• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

valentine

valentine

Student
Apr 2, 2019
Anyone else find it extremely difficult to get/hold down a job?

My mental illness is really severe which makes working so hard. I get panic attacks really easily in a work environment, I constantly feel like I'm screwing up and get mad at myself for making mistakes or not being perfect.

I've had a couple of jobs but quit pretty quickly. At this point I need to get a job and move out, my mom's been pressuring me for awhile now. I hate being stuck living with my mom (I love her but I'm almost 20) and feeling like a failure because I'm unemployed.

How do you deal with this? Any tips would be appreciated

Reactions: Bedlamb, iix.em, SeekingSolace and 7 others
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
Workers screw up all the time. So long as you're not notably worse than your co-workers, bosses will probably leave you alone. Bosses likewise screw up often. They just don't let people below them know.

• Love
Reactions: iix.em, SeekingSolace, EmotionlessWanderer and 6 others
dandan

dandan

One more attempt on life.
Feb 18, 2019
yeah, its hard stuff,
I quit working because of anxiety.... and it was my worst mistake... ( something happened in that time , that I would be millionaire if I hadn't quit )
how to handle it?

looking back, the only way to handle it, was to hang on... hold on even if everything sucked...

Reactions: lemmeeleev, valentine, Wolfjob_dayjob and 1 other person
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
Hey, it's getting more and more common for people to live at home for longer than in the past nowadays, because the cost of living has gone up substantially. I'm in the same boat as you and I'm 22, it's very frustrating feeling stuck but don't beat yourself up. I'm older than you and not beating myself up. I've had a few part time jobs, but I'm the same as you, I get extremely anxious and feel like colleagues dislike me.

Reactions: lemmeeleev and Wolfjob_dayjob
dandan

dandan

Feb 18, 2019
I have a job,
but I've have had no activity in the last 5 months, except training...
when they discover that I have a bad memory, I might get fired, like the 30 people they fired last month... they fired 30 coworkers!! damm...

Reactions: lemmeeleev, valentine and Wolfjob_dayjob
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
I didn't realise your mom was putting a lot of pressure on you. Are there any jobs you could go for that would involve something different to the last ones? I found it a lot easier to work in a family-run business with a small team than in a large chain, because it was easier to work with fewer people and a calmer environment. If you can find something a bit cosy, it might make a big difference.

Reactions: lemmeeleev, valentine, Wolfjob_dayjob and 1 other person
Damn

Damn

Manic - depression
Aug 27, 2018
Your not on your own mate, I'm 27 have had 40+ jobs and live with me mum. It's an increasingly common thing to be with folks for longer (and in past centuries most families stayed together for a lot longer too), I had a boss once say to me that life is to short for anyone to be stuck doing something you hate, I've blown fantastic opportunitys on that motto and I wouldn't change it. Sure there is a time to bite your tongue and put it between your teeth not in your cheak but, this life is short even if you make it to 100, you will always be able to find a way to get by, but consider lottery winners - study show that they are just as sad after being minted as before, just more paronoid,,, like wtf?!? And if you ever go to a poorer country then yours to a rural area, count how many smiles you get back even if you give them just a quick grin... Don't worry about the rat race mate, money just helps us get through this life, it does not have to be life itself. Xx

P. S sorry for the lengthy reply theirs more I'd want to say & it probably only touches on the surface of things x

Reactions: SeekingSolace, lemmeeleev, valentine and 3 others
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
I wrote this, maybe it is relevant. https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/you-are-not-worthless-unemployment.11143/

Reactions: Bedlamb, lemmeeleev, valentine and 2 others
valentine

valentine

Student
Apr 2, 2019
I didn't realise your mom was putting a lot of pressure on you. Are there any jobs you could go for that would involve something different to the last ones? I found it a lot easier to work in a family-run business with a small team than in a large chain, because it was easier to work with fewer people and a calmer environment. If you can find something a bit cosy, it might make a big difference.
Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at some smaller businesses. Honestly I just need to overcome the initial anxiety and I think I could make it work.

I wrote this, maybe it is relevant. https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/you-are-not-worthless-unemployment.11143/
Thank you, this cheered me up :)

TheNorthernSilence

TheNorthernSilence

Arcanist
Nov 13, 2018
I haven't worked or studied for like 8-9 years and it's partly why I'm so disgusted with myself and isolated.

Reactions: Donewith_, dandan and lemmeeleev
R

r0_

Apr 3, 2019
im 47 and never had a job. im university level educated and not an idiot i just cant function in a working environment, everything about it stifles me. the having to be there, having to do stuff. try explaining that to people, most will think youre lazy which i am not. luckily i always had access to moderate funds, but it all came crashing down 2 years ago.

Reactions: valentine and dandan
dandan

dandan

Feb 18, 2019
im 47 and never had a job. im university level educated and not an idiot i just cant function in a working environment, everything about it stifles me. the having to be there, having to do stuff. try explaining that to people, most will think youre lazy which i am not. luckily i always had access to moderate funds, but it all came crashing down 2 years ago.
hope you still have access even to minimum funds, because starting to have a job at age of 47 must be hard.
I have a job, its not easy, specially with my mind focused on other things... its a challenge to do it right... .or I might lose my job soon...

I dont socialize much in my job, maybe I could, but I dont

I'm okay, but not okay, sometimes like today I woke up 3 hours earlier and worried and regret and stupid thoughts just wont stop.... I want to get over it all

Last edited:
FullCircle

FullCircle

Nov 20, 2018
Maybe find something that relates to what you like, like a library if you like to read or a video game store if youre a gamer. Also i agree with the smaller business thing. I worked a fast-paced customer service job for over a year and my anxiety was crazy.
In my experience it did get easier though. I work 2 jobs now and i really like them, theyre part of why im still here. But in the beginning i would be sick with anxiety and constantly worried that i wasnt good enough. I know its not true for everyone, but for me it definitely got easier over time.

Reactions: valentine
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
Everything is hard in the beginning. Just do your best, be polite, try to socialize with co-workers to some extent and you'll be fine. After a while you'll get the hang of whatever tasks you have to do and your confidence will grow. Anxiety is in your head and does not reflect the actual situation.

It's probably best to deal with your anxiety first before starting to look for a job. Ask your mom to help you get some therapy. From what I've read mild sedatives like valium are not a lasting solution to anxiety but you could go to your GP, explain the problem and ask for medication to help you cope. It could be reassuring to have something that will dull your anxiety when it gets really bad.

Remember a new job is stressful for most people and try to envision your end-goal: having enough money to move out and enjoy your freedom. I would suggest to build up some savings before you do that though.

Reactions: valentine