• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

winechateu

winechateu

Dec 4, 2020
i just ordered my SN and i have Zantac i was wondering if i could use that instead of tagament or Reglan. ??? but the wiki is gone??? let me know :)

Reactions: AQUA
Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
You can use Zantac (ranitidine, yeah?) instead of Tagamet because they are both acid reducers. Reglan is different because it's an anti-emetic.

Reactions: winechateu
winechateu

winechateu

Dec 4, 2020
You can use Zantac (ranitidine, yeah?) instead of Tagamet because they are both acid reducers. Reglan is different because it's an anti-emetic.
bless youuuuuu❤️❤️thank you so much

Reactions: Silver
justanotherstar

justanotherstar

Life: you can’t fire me, I quit.
Nov 23, 2020
Yep you ca use Zantac not sure of the dose though

Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
The PPH suggests 80mg of Prilosec or Nexium as alternatives to Tagamet.
Heya Nimbus, question for you (apologies if I already asked this, my brain injuries cause problems with memory!!)

Prilosec and Nexium are proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) where tagament is an H2-receptor antagonist; different MoAs.

What is the timing of the PPIs relative to SN ingestion? Does the PPH recommend immediate use of PPIs prior to SN?

Also, do they recommend that meto or other anti-emetics still be taken to ameliorate nausea and/or rapid gastric emptying properties?

(Please feel free to PM answer instead of posting here if need be).

<3

Nimbus

Nimbus

Hanging on is hard
Dec 2, 2019
PPH guidance states that the Tagamet (800mg) (or, alternatively, PPIs Prilosec 80mg or Nexium 80mg) serve to potentiate the SN by reducing stomach acid and increasing SN absorption. Yes, they do have different MoAs but apparently can generally serve the same purpose with SN, although they do suggest Tagamet over the others.

PPH recommends taking metoclopramide (30mg) about 40 mins prior to SN, and says that the Tagamet (or PPIs) can be taken at the same time. Of course, the meto is to help with nausea/vomiting/stomach emptying. They also suggest taking the meto with ondansetron (8mg), although I'm not clear on the reasoning behind this. I didn't get any myself.

In short, the PPH says all of the aforementioned can be taken together with minimal tap water about 40 mins prior to taking SN (25-35g, depending on weight).

Finally, PPH recommends taking 800mg of propranolol along with the SN (can be crushed and mixed into same glass) in order to potentiate the SN and also minimize the discomfort by making you pass out faster.

Hope this is helpful (and that I'm not breaking any copyright laws :haha:).

Last edited:
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
:)

Thank you!

I think I am going to take both the Meto and Zofran (ondansetron) in the hopes of preventing vomiting, which I really, really hate - although it may happen anyway. I have not heard of any anecdotal reports of using both anti-emetics in the SN regimen (unless I missed something here). I am also considering scopolamine, but all of this may be too much - who knows? (Need to do my research on time-to-onset and interactions here.) Zofran works on different receptors than Meto, which is why they may recommend it.

Meto comes with a black box warning for Tardive dyskinesia and can cause EPS, which if I survive and get these symptoms, will just make life so much worse than it already is - another fear of mine. And the regimen per the PPH is somewhat of a high dose (30 mg vs. 10 mg of Meto).

Zofran is extremely expensive here, but luckily I have it on hand due to my head injuries and ongoing nausea.I have the sublingual formula which is a plus. For me, it has worked really, really well but an 8 mg dose has a tendency to knock me out (which may be a good thing).

Thanks again!!!

On edit: The tardive dyskinesia usually occurs after prolonged use and not single use - which may make a difference. Also, use of a histamine may offset symptoms.

Nimbus

Nimbus

Hanging on is hard
Dec 2, 2019
Zofran works on different receptors than Meto, which is why they may recommend it.
Ah, yes. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. If you're taking both meto and Zofran, then you're doing just what the PPH recommends. I hate vomiting too, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I will most likely vomit . I think the higher dose of antiemetics just serve to try and keep things down as long as possible in order to get as much SN as possible into the bloodstream before the body rejects it. I'm really not sure if adding scopolamine would have a positive or negative effect. My gut feeling is that the meto and Zofran would be sufficient.

Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
I think the meto and Zofran might also be sufficient - I am probably going overkill here (ack - no dark pun intended there).

The regular dose of Zofran is 8 mg, and because it has worked so well for me for nausea, I am tempted to increase the dose. Onset to action for Zofran for chemotherapy is about 30 minutes, and for other indications is 1 to 2 hours, so I may take it a bit before the meto. I really wish I knew more.

Sighs - I have resigned myself to vomiting as well. I have to laugh a bit at myself - as if vomiting is the worst part. But still, I really, really hate it. I almost wish I was on an antipsychotic regimen as this would eliminate the need for an antiemetic (Stan's guide details which antipsychotics help).

<3

Reactions: Nimbus
Nimbus

Nimbus

Hanging on is hard
Dec 2, 2019
I have to laugh a bit at myself - as if vomiting is the worst part. But still, I really, really hate it.
Yes, this exactly. "Please, I want to poison myself to death but just can't take the vomiting part that comes first." :))

I'm right there with you.

• Hugs
Reactions: Weary Soul