Abgrundanziehung

Abgrundanziehung

or Abi for short
Jun 24, 2020
Just one of those things that really bugs me. There are so many people who desperately want to live, but die due to not finding an organ donor in time. Why not allow euthanasia for those who want it, and allow them to donate their organs to those who need them? One person who doesn't want to live can give a second chance to many others that do. I think it would be a lot harder for even the most committed pro-lifers to justify thinking ill of someone who chooses to end their own life when doing so could save so many others. "Oh really, you think we should have let all those other people die of organ failure instead?" Watching the mental gymnastics they'd have to preform to justify their position would be fascinating.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, devil, Terminally drunk and 17 others
A

AnxietyAttack44

I just wanna go to my husband already.
Jun 5, 2020
I wish it worked that way. I wouldnt mind giving my organs to those who want to live. They deserve it. Life is unfair. They need organs but cant have them, and we want to give it to them but are not allowed to. And when we ctb, most of our organs might be too damaged to be of any use.

• Love
Reactions: chumley123, it's_all_a_game, GiveMePeace and 4 others
brainpain2

brainpain2

Student
Sep 16, 2019
If only it worked that way! I have no desire to donate my organs (sorry if that makes me shitty, I guess it's one of several things) but I very much would like to donate my body to medical research . Unfortunately the University closest to me's body donation program will NOT take suicides. I have no idea why not because others so. It seems hit or miss based on my research. I

Reactions: Abgrundanziehung
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
I thought about that as well. Thought that it is not correct to let die those who wants to live with all their hearts and save numerous amount of times those who wants to die. However, I reached some conclusions which could explain why this happens.
1) Conservative views (cultural specifics, churches, etc.) - conservative people act through their own understanding of ethics and morality, ofc they do not want to make suicides widely acceptable; pro-lifers, other social groups will make unrest.
2) Legal issues. Tons of paperwork to introduce new laws, new regulations. Possible only under totalitarian/authoritarian government which can simply do that without necessity of hundreds of approvals, referendums, etc.
3) Black market. No matter what measures will be taken, it will exist. Human trafficking, illegal surgery rooms. Plus they don't pay taxes, governments don't like you if you do not pay taxes.
4) Government control of our bodies. Just try to recall how long it took to fight to legalize abortions, I don't even talk about homosexuality. They want some fresh slaves to work for economy.
That's it probably, too sleepy to recall something else.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, TAW122, Bct and 1 other person
F

fatmanatee

May 21, 2020
This reminds me of a Star Trek Voyager episode called Emanations. It shows a society where people can humanely die when they are suffering or feel like a burden to others. It is kind of forced on people via an accepted custom of the society, as that is the theme of the episode, but I think people should have the right to choose.

Something like what you say and a way to peacefully transition would be a compassionate thing to have.

Reactions: GiveMePeace, Bct, The Dark Chaos and 1 other person
F

FusRohDracarys

But what do I know
Mar 31, 2020
I wonder how many people who commit suicide have viable organs anyway. Generally, people who are suicidal don't take great care of their bodies. Drugs, alchol, eating disorders, etc. Just a thought to consider.

Abgrundanziehung

Abgrundanziehung

or Abi for short
Jun 24, 2020
I wish it worked that way. I wouldnt mind giving my organs to those who want to live. They deserve it. Life is unfair. They need organs but cant have them, and we want to give it to them but are not allowed to. And when we ctb, most of our organs might be too damaged to be of any use.
It's just pure insanity.
If only it worked that way! I have no desire to donate my organs (sorry if that makes me shitty, I guess it's one of several things) but I very much would like to donate my body to medical research . Unfortunately the University closest to me's body donation program will NOT take suicides. I have no idea why not because others so. It seems hit or miss based on my research. I
I don't think it's shitty at all. That's another way to contribute. In my imaginary world where my proposal is real, it would be completely voluntary and meant to at least make someone's death mean something if they choose that route, even though they couldn't make their life mean enough. It's just maddening that there's a solution to two groups of people's problems and yet so many can't think logically enough to support something like that
I thought about that as well. Thought that it is not correct to let die those who wants to live with all their hearts and save numerous amount of times those who wants to die. However, I reached some conclusions which could explain why this happens.
1) Conservative views (cultural specifics, churches, etc.) - conservative people act through their own understanding of ethics and morality, ofc they do not want to make suicides widely acceptable; pro-lifers, other social groups will make unrest.
2) Legal issues. Tons of paperwork to introduce new laws, new regulations. Possible only under totalitarian/authoritarian government which can simply do that without necessity of hundreds of approvals, referendums, etc.
3) Black market. No matter what measures will be taken, it will exist. Human trafficking, illegal surgery rooms. Plus they don't pay taxes, governments don't like you if you do not pay taxes.
4) Government control of our bodies. Just try to recall how long it took to fight to legalize abortions, I don't even talk about homosexuality. They want some fresh slaves to work for economy.
That's it probably, too sleepy to recall something else.

