• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Select all that you agree with

• Cogito ergo sum/I think therefore I am

• Dubito ergo sum/I doubt therefore I am

• Volo ergo sum/I wish therefore I am

• Sentio ergo sum/I feel therefore I am

• Other; specify in replys

Results are only viewable after voting.
TransMagical

TransMagical

Volo ergo sum
Feb 10, 2023
witch of these "philosophies"* do you agree with most

[Select all that apply]

*in quotes as they are not philosophy to my understanding of a philosophy, but 'I think therefore I am/cogito ergo sum' is the 'first principle' of some guy like Rènee's philosophy

hrsprayqn

hrsprayqn

trying to hold on
Nov 14, 2022
"I think therefore I am" is the only one I can say I agree with.

Without thinking, you cannot know that you feel, that you doubt, that you are even a thing, that's what Descartes was getting at with cogito ergo sum.

For example:

Does my country exist? Don't know
Does my city exist? Don't know
Do my friends exist? Don't know
Do I exist? Don't know
Am I thinking? Yes.
Does that mean I exist? Yes.

Since I'm thinking, I can know that I exist. Absolutely everything else is doubtful (if you take the position of skeptic, though I wouldn't recommend that. Brain in a Vat hypotheses will just drive you insane)

TransMagical

TransMagical

Volo ergo sum
Feb 10, 2023
"I think therefore I am" is the only one I can say I agree with.

Without thinking, you cannot know that you feel, that you doubt, that you are even a thing, that's what Descartes was getting at with cogito ergo sum.

For example:

Does my country exist? Don't know
Does my city exist? Don't know
Do my friends exist? Don't know
Do I exist? Don't know
Am I thinking? Yes.
Does that mean I exist? Yes.

Since I'm thinking, I can know that I exist. Absolutely everything else is doubtful (if you take the position of skeptic, though I wouldn't recommend that. Brain in a Vat hypotheses will just drive you insane)
But what if people in our dreams can think? What if AI gets intelligent enough to program itself, therefore its thinking as it programs itself to act how it wants. Is the dream person still real? No. AI real living being? No.

In my opinion, to know you "exist", you have to go beyond basic human "thinking", you have to be able to want and desire, aswell as feel emotions. The situations above will only be able to check 1 of those 2 boxes at most.