Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
Anyone else seen this?! Seriously WTF?! is there a day for everything now?

Have just seen a thread on social media about it with over 4k comments, so many saying they have this as a tattoo for surviving their *attempts* is this some new badge of honour?
Anyone here got one?
(If you have I apologise for offending!)
For those who may not know :

A semicolon is a punctuation mark used by authors, signifying when they could have ended the sentence, but chose to carry it on. The author is you, the sentence is your life.

Reactions: LivideLamb
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Its not "a badge of honor" it's a writing reference.
A semi colon is used to signify that they continued. It's actually a really common suicide symbol

Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg

Experienced
Nov 6, 2021
Even one suicide attempt mark your psyche for life even it was unsuccesfull and without preparation moment you decide in your mind that you want destroy yourself change you forever. After that nothing is the same that is way people mark themself to remember this transition. There is a conncept of philosophical suicide by Albert camus i think everyone die psychologicaly in some way when he or she survive attempt. My personality changed after each attempt very rapidly and it was strange af

Very briefly, philosophical suicide is an essentially ad-hoc attempt to explain away the inconsistency between the human desire for existential purpose and the apparent lack of such a purpose.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, charlottewilts, waitingforrest and 1 other person
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
Even one suicide attempt mark your psyche for life even it was unsuccesfull and without preparation moment you decide in your mind that you want destroy yourself change you forever. After that nothing is the same that is way people mark themself to remember this transition. There is a conncept of philosophical suicide by Albert camus i think everyone die psychologicaly in some way when he or she survive attempt. My personality changed after each attempt very rapidly and it was strange af

Very briefly, philosophical suicide is an essentially ad-hoc attempt to explain away the inconsistency between the human desire for existential purpose and the apparent lack of such a purpose.

See I thought I had *attempted* but given I was told sitting on a bridge for 8 hours isn't an attempt as I didn't do anything, so the semi colon thing doesn't apply to me
I have no issue with the semi colon in its own right, but making a day of it?

Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg

Experienced
Nov 6, 2021
The act of choose (proces of thinking in your mind) is making action. You choose not to jump so you fulfill definition:World Semicolon Day is "a day to celebrate those who chose not to end their lives because their stories are not over yet." It pays tribute to those who have thought about or attempted suicide, and it informs people about how common suicide is. You had big willpower to not jump. To hold yourself 8 hours stright.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?