[NoName]

[NoName]

Student
Nov 15, 2018
I see quite a few threads about discussing arguments pro-lifers make, arguments for why people would want to do it, etc. Would anyone want to read and talk about philosophers take on suicide, studies done on suicide, books written about it, etc?

I only discovered that suicidology is a thing about a week ago.

We could have an on-going thread for talking about it, and a different thread just listing info (online pdfs, youtube vidoes, books or philosophers you like, etc.)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, naia_, Lavalamp and 2 others
skitliv

skitliv

Le mort joyeux
Jul 11, 2018
Commenting here because I'm interested in the responses

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lifeisatrap, Jodes and 2 others
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
I'm in! The more doubt I remove about my convictions, the more content Ill be about any decision. Logic puzzles with dark, unreal twists sound awesome. Just hope you don't mind me talking crap!

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Lifeisatrap
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Emile Durkheim was a French sociologist who studied and wrote with strong phislosophical underpinnings. I read his book Suicide years ago and recommend it—he described the four different "types" of suicidal personalities and the existential reasons for each type of suicide.

Reactions: naia_, Lavalamp, Jodes and 1 other person
L

Lifeisatrap

Arcanist
Oct 5, 2018
Philip Mainlander was very much pro suicide.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Jodes
C

ctbclaire

Nov 19, 2018
Read Schopenhauer's essay on Suicide.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, naia_ and Lifeisatrap
ChickenAndPotatoes

ChickenAndPotatoes

Veteran Veteran
Nov 8, 2018
Read of the Sallekana (or Santhara) ritual of the Jains of India. They seek out death through starvation. And while a person is dying, supporters surround them rubbing oil into their skin, bathing them, chanting praises, and offering comfort and encouragement. It's done by both old and young. There was a 13 year old Jain girl, who went into cardiac arrest after fasting for 68 days.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, naia_ and Lifeisatrap
Roulette

Roulette

???
Aug 31, 2018
I've been reading into Thomas Joiner's Interpersonal Theory for Suicide and found it interesting. I wonder how applicable it is here in SS. He states that the most two common factors found - having no belonging anywhere and perceiving yourself as a burden - will create a suicidal desire. How it turns into an attempt depends on the acquired capability which comes from anywhere really. I think he boils it down to pain tolerance and exposure to suicides/death.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3130348/

I've always pondered about studying suicidology at uni. It is a fun subject.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Smilla, naia_ and 2 others