Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I was reading Fahrenheit 451 and there's a part where the main character is watching his wife being resuscitated by two strange service workers. He thinks to himself that he's never seen these men before and that most people are strangers nowadays due to there being too many people in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctvunny
FadingSunshine

FadingSunshine

Nothing lasts forever.
Jul 8, 2023
Fahrenheit 451 is a great book. I feel like social media and the internet in general can connect people together. For example, without the internet, you and I would never talk and would never know about each other. A lot of people seem to think that phones and technology are bringing us apart, but I think it's the opposite.

• Love
Reactions: wasted__life__23 and LoiteringClouds
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Fahrenheit 451 is a great book. I feel like social media and the internet in general can connect people together. For example, without the internet, you and I would never talk and would never know about each other. A lot of people seem to think that phones and technology are bringing us apart, but I think it's the opposite.
Out in the world, we'd never talk even if you bumped into me. Online forums are words in the ether, an illusion of connection. I see you all as your avatars. None of you are people to me.

Last edited:
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I would like to politely disagree. I think phones and technology are driving people apart and making them become more lonely and isolated. You say you never would have talked to the OP but is that a real interaction? Communities are breaking down, we dont have to leave our house anymore, say hello to a neighbour, carry somebodys shopping or hold a door for someone. I'm sure people will say they hate all those little interaction and would rather be indoors but I think it is making us less human, we are social and communal creatures. Problems with mental health have surged recently and many studies link it to the rise in social media and a lonliness epidemic.

Reactions: Ambivalent1
FadingSunshine

FadingSunshine

Nothing lasts forever.
Jul 8, 2023
I would like to politely disagree. I think phones and technology are driving people apart and making them become more lonely and isolated. You say you never would have talked to the OP but is that a real interaction? Communities are breaking down, we dont have to leave our house anymore, say hello to a neighbour, carry somebodys shopping or hold a door for someone. I'm sure people will say they hate all those little interaction and would rather be indoors but I think it is making us less human, we are social and communal creatures. Problems with mental health have surged recently and many studies link it to the rise in social media and a lonliness epidemic.
Good point. I definitely do think that technology has affected socializing in that way. Think how many times we've stayed inside to watch youtube or netflix, if we didn't have internet would we spend that time with others?
At least from my perspective I think technology is helpful for my socializing, but I also require and seek out socializing a lot less than the average person. To me texting someone is just as valid as talking to them face to face, although they are definitely both different in their socializing capability (If that makes any sense, not very good at writing my thoughts out!) However, others might think about it differently depending on their social needs.

Reactions: carac
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Good point. I definitely do think that technology has affected socializing in that way. Think how many times we've stayed inside to watch youtube or netflix, if we didn't have internet would we spend that time with others?
At least from my perspective I think technology is helpful for my socializing, but I also require and seek out socializing a lot less than the average person. To me texting someone is just as valid as talking to them face to face, although they are definitely both different in their socializing capability (If that makes any sense, not very good at writing my thoughts out!) However, others might think about it differently depending on their social needs.
The internet should've stayed a tool for research with Pong being the only available video game

Reactions: wasted__life__23
W

wasted__life__23

Sep 9, 2023
Ironically, the more connected we are by social media and the internet, the less connected we are physically. Alone in a crowd - which is how I feel most days, anyway.

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Yeah I think that in this digital age, more and more people will grow disconnected as we become a more technological society. People will become alienated and disconnected from others, and instead increasingly use the internet to interact. I know this because I'm one of these people. I rarely talk to people these days and I spend my days surfing the web and browsing the internet. I haven't seen any of my friends in months because I've pushed them all away. But honestly I love and rather even prefer being alone over human company and being with other people.

I think there's a different kind of connection through the internet. You can still find community even though you don't interact in person. Rather, it's all online. So while people may feel disconnected in their everyday lives, they turn to online spaces to try to find some connection and semblance of a community

Reactions: darksoul
Unattainable666

Unattainable666

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2023
I believe it will get worse. I'm a bit old school. I remember the days of sending birthday cards, going to check on neighbors, kids playing outside. I think my generation is the last generation to have all that great interaction with it. Then came computers and computer games, etc. Hold on hold on I know what you're thinking. Think about it now we dont ever have to see each other People meet via the internet, shop via the internet - there is hardly any interaction between people anymore - it makes humans less open to relationships. Just my point of view.