N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Sometimes villains can have a huge charisma. Not sure whether I am refering only to fictional stories but I think one can also mention people from the real world.
Some days ago I read the newspaper. A text about Breaking Bad. It is a long time ago I watched it. I stopped watching most fictional series. I have lost some interest the real world has a bigger impact on me.

But Mr. Heisenberg. was quite cool. I don't remember everything anymore. I think the series wanted to create an ethical dilemma whether one should sympathize with him or not. I think he lost some of my support when he killed innocent people to reach his goal. He lost more and more constraints.

There is the anime Death Note. I really liked Light Yagami. Maybe some know the anime. First he is an eager student, he gets a Death Note. A notebook with which one can kill humans. He wants to create a world with justice in it. First he only kills criminals but more and more he becomes immoral. He considers immoral means to reach moral ends. He becomes a monster. At the end of the series he would do anything do reach his goal.

I really like when series produce such a dillema for the audience. Whether one should support the character. When does he reach a point one cannot defend him anymore.

I liked the Joker in the moving with exactly this title. I could relate to him. Being abandoned by the society, people look down at you, being lonely etc. But obviously I only like him because he is a fictional character. His crimes are horrendous. WIth the two characters I have mentioned earlier I could at least defend them with saying: there intentions were good at the early stage. The Joker is way too erratic for that.

Personally I don't know any real person who is genuinely evil who I support.(does a villain have to be completely evil?) I try to be moral and supporting such a person is kind of immoral. Though I don't want to deny that some people create a certain fascination. Some of these villains have charisma. This is why people fall for them. I think one could name a lot of politicians with this trait.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: chloramine, Passersby, katagiri83 and 5 others
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
Handsome Jack is very much special for me XD

Long story short: my sister and i have played borderlands 2 (not together sadly, but she also looked time ago before she can play it) and we knows about him. We usually don't plays to the same games, so i've good memories about it

Reactions: Ringo
Lily (Osako)

Lily (Osako)

Everything all at once
Jul 30, 2022
Medusa. Her story is actually quite sad and she's not really the villain people think she is.

Reactions: chloramine, Foresight, houseofleaves and 4 others
Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
Jack from The House That Jack Built. I like a lot about that movie, actually.. How to describes, perfectly, the want to murder.. That, uh, man walking from street lamp to street lamp analogy.

I really like Jack, though, because of his charisma and character. Like how he posed his murder victims, and took photographs, or how he posed his son before his son reached rigor mortis. I also really adore.. I guess, what he did. And how he got away with everything he did. I guess it's a sense of wonder and fascination. I just hated how cowardly he was with his fate though.

You can't murder tons of people without facing consequences. Face hell, because you deserve to rot in it. That's what I think either way. I'm not gonna murder anyone, even though I have thoughts and urges to. Sigh.. I should stop talking about this before someone finds me in real life, heh.

• Yay!
Reactions: whatevs
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Medusa. Her story is actually quite sad and she's not really the villain people think she is.
It's funny that you say this because I thought about writing a short story involving Medusa and Athena. I pretty much have the plot figured. I just have to type it out.

To answer OP, I sympathize with outright villains less as an adult than I did when I was a kid. I think I jived more with the "rejected from society" bit more than anything else. Some unambiguously evil characters make me think of some of my darker characteristics though. Jack in Lord of the Flies comes to mind. When I was a young child, I was a very arrogant, domineering bully like Jack.

• Love
Reactions: cyanol, chloramine, 7b48hl and 1 other person
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
'villains'. Darth Vader, Gollum, Loki, Magneto, Medusa.

• Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, GentleJerk, Lily (Osako) and 2 others
BruhXDDDDD

BruhXDDDDD

Student
Feb 18, 2022
I usually don't empathize very much with antagonists, but Maruki from P5R did nothing wrong fight me

• Love
Reactions: RetroChaos
Lily (Osako)

Lily (Osako)

Everything all at once
Jul 30, 2022
Sometimes villains can have a huge charisma. Not sure whether I am refering only to fictional stories but I think one can also mention people from the real world.
Some days ago I read the newspaper. A text about Breaking Bad. It is a long time ago I watched it. I stopped watching most fictional series. I have lost some interest the real world has a bigger impact on me.

But Mr. Heisenberg. was quite cool. I don't remember everything anymore. I think the series wanted to create an ethical dilemma whether one should sympathize with him or not. I think he lost some of my support when he killed innocent people to reach his goal. He lost more and more constraints.

There is the anime Death Note. I really liked Light Yagami. Maybe some know the anime. First he is an eager student, he gets a Death Note. A notebook with which one can kill humans. He wants to create a world with justice in it. First he only kills criminals but more and more he becomes immoral. He considers immoral means to reach moral ends. He becomes a monster. At the end of the series he would do anything do reach his goal.

I really like when series produce such a dillema for the audience. Whether one should support the character. When does he reach a point one cannot defend him anymore.