Oh you're right. It's just unfortunate that most of the reasons it hasn't happened are bad reasons, I think. Like false morality, as you said. Though there would have to be protections for sure to avoid black market shenanigans.
I wonder how many people who commit suicide have viable organs anyway. Generally, people who are suicidal don't take great care of their bodies. Drugs, alchol, eating disorders, etc. Just a thought to consider.
There are certainly many people who wouldn't qualify. I'm not even sure I would qualify with my health conditions. But medical science is advanced enough to test for the likelihood that a person's organs are viable enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, faust and AnxietyAttack44
A

AnxietyAttack44

Jun 5, 2020
Sure, there are many like that, but there are those who suffered great emotional trauma. For example im a healthy person, but i want to ctb cuz i lost husband and kids, they died. I still take care of myself and my health. I have to. But my goal wont change. I just dont want to be liability till i ctb, or on some special medical care.

My suicide method wont care if im weak and sick or not, so might as well stay healthy. Othervise i might not even be able to do it. But as i do kill myself, im sure my body will be unusable.

Thats just my opinion. Some people who kill themselves might be healthy, but have too much trauma to handle the pressure.

Abgrundanziehung

Abgrundanziehung

or Abi for short
Jun 24, 2020
Sure, there are many like that, but there are those who suffered great emotional trauma. For example im a healthy person, but i want to ctb cuz i lost husband and kids, they died. I still take care of myself and my health. I have to. But my goal wont change. I just dont want to be liability till i ctb, or on some special medical care.

My suicide method wont care if im weak and sick or not, so might as well stay healthy. Othervise i might not even be able to do it. But as i do kill myself, im sure my body will be unusable.

Thats just my opinion. Some people who kill themselves might be healthy, but have too much trauma to handle the pressure.
That's the kind of thing I was trying to get at I guess. People who wish to end it have access to safe and effective means to do so, and in turn, those who wish to can make a contribution to those who might not get the organs they need to continue living. I think it would change the popular narrative of suicide as being selfish to that it can actually be a profoundly unselfish act.

Reactions: The Dark Chaos and AnxietyAttack44
A

AnxietyAttack44

Jun 5, 2020
That's the kind of thing I was trying to get at I guess. People who wish to end it have access to safe and effective means to do so, and in turn, those who wish to can make a contribution to those who might not get the organs they need to continue living. I think it would change the popular narrative of suicide as being selfish to that it can actually be a profoundly unselfish act.
That would be ideal for so many people in this world. Even for my own family and their health issues. I wish i could just give my life to them. They can have my candle

Abgrundanziehung

Abgrundanziehung

or Abi for short
Jun 24, 2020
That would be ideal for so many people in this world. Even for my own family and their health issues. I wish i could just give my life to them. They can have my candle
That's a wonderful thought. I wish I could give my light to someone who could use it more too :heart:

• Love
Reactions: AnxietyAttack44
FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
FYI: Very few if any organs can be donated by a person who has suicided. I think much of the reason is due to time and of course, method would affect this as well. I did some research on this for SS. It came from 100s of parents discussing whether or not their child was considered for organ donation. Some hanging victims and gunshots to the head were found alive - when declared brain dead, could donate. One suicide was in the parking lot of a hospital - he called them to say he was going to die, and they were already too late to harvest any organs. Some things that were donated: eyes, corneas, heart valves, bone, and skin. If euthanasia was legal, I'm sure they would have a process to preserve the body long enough to remove organs.

SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

I'm all about coffee and cigarettes
Jul 24, 2019
In the UK at least, this seems highly unnecessary, as with the new rules, every citizen is an organ donor by default.

I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
I find this argument to be flawed. I think euthanasia should be legal for mental illness as human rights perspective. I find it's better to stick up for the cause you believe in strictly as to why it should be legal. If you couldn't donate your organs wouldn't you still want euthanasia to be legal.

