• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

futureme

futureme

Mar 19, 2023
some organisms and cells are known to off themselves or to be offed by their surroundings if they don't serve a purpose in themselves or their environment like in apoptosis.

Last edited:
Reactions: MindFrog, halleyscomet, davidtorez and 3 others
Unicr0n

Unicr0n

Stuck in a black hole...
Mar 26, 2024
Cells do apoptosis if there's something that will harm the greater organism. It doesn't kill itself because it feels unhappy. There is no known animal that will commit suicide knowingly other than humans. That is why suicide isn't natural. Because 99.9999% of all life has not been documented in modern times to commit suicide. Even in humans, less than 0.005% of humans commit suicide.

• Informative
Reactions: davidtorez, sickgirlzis, astonishedturnip and 4 others
bFre3

bFre3

Apr 8, 2024
Because people who haven't been in our position quite literally can't comprehend why someone would throw their lives away. Yet, it's them who end up creating stories and misconceptions about suicide

Reactions: halleyscomet, davidtorez, Joarga and 5 others
4_science

4_science

Apr 12, 2024
Stigmatised on so many levels. Goes back to the middle ages. Religious stigma: It is still considered sin.

Social stigma and the way it is portrayed in the media.

Reactions: davidtorez, myusername890, marchshift and 2 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Because so many humans have this insane, irrational cult like worship of the abomination that is life to the point that they view permanent non-existence which is the fate we are destined for anyway as worse than even the most extreme suffering. It's disgusting how humans wish to do all they can to prolong the meaningless and unnecessary suffering of others even know there are literally no disadvantages to being eternally unaware of this hellish existence.

Reactions: DeathOfKane, davidtorez, 4am and 6 others
futureme

futureme

Mar 19, 2023
Cells do apoptosis if there's something that will harm the greater organism. It doesn't kill itself because it feels unhappy. There is no known animal that will commit suicide knowingly other than humans. That is why suicide isn't natural. Because 99.9999% of all life has not been documented in modern times to commit suicide. Even in humans, less than 0.005% of humans commit suicide.
where did i say anything about happiness?

Reactions: davidtorez
Unicr0n

Unicr0n

Stuck in a black hole...
Mar 26, 2024
where did i say anything about happiness?
People commit suicide because they are suffering, in the simplest terms. Should have used that term instead of unhappy.

Reactions: davidtorez, Hunter2005, marchshift and 2 others
futureme

futureme

Mar 19, 2023
Because so many humans have this insane, irrational cult like worship of the abomination that is life to the point that they view permanent non-existence which is the fate we are destined for anyway as worse than even the most extreme suffering. It's disgusting how humans wish to do all they can to prolong the meaningless and unnecessary suffering of others even know there are literally no disadvantages to being eternally unaware of this hellish existence.
its like saying the billions of cells that die in our body everyday shouldn't because life is so precious
People commit suicide because they are not happy in the simplest terms. One who is happy, enjoying life, does not commit suicide.
happiness comes from living a purposeful fulfilling life the way you need whether you are a plant, or a cell or a human. if it is not achieved it is natural to want a way out that miserable existence with whatever options there are and sometimes death might be the best option. so the thought of suicide will creep up for humans, and cells will kill themselves in their own natural ways. so it is natural for organism or cell to be killed if it doesn't serve a purpose like i said above. don't give me migraines.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeathOfKane, davidtorez, sserafim and 2 others
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
To many people believe it's up to "God" when you die 🙄

• Hmph!
Reactions: davidtorez, sickgirlzis, 4am and 6 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022

Interestingly, some animals have apparently killed themselves in captivity. Tarsiers and dolphins have been known to smash their heads against their enclosures. I guess it could be argued that this was a stress response rather than a deliberate attempt at suicide. Still- I think it's an interesting parallel. I don't think many humans live 'natural' lives either. In many ways, we are in captivity I would say.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: DeathOfKane, davidtorez, sickgirlzis and 4 others
Unicr0n

Unicr0n

Stuck in a black hole...
Mar 26, 2024
Interestingly, some animals have apparently killed themselves in captivity. Tarsiers and dolphins have been known to smash their heads against their enclosures. I guess it could be argued that this was a stress response rather than a deliberate attempt at suicide. Still- I think it's an interesting parallel. I don't think many humans live 'natural' lives either. In many ways, we are in captivity I would say.
Tarsiers are doing it in an attempt to escape the flashes and the cage, not because it actually intends suicide. Their skulls are thin and fragile. They don't know this when they're attempting to escape.