I liked the Joker in the moving with exactly this title. I could relate to him. Being abandoned by the society, people look down at you, being lonely etc. But obviously I only like him because he is a fictional character. His crimes are horrendous. WIth the two characters I have mentioned earlier I could at least defend them with saying: there intentions were good at the early stage. The Joker is way too erratic for that.

Personally I don't know any real person who is genuinely evil who I support.(does a villain have to be completely evil?) I try to be moral and supporting such a person is kind of immoral. Though I don't want to deny that some people create a certain fascination. Some of these villains have charisma. This is why people fall for them. I think one could name a lot of politicians with this trait.
I love Death Note!

Reactions: katagiri83
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
The Grinch. He got rejected by everyone and became a misanthrope. I do not approve of his tactics, but I feel his pain. Also, the citizens of Whoville are annoying af.

The Grinch Heart GIF by The Good Films

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: QuietLake, GenesAndEnvironment, Ironweed and 5 others
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
That's a difficult question, villains by definition are evil and malicious. Usually the grayest villains are the ones with a completely disassociated moral compass from the one we normally have, contrary to an antagonist which definition covers a broader spectrum. There are villains that I like a lot, but sympathizing with them is another thing, if we go that way I have one, Yoshitaka Mine, from Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 (Yakuza 3). He is essentially empty, dead inside since childhood, lost and searching for meaning in his life, he had the tools to reach the top but no real motivation. When you know his background it's easy to understand how he became who he is and why he was so fascinated with being able to connect with others. As shady as all his actions were, as cynical, cold and malevolent as he was, his motive was a twisted but genuine love. With enough introspection and reflection he was able to understand it, but by that point he was so tired and repentant that he preferred to commit a double suicide, thus saving the one he loved the most and resting from what he had considered a meaningless life.

Last edited:
Reactions: stupidugly, cyanol, GentleJerk and 2 others
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
The villain of Incredibles 2 was spot on with her manifesto about how superhero worship is weird and comes from an infantile and rather lazy place in the human psyche. She's saying this as the antagonist of a literal children's movie, which sort of proves her point.

I think there was a missed opportunity there to critique the entirely-real seeds of fascism that lie behind people's desire to be saved by vigilante supermen, but Pixar probably didn't want to make their villain TOO sympathetic. Also, that film was 15 years in the making, and I doubt the studio realized how serious a turn cult-of-personality politics was about to take. Not that kids' movies should be required to be topical, but in this particular case that issue is very much an elephant in the room.

So yeah, I'm pretty much her, including the freaked-out, day drinking and doomscrolling aesthetic. I don't really see how her becoming a supervillain helped anything, but I can see how someone could get so fed up they'd fantasize about it. The whole issue is really about the dividing line between childhood daydreams that adult people may still (harmlessly) have, and actually going out and acting on some really sick and ultimately dangerous urges.

Reactions: chloramine
nys

nys

mors mihi lucrum
Jun 1, 2022
Probably Medusa or maybe the Joker because even though what he did was terrible, he had a horrible childhood so while I condemn his actions I also kind of feel bad for him because the pain in his life was what drove him to kill people and do terrible things

Reactions: veryhappyhuman and Lily (Osako)
gottablast888

gottablast888

Student
Apr 15, 2022
shadow the hedgehog...

Reactions: RetroChaos, chloramine, GentleJerk and 1 other person
nosurpries

nosurpries

Jul 3, 2022
matt reeve's version of the riddler. orphan who was physically and socially rejected and let down his entire live, always blaming himself for his poverty and suffering. that is until he finds out his suffering is the doings of a systematically courrupt society that has caused his endless cycle of pain. he was just an abused child with a mind of genius, i feel so bad for him. and also i relate to him a lot.

Reactions: Lily (Osako) and katagiri83
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Either old-school Vegeta or Sephiroth because they both want to basically destroy the planet and kill everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: BruhXDDDDD and 7b48hl
houseofleaves

houseofleaves

and this with thee remains.
Jan 14, 2022
Azula 🔥

Reactions: 7b48hl
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I would say Joaquin Phoenix's Joker was relatable (from an abused background standpoint) as well. Same as Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver. I think they went down dark paths, but I understand why.

Reactions: OpheliasFlowers and whatevs
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I really rooted for Enigma in the last Batman movie. He embodies a lot of my dark side. I felt like the screenwriters wanted to disgrace the conspiracy theorist archetype with him and how absurdly homicidal he gets by the end. But discarding that you can see how he's actually right about everything.
Jack from The House That Jack Built. I like a lot about that movie, actually.. How to describes, perfectly, the want to murder.. That, uh, man walking from street lamp to street lamp analogy.

I really like Jack, though, because of his charisma and character. Like how he posed his murder victims, and took photographs, or how he posed his son before his son reached rigor mortis. I also really adore.. I guess, what he did. And how he got away with everything he did. I guess it's a sense of wonder and fascination. I just hated how cowardly he was with his fate though.

