• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Mebius

Mebius

Student
Jun 13, 2024
So I got a shitty low wage job at a factory and i will be working very soon. Do any of you skilled wage slavers have any tips to for me so that i dont lose my mind? Since i live with my shit ass parents i will be able to save around $600/month, is this decent enough? How to get over the shame of working a braindead low wage job?

• Hugs
Reactions: heavyeyes, etherealspring, hoppybunny and 6 others
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Proud Normie
Sep 19, 2023
Saving anything is good, so $600 sounds nice.

I'd say start by ditching the "wage slave" verbiage, in all seriousness. Yes, work sucks. Slaves could not save $600/month, and repeating over and over to yourself how it is horrible evil slavery will just make you more miserable. You see people go deeper and deeper into that rhetoric, then onto the incel forums and they start adopting that toxic outlook: it just destroys their spirit.

Work sucks, but it doesn't have to be excruciating torture. Think about what you're working for; why you're saving. Think about the positives of your job. Factory jobs are probably really tough, but you're getting away from screens for a bit and likely getting some exercise, so in that way it's better than me sitting in a chair looking at a screen all day until my brain is fried. All that bullshit people say about mindfulness is frustrating because it's kinda true.

I'd also say focus on the skills you're leveling up. Every job I've had, including cleaning/janitor type work and running a food stand, I've gotten better in a way that I could apply to other parts of my life. Communication, efficiency. Maybe getting more efficient so that you can afford to take small breaks more often because the task took you less long than others. Maybe muscle definition. Whatever it is, seeing progress is really helpful.

It's also not permanent, right? These days, you can hop out and try something else pretty much whenever. This is only a portion of your life as a whole. So keep that in mind. It is what it is.

Having money is awesome. And it's very different when it's your money rather than mommy and daddy's. My fiance always says that when she feels sad at work she pulls up her bank account to look at how it has gone up. Works for her.

If I may ask, what are you hoping to save for? For me, it is worth it to work so I can have a home and be away from my insane parents.

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: etherealgoddess, 4lw4ysst4gn4t, Bleneviola and 13 others
prana

prana

Country boy
Jul 15, 2024

I'd say start by ditching the "wage slave" verbiage, in all seriousness. Yes, work sucks. Slaves could not save $600/month, and repeating over and over to yourself how it is horrible evil slavery will just make you more miserable. You see people go deeper and deeper into that rhetoric, then onto the incel forums and they start adopting that toxic outlook: it just destroys their spirit.
Sometimes someone posts such a healthy, constructive, helpful take on here that I'm like... I wonder what you're even doing on sanctioned-suicide.

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: Bleneviola, heavyeyes, GoatHerder and 6 others
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I REALLY love an d100% agree with @derpyderpins message to you.

Back in 1974, I HAD to get ANY job, as I was homeless, hungry and had no money. YEP, my 1st job, was not much money, however I could eat and survive. It was not that long, and I jumped to another position that I kept till I went to college in 1980. One has to start somewhere.

Fast forward to 2024, I am 68, still work, have done well, and it started with a lower paying position, and I worked like hell to get ahead, be noticed and saved money.

You are a smart, hardworking person who WILL do really good things, and it can all start with one's 1st or maybe 2nd full time position.

Give yourself lots of credit and pat on the back and go get them!

Walter

• Hugs
Reactions: Bleneviola, heavyeyes, hoppybunny and 6 others
Mebius

Mebius

Student
Jun 13, 2024

Work sucks, but it doesn't have to be excruciating torture. Think about what you're working for; why you're saving. Think about the positives of your job. Factory jobs are probably really tough, but you're getting away from screens for a bit and likely getting some exercise, so in that way it's better than me sitting in a chair looking at a screen all day until my brain is fried. All that bullshit people say about mindfulness is frustrating because it's kinda true.

I'd also say focus on the skills you're leveling up. Every job I've had, including cleaning/janitor type work and running a food stand, I've gotten better in a way that I could apply to other parts of my life. Communication, efficiency. Maybe getting more efficient so that you can afford to take small breaks more often because the task took you less long than others. Maybe muscle definition. Whatever it is, seeing progress is really helpful.

It's also not permanent, right? These days, you can hop out and try something else pretty much whenever. This is only a portion of your life as a whole. So keep that in mind. It is what it is.

