• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
It seems everyone's just acting. Why can't people be genuine?

Reactions: betteroffdead, ThisIsTheEnd, Dead_Inside and 5 others
K

KCN

El revisionismo en castillano
Jul 16, 2018
Because it would make them feel judged; it's also worthy considering that most people don't know themselves at all, so it would be quite difficult for them to be openly honest

Reactions: Sayo, alwaystired96, BlackDragonof1989 and 4 others
Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
Because it would make them feel judged; it's also worthy considering that most people don't know themselves at all, so it would be quite difficult for them to be openly honest
How can they not know themselves?

Reactions: Deepneverending and BlackDragonof1989
T

Tiburcio

Society is a play in theater. Good thing don't participate in it anylonger.

Reactions: Throwawaysoul, betteroffdead, Deepneverending and 8 others
K

KCN

El revisionismo en castillano
Jul 16, 2018
How can they not know themselves?

all I can see is people questioning who they are, what they want to do with their life, existential crisis, younger and older people hating on each other because they seem to despise things they barely know something about...

Reactions: alwaystired96, BlackDragonof1989, skitliv and 6 others
Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
Society is a play in theater. Good thing don't participate in it anylonger.
It really is a play. I've never played the role I was given. No wonder I'm an outsider

Reactions: alwaystired96, Deleted_9cKnXB34QG, BlackDragonof1989 and 3 others
BxK

BxK

Aug 20, 2018
People believe in versions of people that don't exist. Placing expectation and ideals on a person, said person knows this and so play that role constantly, it can go both ways as well.
Knowing that if they break the role or expectation, the 'bond' they worked so hard for will shatter. So people pretend, so they aren't alone or shunned. Just my opinion anyways, it's probably wrong like a lot I say.

Not to say true bonds don't exist, I've never had one, but people really do remain genuine friends beyond the pretending.
Must be nice.

Reactions: lv-gras, alwaystired96, Volatile and 3 others
FairyAlys

FairyAlys

Aug 7, 2018
It's also protection or it is with me; guarding against other people.

Reactions: lv-gras, alwaystired96, BlackDragonof1989 and 2 others
BlackDragonof1989

BlackDragonof1989

Mage
Jul 12, 2018
For me it's partly due to how I was raised in a dysfunctional family where alcoholism was always coddled and denied, and appearances to the outside were important. However, I also realized that sometimes people do indeed like a person best if they become what they think is expected of them, in order to be best liked by someone. Also, sometimes it just avoids potential conflict, but many times if I am in a snappy or down mood, I sense others can sense it and some of them seem to try to push and provoke me for some reason. It's complex but simple I suppose.

Reactions: alwaystired96 and Tiburcio
mattwitt

mattwitt

# 978
Jun 28, 2018
Because people are fake ! If you look up the definition for the word "hypocrite" one of it's definitions is "actor" and that's what human beings are "actors"

Reactions: Anarchy, alwaystired96, Tiburcio and 1 other person
A

alwaystired96

Aug 24, 2018
I can relate to this so much. I don't even feel a connection with my own mother. When she talks to me on the phone she sounds so fake and like she doesn't even want to talk to me. Like she's trying to hide disappointment. But when she talks to my husband she calls me an unstable alcoholic druggy. She doesn't approve of our relationship because he's 40 and I'm 22 so she would talk shit about me in hopes he wouldn't want me.

Reactions: Anarchy and Tiburcio
D

Deleted member 847

To protect our egos from anxiety, shame and fear. We adopt the status quo of the society we live in to be accepted by the group. If life was more like a video game for instance, and you couldn't be hurt emotionally or physically, you would automatically act more genuine because there is no threat. If you're ostracized or disliked you can always create another character, but in real life you can't, and you don't want to ruin your reputation or be seen by others as awkward or someone who doesn't fit in. Give a man a mask and he will show you his true self. Many of the things I say here I wouldn't say in society because of the expectations others have for me that manipulate my psyche and inhibit me.
lizardbrain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 1496, Tiburcio and Sayo
Dead_Inside

Dead_Inside

Wizard
Jul 2, 2018
It seems everyone's just acting. Why can't people be genuine?
.... I want to give some excellent philosophical answer..... here is what I get from my friend:
... Me: " I fucking wish I had just used a gun last time. Then I would be dead now. I fucked up ..."
Friend: " what's your schedule like next week?"
Me: " hate this life. Hope it ends soon. This sucks."
Friend: "Would you like to text me tomorrow when you have a better idea when you might be free?"
..... my best bet is that they don't want complications in their special life. So they just ignore or fake their way through life ....

Reactions: Tiburcio and lv-gras
I

ion900

Student
May 4, 2018
Because we live in a simulation and people only really feel natural around people they have spent a lot of time with.

Reactions: Soon4me, Deleted_9cKnXB34QG and lv-gras