Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
I was doing some Google-fu last night to see how many people die each year by suicide. I wasn't exactly doing a deep-dive, but the general answer seemed to be that out of the 8 billion people on this entire planet, approximately 1 million suicides are documented each year globally.

So if I'm doing the math right, there's 1000 millions in a billion, so if you remove 1 million from that number, there are about 999 million "survivors" left. Which is only like…0.1% of the amount of people in that billion who are voluntarily choosing to end their lives.

So that means less than 1/10th of 1% of people globally commit suicide. Why isn't this number higher? With the amount of bad shit that can conceivably go wrong in a person's life…why are so few of them CTB? (Also I apologize for the stupid math, I'm not the best with numbers)

• Love
Reactions: voltage268, flametrees, BeautifulMosaics and 3 others
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
it's extremely hard to kill yourself without access to peaceful way to die, if N was readily available to anyone who wants it no one would be alive
The United Nations estimate a global average life expectancy of 72.6 years for 2019 that means 70 million people will commit suicide in our lifetime

Reactions: tora, noname223, flametrees and 4 others
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Mar 24, 2021
it's extremely hard to kill yourself without access to peaceful way to die, if N was readily available to anyone who wants it no one would be alive
It's strange to me though that so many people on the planet are aware of some of the more popular suicide methods (hanging, bullet to the head, etc.) but they just arent doing it. I didn't think SI would kick in so frequently, and in such high numbers.

Humans go through an immense amount of pain. It doesn't make sense to me that we don't at least have like a 7% out of 8 billion people choosing to end their lives. I want to end it everyday of mine.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: layne2001, flametrees, BeautifulMosaics and 3 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
All humans are programmed to survive, even know many of us want to die it goes against our instinct to survive. Methods can fail and the society denies us the option of a peaceful exit. At least in my case, I believe I will need to be in a certain mental state and reach a point of desperation to actually be able to go through with it.

• Aww..
Reactions: demuic, voltage268, flametrees and 6 others
StarryStarry

StarryStarry

Cat Lady
Oct 25, 2021
Personally, I think one suicide is one too many. I live in the US and they don't give a shit about mental health. Unless you are a movie start or tik tok star you ain't shit and nobody cares if you live or die (gee do I sound a bit angry?)

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Arvinneedstodie, sasshimi, Buffy5120 and 9 others
Fadeawaaaay

Fadeawaaaay

Visionary
Nov 12, 2021
People adapt to circumstances. People can live with a tremendous amount of pain and misery. It's hard to kill yourself. It's scary. It can be logistically challenging. Look at all of us. For better or for worse, most of us will not succeed at this.

• Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: voltage268, m1r, flametrees and 5 others
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Mar 24, 2021
Personally, I think one suicide is one too many. I live in the US and they don't give a shit about mental health. Unless you are a movie start or tik tok star you ain't shit and nobody cares if you live or die (gee do I sound a bit angry?)
People care a lot about mattering. Everyone I know at my current workplace has a TikTok and they post on it almost daily, hoping for a chance to go viral. "Look at me! Look at me!" they are screaming. I knew a girl who would leave comments on this minor celebrity's Instagram page, and she'd giggle a lot if he put one of those little hearts on her post. It's crazy to think that for some people—that's enough of a reason to live. Getting briefly noticed by a celebrity means you are "important" now. I just don't get it.

I have never been inclined to watch those celebrity livestreams and get updates from them, and stuff like that. I really wish I could connect parasocially and derive satisfaction from it, because there are so many ways to do it now. But even if I did get the attention of a celebrity, it wouldn't matter much to me unless they wanted to give me money for an early retirement.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, charlottewilts and rationaltake
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
But you only make your calculus per year, you don't take into account the average lifespan...
According to the WHO, one person out of 100 will die of suicide in 2050.

One person out of 100.

Reactions: Seiba, _Minsk, Death is beautiful and 1 other person
StarryStarry

StarryStarry

Cat Lady
Oct 25, 2021
People care a lot about mattering. Everyone I know at my current workplace has a TikTok and they post on it almost daily, hoping for a chance to go viral. "Look at me! Look at me!" they are screaming. I knew a girl who would leave comments on this minor celebrity's Instagram page, and she'd giggle a lot if he put one of those little hearts on her post. It's crazy to think that for some people—that's enough of a reason to live. Getting briefly noticed by a celebrity means you are "important" now. I just don't get it.