Having money is awesome. And it's very different when it's your money rather than mommy and daddy's. My fiance always says that when she feels sad at work she pulls up her bank account to look at how it has gone up. Works for her.

If I may ask, what are you hoping to save for? For me, it is worth it to work so I can have a home and be away from my insane parents.
I dont have a clear objective to save up, since every thing is almost impossible these days (cant buy house, cant get married, cant have kids, etc) but ive been a NEET parasite up until now (20 year old), so id rather have some money just in case some bad shit happens. I have pretty good restraint (i think), and i can live frugally, so saving is hopefully going to be easy enough.

Also i will never get married, and there is no way im going to bring a human being into this hell hole, after how much my parents utterly failed at their job raising me.

• Hugs
Reactions: heavyeyes, hoppybunny, GoatHerder and 4 others
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Proud Normie
Sep 19, 2023
I dont have a clear objective to save up, since every thing is almost impossible these days (cant buy house, cant get married, cant have kids, etc) but ive been a NEET parasite up until now (20 year old), so id rather have some money just in case some bad shit happens. I have pretty good restraint (i think), and i can live frugally, so saving is hopefully going to be easy enough.

Also i will never get married, and there is no way im going to bring a human being into this hell hole, after how much my parents utterly failed at their job raising me.
You're 20? Man good on you. You see people these days who drift into their mid-20s or later without stepping out the door and trying. It's hard! Like @whywere said be proud of yourself.

Don't worry about buying a house yet. If you save up what you can and start some small investments (look into Roth IRAs available when your total income is under a certain amount) you can get a big head start on a lot of people. Honestly, I make good money now, but I think about how I was in law school until I was 25, and I didn't really start making good money until last year at age 30, and if you can save up ~$5k in a year and start squirreling some into investments, you could be 25 a good bit ahead of where I was by working part time and living at home.

Get competent, even if the job is not glamourous, and you've got a good future. Do it to spite your parents who fucked up.

• Love
Reactions: heavyeyes, hoppybunny, Praestat_Mori and 4 others
E

Edistrying

Jul 22, 2024

When I have bad days, I like to come to the "recovery" section, sometimes I find messages like yours and it makes me give my mind a break.

thank you, whoever you are <3

• Love
Reactions: heavyeyes, hoppybunny, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Proud Normie
Sep 19, 2023
Sometimes someone posts such a healthy, constructive, helpful take on here that I'm like... I wonder what you're even doing on sanctioned-suicide.
I've had a long journey with suicidal thoughts and recovery. Just trying to pass on what I've learned while I keep working on it.

When I have bad days, I like to come to the "recovery" section, sometimes I find messages like yours and it makes me give my mind a break.

thank you, whoever you are <3
I'm an NPC in the shadows. The normie SS deserves, not the one it needs.

(JK thanks for saying that)

Reactions: heavyeyes, hoppybunny, Edistrying and 1 other person
H

Hvergelmir

Student
May 5, 2024
I've been in a very competitive "dream job", a lot of people would sell their soul for.
I've also worked 12 hour night shifts in a factory.
How to get over the shame of working a braindead low wage job?
First off, get to know the braindead wage slaves. It can be a humbling experience, realizing that they actually got minds of their own. Not all of them, but there are good smart people.

After some years with a fancy job, I didn't want to be an elitist asshole, looking down on common work. Thus I took an offer for a factory job, without shame.
I'm great at my fancy job, but I'm not above doing dirty work when needed. It's a good experience.

Also, the perk of a brain dead job, is that you can do intellectual things on the side. Things like studying or creating something. With a prestigious, demanding job, that is a lot harder.

• Love
Reactions: heavyeyes, hoppybunny, derpyderpins and 2 others
hoppybunny

hoppybunny

Fearer of the Future
Jun 26, 2024

I always enjoy reading your posts cause you give good responses. The advice was honestly super helpful for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: derpyderpins and whywere
Y

youpi

Jul 4, 2024
I admire people like you who can get up for what they think is a "low wage" or a "brain-dead" job and have enough dedication to keep the job.

It also probably involve being physically active which is good for your health.

Adding to that, you can probably climb the ladder if you're good at it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sabitsuki, Praestat_Mori, Mebius and 1 other person