As for the dolphin, they had been giving the dolphin drugs. When they took the drugs away, it could no longer function normally and it died as a result. Killer whales are more intelligent than dolphins [they can learn the language of other species too]. They don't attempt suicide when they're taken away from their pods or their babies are taken away from them. They cry for months to years but they don't commit suicide. That dolphin was just effed up from the drugs.

happiness comes from living a purposeful fulfilling life the way you need whether you are a plant, or a cell or a human. if it is not achieved it is natural to want a way out that miserable existence with whatever options there are and sometimes death might be the best option. so the thought of suicide will creep up for humans, and cells will kill themselves in their own natural ways. so it is natural for organism or cell to be killed if it doesn't serve a purpose like i said above. don't give me migraines.
No. A cell will apoptosis if it's detecting errors in itself via the cell check cycle and other factors. It doesn't have neurons nor neuronal capacity; they are not sapient. A cell that is created always has a purpose and serves its function as such until it detects errors that will harm the organism it's in. Not errors that will harm itself. don't spread misinformation like this.
The only exception is cancer cells, which don't serve a healthy purpose but because cell check is damaged it can't realise it should apoptosis.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: davidtorez, Forever Sleep, LunarLight and 1 other person
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
W
We are cooped up in boxes all day either at home or work

Reactions: davidtorez and Forever Sleep
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Same reason why accidents and homicide aren't. Natural death refers to death brought about by pathologies that the body develops on its own without conscious intervention from the external world.

Reactions: davidtorez, Deleted member 65988, Ash and 1 other person
H

Hunter2005

Experienced
Apr 15, 2023
I guess because of survival instinct but It's not, the way I see it is being liberated. This world ain't made for some people and they can't understand that

Reactions: davidtorez
O

Orange Cat

Student
Oct 19, 2023
Suicide is an unnatural death. A natural death is dying from old age or illness. Suicide isn't a normal death. You have to go against your survival instinct which is one of your strongest instincts in order to go through with it.

Reactions: davidtorez, 3/4Dead, willitpass and 2 others
PhoenixPX

PhoenixPX

Apr 9, 2024
Because there is human involvement.

Reactions: davidtorez and 3/4Dead
AshersGirl

AshersGirl

Girl, Interrupted
Apr 29, 2022
So….

Advancements in medical science means we are kept alive much longer than our ancestors.

Our ancestors died a "natural" death. I don't think the majority of people these days die a natural death - older we get the more likely we are to be on multiple different meds, losing our faculties, immobile or our brains deteriorating relying on people to look after us, yet, the medics key focus is still "extend their life".

Fair enough for those who want their life extended. But I don't think a life dependent on daily meds, devices implanted in our hearts, etc, is a "natural" life, it's a… uhm… scientifically subsidised one?

Reactions: DeathOfKane and davidtorez
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Not enough writhing in pain.

Reactions: rozeske
exiled

exiled

i gave so many signs
Jun 17, 2023
If nature is defined as "existing in or caused by nature; not caused by human kind" then suicide contradicts that notion. We have to go against nature by exerting human effort to end our life as opposed to allowing our bodies to run their courses and cease to function when natural factors cause it to do so.

Reactions: rozeske and Ash
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
Because by definition anything that expedites the dying process by external forces is not a natural death. It has nothing to do with being pro-life or not, it has to do with the legal/medical definition of a natural death. That all there is to it.

Reactions: 3/4Dead and Ash
futureme

futureme

Mar 19, 2023
Because by definition anything that expedites the dying process by external forces is not a natural death. It has nothing to do with being pro-life or not, it has to do with the legal/medical definition of a natural death. That all there is to it.
what if depression kills you from the inside and leads you to a point where you have to pop yourself..that is not natural even if depression is a disease like any other?

willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
what if depression kills you from the inside and leads you to a point where you have to pop yourself..that is not natural even if depression is a disease like any other?
The depression itself did not kill you. You have that illness yes, but at the end of the day you went through external actions to induce death where it otherwise would not have occurred. It's simply a legal technicality, it's not that deep.

Reactions: 3/4Dead and Ash
Aphex Triplet

Aphex Triplet

Ozymandias
Apr 15, 2024
Penguins do walk away from the group to starve to death.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifeaffirmingchoice
Ash

Ash

What dreams may come?
Oct 4, 2021
That's not how biology works. You might feel dead inside but your body is alive and well and will remain so until disease or old age (natural) bring things to an end. We're talking physiology, not philosophy.

Reactions: rozeske and willitpass
Unicr0n

Unicr0n

Stuck in a black hole...
Mar 26, 2024
Penguins do walk away from the group to starve to death.

Disorientation is not suicide. That's not a suicidal penguin. That is a penguin with a faulty brain. The penguin shows no reaction whatsoever to the humans, which demonstrates something truly wrong with the penguin... Sort of like with rabies. It alters how the animal reacts toward non-same species.

There's nothing that actually shows these penguins dying, either. Sounds like dramaticization tbh. People are calling these penguins 'depressed' but that is far from the truth in what we see of 'depression' in multiple animal models. That movie is the only instance of a penguin being shown to do that. No other mentions of this exist in penguin literature.

DeathOfKane

DeathOfKane

Apr 5, 2024
So….

Advancements in medical science means we are kept alive much longer than our ancestors.

Our ancestors died a "natural" death. I don't think the majority of people these days die a natural death - older we get the more likely we are to be on multiple different meds, losing our faculties, immobile or our brains deteriorating relying on people to look after us, yet, the medics key focus is still "extend their life".

Fair enough for those who want their life extended. But I don't think a life dependent on daily meds, devices implanted in our hearts, etc, is a "natural" life, it's a… uhm… scientifically subsidised one?
Exactly it's like life support. If you need a machine to keep you going there's nothing natural about it.