I have never been inclined to watch those celebrity livestreams and get updates from them, and stuff like that. I really wish I could connect parasocially and derive satisfaction from it, because there are so many ways to do it now. But even if I did get the attention of a celebrity, it wouldn't matter much to me unless they wanted to give me money for an early retirement.
I think the people who are into all that crap have no soul, all they care about really doesn't matter in the overall scheme of life. Maybe I'm just an old fart. I believe that when people care about each other - really care - that's a true and unique person. Who gives a shit who the Kardashians are screwing???? Not me.

• Love
Reactions: flametrees, D&D and Dead Meat
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
But you only make your calculus per year, you don't take into account the average lifespan...
According to the WHO, one person out of 100 will die of suicide in 2050.

One person out of 100.
so 80,000,000 million it's still only 1 percent

Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
so 80,000,000 million it's still only 1 percent

I was wrong, it's already the case. In 2021, one person out of 100 dies of suicide.

StarryStarry

StarryStarry

Cat Lady
Oct 25, 2021

I was wrong, it's already the case. In 2021, one person out of 100 dies of suicide.
How fucking sad is that? It makes me cry to think that there is even one person out there who feels so helpless, so unloved, so lonely that they need to take their own life to stop the pain. And people just don't care. It's so sad.
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: voltage268, deflationary, Marktheghost and 5 others
amnotreal

amnotreal

Student
Oct 20, 2019
the numbers reported are going to be lower than the actual numbers. many types of suicide are hard to label as suicides with certainty. that the rates are low is in part due to access but maybe it is also part of our nature. human's wouldn't have been around this long if we had very high suicide rates. most people i know struggeling with suicidal urges don't want to die they want their suffering to stop or at least be tolerable. sometimes people find ways to make it tolerable.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, _Minsk and charlottewilts
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Mar 24, 2021

Even if it's not pandemic levels of death yet, it makes for a good headline, and reminds those who survive us that it's a problem that's not going away unless they do something to fix it. We need more people talking and thinking about it openly so they don't just throw us in a mental hospital and cross their fingers.

We need little pins on our shirt that say "My name is ____, and I want to die." to spread awareness that we exist among the general population. Or something straight to the point, like a black t-shirt that says "Suicidal." In bold print to help start conversations.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics and Fadeawaaaay
Insomniac

Insomniac

𝔄 𝔲 𝔱 𝔦 𝔰 𝔪
May 21, 2021
the low suicide rate makes me feel invalidated in my desire to end it.

Reactions: _Minsk and Anxieyote
Fadeawaaaay

Fadeawaaaay

Visionary
Nov 12, 2021
the numbers reported are going to be lower than the actual numbers. many types of suicide are hard to label as suicides with certainty. that the rates are low is in part due to access but maybe it is also part of our nature. human's wouldn't have been around this long if we had very high suicide rates. most people i know struggeling with suicidal urges don't want to die they want their suffering to stop or at least be tolerable. sometimes people find ways to make it
It's good to know that it's still the leading cause of death worldwide. Even if it's not pandemic levels of death yet, it makes for a good headline, and reminds those who survive us that it's a problem that's not going away unless they do something to fix it. We need more people talking and thinking about it openly so they don't just throw us in a mental hospital and cross their fingers.

We need little pins on our shirt that say "My name is ____, and I want to die." to spread awareness that we exist among the general population. Or something straight to the point, like a black t-shirt that says "Suicidal." In bold print to help start conversations.
It's good to know that it's still the leading cause of death worldwide. Even if it's not pandemic levels of death yet, it makes for a good headline, and reminds those who survive us that it's a problem that's not going away unless they do something to fix it. We need more people talking and thinking about it openly so they don't just throw us in a mental hospital and cross their fingers.

I think it's the leading cause of death among younger people…
I barely know anybody who has committed suicide…
I think 1 million per year worldwide is probably low… there's people committing suicide in ways that are not reported… Drinking and drugging himself to death as a form of passive suicide… I know somebody who died recently by drinking themselves to death…

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
yeah 1% percent of 8 billion
It's good to know that it's still the leading cause of death worldwide
suicide no where near the leading cause of death worldwide

Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
If an 80 year old widow drinks poison, they will likely not even perform an autopsy, and just say she died of old age. Some suicides are written as accidents (she accidentally fell off a cliff) or sudden heart attacks or accidental poisonings etc.

Survival instinct and Hope. Mind changes often.