You can't murder tons of people without facing consequences. Face hell, because you deserve to rot in it. That's what I think either way. I'm not gonna murder anyone, even though I have thoughts and urges to. Sigh.. I should stop talking about this before someone finds me in real life, heh.
I've always thought that ending the life of someone that's causing more suffering than anything in the world is a good deed. Like I always had this debate in my head regarding if murder can be part of Dharma somehow (the right path, the right action). In Fallout 3 when you killed an inmoral character you got deducted negative karma points. Nobody has yet convinced me of the contrary.

But this isn´t a settled debate in my head. Maybe violence is always spiritually harmful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Un-
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
I despised Light Yagami from episode 1 when I watched the show years ago. Precocious little goody-two-shoes shit. I liked that dreamy emo boy who
dies

As for villains I sympathize with? Nate from Euphoria I guess. What a hunk. He's basically a leftist's frantic fever dream of a hulking vicious psycho straight white male conservative bully terrorizing the oppressed and the marginalized. Beneath all the really silly and contrived super-duper-evil things the writers force him to do, he seems like a really nice guy.

But that's what effective propaganda does. They have to give him a core of being just a regular nice white guy so they get more out of it when they can tack the crazy stuff on top. That way, when viewers meet nice white guys in real life, they're immediately programmed to be suspicious and antagonistic toward them even if they're decent people. It's an effective way to get society to treat straight white men like shit.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: 7b48hl
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020

Honestly some of your posts sound quite scary @Un- ! I think you have been through a lot. And I think even on the scale of people here you seem to suffer a lot. I sometimes wonder he it must feel to be in your skin. I think it must be pretty horrific.

You seem to have some desires to hurt either animals or humans. But you also seem to try to resist your urges as you said it. And I think this is really important. I pay huge respect for that.

Have you ever been in contact with a professional? Maybe you could get help in how to avoid damaging behavior. I don't want to force anyone to one. But I don't want that you get in trouble in case your urges overwhelm you.

I hope you don't feel offended by this post. I cannot really imagine everything that is going through your mind exactly.

• Love
Reactions: Nolan96 and Un-
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
But Mr. Heisenberg. was quite cool.
Like as in Walter White? Dude. He was the biggest piece of shit. If anything I sympathised with Jesse.

Last edited:
Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
Honestly some of your posts sound quite scary @Un- ! I think you have been through a lot. And I think even on the scale of people here you seem to suffer a lot. I sometimes wonder he it must feel to be in your skin. I think it must be pretty horrific.

You seem to have some desires to hurt either animals or humans. But you also seem to try to resist your urges as you said it. And I think this is really important. I pay huge respect for that.

Have you ever been in contact with a professional? Maybe you could get help in how to avoid damaging behavior. I don't want to force anyone to one. But I don't want that you get in trouble in case your urges overwhelm you.

I hope you don't feel offended by this post. I cannot really imagine everything that is going through your mind exactly.
I don't think I've been through a lot. A lot of people here have it much worse than I do. I'm just an attention seeking nigger fuck that doesn't know when to shut his mouth.

Thank you though. It's a weird dynamic inside my head. I don't know what's going on, but sometimes I feel like crying, and other times I feel like grabbing a random person off the street and torturing them for three years. There's more to it, but I really don't want to derail your thread. I'm sorry for that, by the way.

I don't plan on living that long, thank god. I despise myself. The people around me despise me. The people on this forum despise me. I can confidently say that everything would be better off if my brain stem was ripped out. In the event that I don't go out soon, I probably.. I don't know. I don't want to be detained, in a psych ward, prison - whatever. I'll deal with it myself. I get what's coming to me anyways. I'm dirt. Disgusting vile that.. Just awful.

Thank you for.. Telling me this though. I genuinely mean it. There's nothing more isolating and painful than.. Even the "crazy" people to look at you as if you're Satan himself. I like your posts by the way. Interesting stuff.

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
I don't think I've been through a lot. A lot of people here have it much worse than I do. I'm just an attention seeking nigger fuck that doesn't know when to shut his mouth.

Thank you though. It's a weird dynamic inside my head. I don't know what's going on, but sometimes I feel like crying, and other times I feel like grabbing a random person off the street and torturing them for three years. There's more to it, but I really don't want to derail your thread. I'm sorry for that, by the way.

I don't plan on living that long, thank god. I despise myself. The people around me despise me. The people on this forum despise me. I can confidently say that everything would be better off if my brain stem was ripped out. In the event that I don't go out soon, I probably.. I don't know. I don't want to be detained, in a psych ward, prison - whatever. I'll deal with it myself. I get what's coming to me anyways. I'm dirt. Disgusting vile that.. Just awful.

Thank you for.. Telling me this though. I genuinely mean it. There's nothing more isolating and painful than.. Even the "crazy" people to look at you as if you're Satan himself. I like your posts by the way. Interesting stuff.
Why the nigger word choice though?

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
I'm black, and I hate myself.
Then you might get a race card pass for the word usage, but I can't promise anything!

• Yay!
Reactions: Ringo and Un-