Reactions: Abgrundanziehung and TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I agree with you and on paper, yes, it should be legalized but with many safeguards and procedures to ensure that the person is truly consenting to a permanent decision, as there is no undoing or reversing death. Also, @faust has lots of good points too, from the legal, logistical, and ethical point of view, where there is so much potential for abuse and wrongful death especially from unscrupulous sources.

With that said, there should be safeguards, maybe another new position (to avoid ethical dilemmas with doctors and those within the medical professions - due to the Hippocratic Oath of 'doing no harm'). While in the current world in countries where euthanasia is legal, even then, a doctor cannot actively end a patient's life (even after approval and given the green light), but only prescribe the lethal drug for the patient to take on his/her own (referring to Switzerland, and Dignitas). So in short, it's a good idea but there has to be lots of safeguards and screenings in order to ensure there is no abuse, misuse, or even people who are just going through a temporary phase/doing it on impulse.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, faust and Abgrundanziehung
Abgrundanziehung

Abgrundanziehung

or Abi for short
Jun 24, 2020
FYI: Very few if any organs can be donated by a person who has suicided. I think much of the reason is due to time and of course, method would affect this as well. I did some research on this for SS. It came from 100s of parents discussing whether or not their child was considered for organ donation. Some hanging victims and gunshots to the head were found alive - when declared brain dead, could donate. One suicide was in the parking lot of a hospital - he called them to say he was going to die, and they were already too late to harvest any organs. Some things that were donated: eyes, corneas, heart valves, bone, and skin. If euthanasia was legal, I'm sure they would have a process to preserve the body long enough to remove organs.
That's an interesting study. Or at least the kind of thing I find interesting. But I'm strange. It's so upsetting that people like that guy at the hospital who did everything a reasonable person would think to do to make sure his death could help others still wasn't able to have his "final wish." He went through a lot of effort to make that happen, still couldn't. Makes me so much more sad for him.
In the UK at least, this seems highly unnecessary, as with the new rules, every citizen is an organ donor by default.
That's a logical and sane policy right there. I'm an organ donor, but here in the US, I had to opt in. It bothers me though that because I have to do it all in secret, I won't be found in time for me to actually become an organ donor. I wish for myself, personally that there was a way that I had access to a legal and effective suicide method that also didn't damage my organs and that systems could be put in place so that I could realistically donate them after death.
I find this argument to be flawed. I think euthanasia should be legal for mental illness as human rights perspective. I find it's better to stick up for the cause you believe in strictly as to why it should be legal. If you couldn't donate your organs wouldn't you still want euthanasia to be legal.
I realize I wrote all that in kind of a weird way. I agree with you completely about euthanasia should be allowed as a basic human right for all regardless of how their remains are used or not used. I just wrote the post because I wish I could give a second chance to people who want to live but can't because they can't get a new spare part. I want to do this, but most likely can't. It would give my death some meaning. I guess I wish humanity as a whole was more logical and kind and could realistically make this type of thing an option for people like me who want it.
I agree with you and on paper, yes, it should be legalized but with many safeguards and procedures to ensure that the person is truly consenting to a permanent decision, as there is no undoing or reversing death. Also, @faust has lots of good points too, from the legal, logistical, and ethical point of view, where there is so much potential for abuse and wrongful death especially from unscrupulous sources.

With that said, there should be safeguards, maybe another new position (to avoid ethical dilemmas with doctors and those within the medical professions - due to the Hippocratic Oath of 'doing no harm'). While in the current world in countries where euthanasia is legal, even then, a doctor cannot actively end a patient's life (even after approval and given the green light), but only prescribe the lethal drug for the patient to take on his/her own (referring to Switzerland, and Dignitas). So in short, it's a good idea but there has to be lots of safeguards and screenings in order to ensure there is no abuse, misuse, or even people who are just going through a temporary phase/doing it on impulse.
You're so right. It would definitely need to implemented very carefully for a lot of reasons including to avoid abuse. I don't think that will happen any time soon, if ever. I think we'll perfect technology like growing organs for transplant before any country could change their laws so dramatically. It would be career suicide at this point for anyone who seriously tried to make my idea a reality.

Last edited:
Terminally drunk

Terminally drunk

Student
Aug 29, 2018
why not just clone humans in a lab an use those organs. what you don't know cant hurt ya right.