T

top_cat

Feb 21, 2019
Life sucks and is grossly unfair. There's absolutely no guarantee of pleasure but there is of suffering which lasts way longer and is greater in intensity.

"The good things in life" just don't make sense. I do think that small things (food, sex, friendship) can only help if you've not crossed a threshold of suffering. Once that happens then no amount of distractions will ever make life worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: Funkbunny, Jc40, suffering and 10 others
C

Cookiedough8956

Wowzers
Feb 24, 2019
Well said!

Reactions: TAW122 and Never Free
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
A lot of people seem to live on a kind of learned autopilot that I don't seem to be capable of buuut... I suppose it's possible that some suicides aren't recorded correctly, for instance if the person makes it look like an accident or if they're a missing person or something. Then because of the lack of availability of a peaceful means to ctb, maybe? Or spiritual beliefs that class it as immoral or having consequences in the afterlife? Instinct to care for others I guess, too.

Reactions: MistakesHappen, Jc40, bayonetta97 and 5 others
sadsoul

sadsoul

Alive and unwell
Sep 9, 2018
I guess one reason the suicide rate isn't higher is because ctb is really difficult. I sometimes wonder how many people would ctb if everyone had a button that instantly kills you...10 million? 100 million? Maybe even a billion?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Jc40, Fenty(nal) and 5 others
S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
For you! Plenty of people are happy with their overall life. Just because we are miserable pieces of shit doesn't mean everyone is.

Reactions: AveryConure, Didymus, WOODESITY and 3 others
Can'tStandAnymore

Can'tStandAnymore

Custom title
Mar 16, 2019
Religions also. They restrict you in the first place when you should think about doing ctb.

Reactions: Funkbunny, WOODESITY and TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Pretty much survival instinct and humans believe there is hope even in such dire odds. They aren't always wrong, but more often than not, things don't always go to plan or get better.

@Walilamdzi Yeah those reasons pretty much summed it up.

I guess one reason the suicide rate isn't higher is because ctb is really difficult. I sometimes wonder how many people would ctb if everyone had a button that instantly kills you...10 million? 100 million? Maybe even a billion?

The damned survival instinct and lack of an easy method (like pressing a button and then not existing) out.

For you! Plenty of people are happy with their overall life. Just because we are miserable pieces of shit doesn't mean everyone is.
Indeed, and I think most people live in some sort of delusion that life is great (well until catastrophe and tragedy strikes) and don't want their precious view on life shattered by the grim realities of life.

Religions also. They restrict you in the first place when you should think about doing ctb.
Religion has instilled fear in millions (or rather billions) of humans and that ctb'ing leads to eternal punishment or some negative consequence (not limited to Christianity though).

Reactions: sadsoul, Jc40 and Can'tStandAnymore
dysfunctional

dysfunctional

Arcanist
Oct 26, 2018
Because its actually really hard to kill yourself

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Walilamdzi and suffering
Jayxtri

Jayxtri

Student
Mar 6, 2019
There may be many people wanting to kill themselves, but they avoid the thought thinking it is hard. Only some really serious people go to the deep level of planning and research to find it is not so hard after-all. If everyone knew about use of gases or medicines brings easy death the rate would have been higher.

Reactions: Jc40
Darkhole

Darkhole

Feb 21, 2019
You might find this article interesting:

In 2016 there were 45,000 suicides (avg of 123 per day) in u.s.

30% increase since 1999

16 out of every 100,000 will take their own life

This ones really surprising:
two-thirds of gun-related deaths in America are suicides

Article is 3 years old, it's probably higher now. Also I've been hearing a lot recently that suicide is now the number 1 cause of death in the u.s. so I don't think we're as alone or as few as we feel.