And the fact that I can't just walk to a drug store, buy Nembutal and then go visit my friends/relatives and say "Hey I wanna die! Can you stay with me while I drink this N and die?". Suicide would be much easier if you could perform it in public in front of people's eyes. It would also be easier if suicide was okay in society, if you could be open about your suicide feelings, and didn't have to hide it.

I've met so many people who want ctb, but either their parents/spouses are always home and they don't want to get caught or

Mental jails. "I can't ctb at home, what if my spouse finds me and sends me to thought jail?"

Fear of failed attempts.

Lack of money. Some people don't even have money to buy a 5 dollar rope.

Lack of access to ctb methods, I mean if the nearest rope store is 50 miles away and you don't have a car, internet, phone, public transportation, etc. it's hard to buy a rope. Or if there's no place to do a full hanging or jump from a tower/bridge.

Not all people can access suicide wikis etc. I'm not a native English speaker, and if I hadn't learnt English at school and home, I would have no idea how to ctb because there would be no resources available in my native language.

Faith/spiritual/religious beliefs. Some feel that it's wrong to ctb or that it's wrong to ctb before age 50 etc. And of course gods will come and open the portal so I don't have to die and I can just freely enter the better worlds.

Some people have trouble following guides. When I was younger, I couldn't follow the simplest of guides. Teachers got really angry with me. I was the type to turn left and push, when the teachers told us to turn right and pull.

Tiredness. Some people don't even have the energy, power, ability to raise from their beds. Even ctbing requires too much energy for them.

Being in wheelchair. You can't drive a car, you can't walk. Pretty hard to ctb.

Some areas have a really high population density. It's often much easier to ctb if you live in a town of 500 people than if you live in a place where 20 000 000 people live in mud cups and there are 15 people per family, from grandparents to grandchildren living together.

Fear of death.

They don't want to ctb. It's like many people want to be writers, but few will even try writing in the end. Some people may say they want to die, but would never attempt ctb. They'll wait to die by other means.

"I wanna die, but what of my parents/spouses/friends/siblings/relatives/dogs/cats/rebbits/pets/etc.?"

Some people might work from dawn to dusk and be too tired to attempt a suicide after a 12 work day.

Lots of people will also think "I'm only 25, I want to die, but I will wait till I'm 35 to see if my life will get better, I don't wanna die young."

Then at last, some people die of illnesses before they ctb. A person might think of ctbing this weekend, but die in a car accident or of heart attack tomorrow.

I think that covers most of them.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Boredsapiens, Nemeshisu, layne2001 and 6 others
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Mar 24, 2021
yeah 1% percent of 8 billion

suicide no where near the leading cause of death worldwide
sorry about that, I edited my statement.

the low suicide rate makes me feel invalidated in my desire to end it.
Same here. Like everyone's going to judge me harshly for it.

There is a suicide awareness month though, correct? What we need to start doing is sharing our stories when this month comes around and being brave enough to talk openly about it with everyone. Way easier said than done, I know, but then we can have more people saying, "I know a suicidal person, and they don't seem like a crazy lunatic."

Reactions: layne2001, PeacefulTonic and Darkover
Fadeawaaaay

Fadeawaaaay

Visionary
Nov 12, 2021
If an 80 year old widow drinks poison, they will likely not even perform an autopsy, and just say she died of old age. Some suicides are written as accidents (she accidentally fell off a cliff) or sudden heart attacks or accidental poisonings etc.

Survival instinct and Hope. Mind changes often.

And the fact that I can't just walk to a drug store, buy Nembutal and then go visit my friends/relatives and say "Hey I wanna die! Can you stay with me while I drink this N and die?". Suicide would be much easier if you could perform it in public in front of people's eyes. It would also be easier if suicide was okay in society, if you could be open about your suicide feelings, and didn't have to hide it.

I've met so many people who want ctb, but either their parents/spouses are always home and they don't want to get caught or

Mental jails. "I can't ctb at home, what if my spouse finds me and sends me to thought jail?"

Fear of failed attempts.

Lack of money. Some people don't even have money to buy a 5 dollar rope.

Lack of access to ctb methods, I mean if the nearest rope store is 50 miles away and you don't have a car, internet, phone, public transportation, etc. it's hard to buy a rope. Or if there's no place to do a full hanging or jump from a tower/bridge.

Not all people can access suicide wikis etc. I'm not a native English speaker, and if I hadn't learnt English at school and home, I would have no idea how to ctb because there would be no resources available in my native language.

Faith/spiritual/religious beliefs. Some feel that it's wrong to ctb or that it's wrong to ctb before age 50 etc. And of course gods will come and open the portal so I don't have to die and I can just freely enter the better worlds.

