..
Reactions: Élégie, lobster salad, wordsonscreen and 6 others
x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Always give 100% - unless you’re donating blood.
Sep 10, 2020
All that time to fill and being unable to do ANYTHING apart from breathe, shit and piss. Aww well, I'd probably die of boredom!

Reactions: Élégie, lobster salad, NodusTollens and 4 others
aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
All that time to fill and being unable to do ANYTHING apart from breathe, shit and piss. Aww well, I'd probably die of boredom!
this is my life at the moment tbh

• Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, GenesAndEnvironment, NodusTollens and 4 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Because what if my nose ever itches?

• Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: Alamonocuricu, lobster salad, NodusTollens and 6 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
if you can't move your body, I think you can't feel it...? I think quadriplegic people can't feel their body
Feelings of itchiness can sometimes be purely psychological like how people who have lost limbs will sometimes still feel the need to scratch those lost limbs sometimes. Phantom limbs I think they're called? I figured as long as the brain is running at regular consciousness it can just make up things like that out of boredom...

• Wow
Reactions: NodusTollens, LifeQuitter2018, Spiral and 1 other person
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
Id hate to be a vegetable with a fully functioning mind but non working body, if you mind is able to see the world around you, knowing what you could once do in terms of being active, seeing places etc, then surely that's just living hell, whilst some of us may now be in a hell, this to me would be second level.
To lose all dignity as a women as well, no thank you!

Reactions: Good4Nothing
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020

I'm really scared of this too!

• Wow
Reactions: NodusTollens and Hurt
MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
This reminds me of that news article about a comatose woman who suddenly gave birth. Apperantly she got abused by a worker in the hospital. That gave me nightmares.. I'm fine with being a vegatable but I don't think I can trust anyone to take care of me.

• Aww..
Reactions: Élégie, NodusTollens, voyager and 3 others
saltshaker

saltshaker

salt shaker, rule breaker
Jan 29, 2021
Knew a guy who was quadrepligic, it's a living hell. He should have been allowed a way out, but we treat people worse then dogs in that respect.

• Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: Élégie, Astral316, NodusTollens and 6 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Yes, it really is that bad, I am disturbed that anyone would believe otherwise.
(If you care about what happens to you when you're sleeping or unconscious, then it is not that difficult to stretch that sense of things to the scenario of being a defenseless vegetable.)
Now, I am not sure what your definition of "vegetable" is, but it certainly varies in scope and severity. All, however, are beyond unpleasant. And in many scenarios, there is no way to be sure-beyond a shadow of a doubt-that the person has no awareness or typical 'feeling'.
It is an absolute disgrace to allow a person to "live" like that. Their lives are far from peaceful, it's a living, breathing HELL with the lowest form of control or autonomy imaginable.
It's a nightmare that have kept many from going through with their method, in fear of ending up in said-vegetative state, maimed, or generally brain damaged enough to no longer be themselves.

Yes, it is humiliating, whether you are conscious of it or not, that fact remains.
As for me, I've already lived enough humiliation for one lifetime.
I barely leave my house, I isolate from people and from being seen by people as it heightens my distress and adds trauma to my existence. The last thing I would want would be to lose that last piece of control, that barely remaining sliver of dignity, to be paraded around at another person's will, to have my own will spat in the face of.

Whenever I think things can't possibly get worse, I am reminded of something like this, of attempts gone wrong or even accidents that leave a person in this situation, or similar.
It is one thing to have people run the narrative when you're dead, it's another thing to have it happen when you're still technically alive.
Anything could happen to what's left of you, anything, you don't get a say any longer, perhaps you can't even move, can't even speak, perhaps your thoughts are no longer your own-if you have any at all-but the world still sees this unanimated corpse as "you".

There is no freedom or respite, picture strangers or maybe even family-awkwardly-wiping your ass every time your body decides to defecate.
You are forever and always at the mercy of others.
There is no privacy, there is no respect, there is no ability to even "be".
From a simple thing like being unable to turn your face from the sun-burning you through the window, to having your limp flesh penetrated by needles, tubes, and maybe even the occasional foreign genitalia (you will make easy pickings for perpetrators).

For any person who finds themselves on this site, who finds fault with life as it is, well, for those people especially, I cannot fathom them shrugging their shoulders to the notion of enduring such an abominable human condition, that should hardly resonate as "human" at all.
What's worse than living? What's worse than dying? This, this horrible in-between that strips someone bare of all faculties, yet keeps them in the public eye...to be pitied and gawked at, to be taken over, to be an ogled shell of a person with nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide, no ability to escape-even to what used to be their mind. The right to die-that too-gone, the right to consent, or to anything at all really, gone.

Reactions: mini_weeny, antihuman., Élégie and 5 others
Gaybonez

Gaybonez

vegan jesus
Nov 30, 2020
Idk.

Yes, you are almost definitely sentient.

Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
It really depends on what type of vegetable you all are talking about. A tetraplegic is totally sentient, but someone who's paralyzed due to brain damage may be fully sentient, partially, or not at all. We can't know because the person in question can't express, but a vegetable due to brain damage can't be guaranteed to be fully sentient because, well, they become like that because the place their sentience happens got damaged in the first place. The fear just comes from this plethora of possibilities, so it's better not risking it at all.

• Hugs
Reactions: LifeQuitter2018
J

jakaka

Jan 15, 2021
URL unfurl="true"]https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-two-left-paralysed-brain-9743705[/URL]
Jesus the poor man. Would be an absolute living hell
Jesus that poor man. That would be an absolute living hell. Not able to communicate or do anything. I mean really what kind of quality of life is that ffs

• Aww..
Reactions: NodusTollens, voyager, LastFlowers and 1 other person
Spiral

Spiral

Experienced
Jan 22, 2021
if you can't move your body, I think you can't feel it...? I think quadriplegic people can't feel their body
I think it depends on which part of your brain was damaged but I'm not sure. I think motor skills and nerve damage may be separable. I will google it and then update with an edit xD
Edit: yup, sheer terror. You can feel pain and are fully conscious but unable to react if you are this specific type of vegetative state. Apparently full veg can't feel pain but since they are unable to communicate I wouldn't be wiling to bet my life on that information. There was a time when some human morons argued that animals couldn't feel pain too. I don't trust science enough to risk it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: nox_ghoul, wordsonscreen, voyager and 1 other person
aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
I think it depends on which part of your brain was damaged but I'm not sure. I think motor skills and nerve damage may be separable. I will google it and then update with an edit xD
Edit: yup, sheer terror. You can feel pain and are fully conscious but unable to react if you are this specific type of vegetative state. Apparently full veg can't feel pain but since they are unable to communicate I wouldn't be wiling to bet my life on that information. There was a time when some human morons argued that animals couldn't feel pain too. I don't trust science enough to risk it

well, then I have no idea how it's even legal to let someone live like this.
Jesus the poor man. Would be an absolute living hell

Jesus that poor man. That would be an absolute living hell. Not able to communicate or do anything. I mean really what kind of quality of life is that ffs
"Jai Sharkey had tried to hang himself but was discovered by a concerned friend"

a concerned friend... really?

I wonder if he still sees him as a friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: voyager
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Really good question. I often ask myself the same. Being a vegetable could grant freedom from the mental pain. However, who's to say it wouldn't make it worse. I suspect there are different kinds of 'vegetable'.

Reactions: nox_ghoul, Spiral, wordsonscreen and 1 other person
PeacefulStars

PeacefulStars

Like tears in rain
Feb 10, 2021
I'm already a burden as it is, I wouldn't want to put an even bigger burden for an extended amount of time on my family members and those taking care of me in the hospital. That and one of my worst fears is "I have no voice but I must scream" to be unable to speak, knowing of everything going on around me, unable to do anything.

• Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog, aneurysm and NodusTollens
Throwmyselfaway

Throwmyselfaway

Not gone yet but soon
Jan 14, 2020
I think it depends on how conscious you are. I wouldn't want lock in syndrome though.

Reactions: Spiral, NodusTollens and wordsonscreen
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
The mind of the vegetable still works, I read about this when I was researching the specific way I would have to die if I wanted to donate my organs. To donate organs you need to have a dead brain but a living body. A vegetable is the opposite, their brain is alive but their body is ... We'll not dead but they have no control over it at all. The fear of being a vegetable for me is knowing that my mental pain would continue and I would be physically unable to make another attempt to Ctb. That is a fate worse than the horrible lives most of us want to escape.
I appreciate this description! I looked into organ donation also and well... probably will not work.

Reactions: aneurysm
Spiral

Spiral

Experienced
Jan 22, 2021
I appreciate this description! I looked into organ donation also and well... probably will not work.
Yea, I couldn't figure out how to make it work either :(

• Aww..
Reactions: wordsonscreen
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021

Sounds pretty fucking rough, hope I'll get killed fast if I end up paralyzed or something.

Reactions: Spiral
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
Imagine being In a room for years to decades surrounded by nothing but medical equipment with nothing to do that entire time but think and occasionally observe repeated external stimuli.
NOPE

Reactions: aneurysm
M

mifinal

Feb 15, 2021
es mi mayor miedo, no ejecutar como yo quiero mi final, dé hecho si me quedase vegetal seria la confirmación de que el mundo me odia,
para mi el suicidio es un acto de valentía y amor hacia mi misma, lo elijo yo ,como yo quiera y no egoísmo como dicen los seres queridos, entonces quedarme vegetal y ser dependiente y no tener otra oportunidad de tener un final si seria egoísta.por eso no he optado por la sobredosis ,por que si llegan a tiempo puedes tener daños cerebrales .

• Love
Reactions: Ame and aneurysm