Some people have trouble following guides. When I was younger, I couldn't follow the simplest of guides. Teachers got really angry with me. I was the type to turn left and push, when the teachers told us to turn right and pull.

Tiredness. Some people don't even have the energy, power, ability to raise from their beds. Even ctbing requires too much energy for them.

Being in wheelchair. You can't drive a car, you can't walk. Pretty hard to ctb.

Some areas have a really high population density. It's often much easier to ctb if you live in a town of 500 people than if you live in a place where 20 000 000 people live in mud cups and there are 15 people per family, from grandparents to grandchildren living together.

Fear of death.

They don't want to ctb. It's like many people want to be writers, but few will even try writing in the end. Some people may say they want to die, but would never attempt ctb. They'll wait to die by other means.

"I wanna die, but what of my parents/spouses/friends/siblings/relatives/dogs/cats/rebbits/pets/etc.?"

Some people might work from dawn to dusk and be too tired to attempt a suicide after a 12 work day.

Lots of people will also think "I'm only 25, I want to die, but I will wait till I'm 35 to see if my life will get better, I don't wanna die young."

Then at last, some people die of illnesses before they ctb. A person might think of ctbing this weekend, but die in a car accident or of heart attack tomorrow.

I think that covers most of them.
It's not something that even entered my head until a few months ago… I wonder what the rate is of people who have Seriously contemplated it

Reactions: flametrees
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
It's not something that even entered my head until a few months ago… I wonder what the rate is of people who have Seriously contemplated it
Hmm... I have no idea. There are also some people who do seriously want to ctb and might even try ctbing, but, as an example, it's only once in their life for two weeks when they are 18 and their first bf/gf broke up with them and then they soon after find another person, and get married and live happily ever after and forget they ever wanted to ctb.

But when it comes to the amount of people who have thought about ctbing more than once or twice and for a long time, I really can't say. It might be 100%, it might be 1%.

Fadeawaaaay

Fadeawaaaay

Visionary
Nov 12, 2021
Do you think the suicide rate is low?
If it's the leading cause of death among people under 50 or whatever… That's not particularly low…
Maybe people aren't as miserable as we think they are… The people I'm interacting with do not seem suicidal in the slightest…

Reactions: PeacefulTonic
eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
The suicide rate is actually pretty high. It is the leading cause of death in young people. I think heart disease and cancer eventually surpass suicide by middle age.

Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
How fucking sad is that? It makes me cry to think that there is even one person out there who feels so helpless, so unloved, so lonely that they need to take their own life to stop the pain. And people just don't care. It's so sad.
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN
My american friend has suicided at 41 after she went homeless and totally abandoned. She was too afraid of ctb yet in that moment in the same day felt she had no choice to ctb. It is really awful

• Aww..
Reactions: voltage268 and Suicidebydeath
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I was doing some Google-fu last night to see how many people die each year by suicide. I wasn't exactly doing a deep-dive, but the general answer seemed to be that out of the 8 billion people on this entire planet, approximately 1 million suicides are documented each year globally.

So if I'm doing the math right, there's 1000 millions in a billion, so if you remove 1 million from that number, there are about 999 million "survivors" left. Which is only like…0.1% of the amount of people in that billion who are voluntarily choosing to end their lives.

So that means less than 1/10th of 1% of people globally commit suicide. Why isn't this number higher? With the amount of bad shit that can conceivably go wrong in a person's life…why are so few of them CTB? (Also I apologize for the stupid math, I'm not the best with numbers)
In the U.S. only about 1 in 30 attempts is successful, and people know there can be many bad consequences of a failed attempt.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk
miserableforever

miserableforever

Arcanist
Oct 23, 2020
You're right. I've called the suicide line twice when I had a breakdown. Just to have someone to talk to and maybe to get into therapy. I don't have insurance and my call didn't lead anywhere productive. All the places either require you to have coverage, or you need to be a druggie to receive any sort of funding. Cited resources sounded great but I was not able to get help.
So I break down every other week, it's just what I do. No one is willing to give me meds or listen to my OCD lamenting.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Someone123 and Suicidebydeath
P

PerpetualPain

Nov 26, 2021
I will be classified as a suicide but in truth I was murdered by Big Pharma. Without the harm their medication inflicted on me I would be living a mostly happy and healthy life. I would have rather died any other way.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: WearyWanderer, layne2001 and Someone123
F

falling bird

Dec 2, 2021

Are you disappointed ?