Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
The entertainment industry is failing. Why are they injecting shit politics into everything? This is a big part of why anime is so popular.

• Aww..
Reactions: GentleJerk
Joey

Joey

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2020
Gotta milk everything for that profit đź’°

Reactions: peacefulpassing, Al_stargate and Weebster
Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
Reactions: RagingCat, whatevs and DynamicDepression
Joey

Joey

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2020
dragon ball z GIF by Smasher Network

• Yay!
Reactions: RagingCat and Weebster
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Because people are still willing to pay money to see them.

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
Because people are still willing to pay money to see them.
Only because there's nothing else to watch

They could create a film that consisted of kaleidoscopic images accompanied by trippy music and make a lot of money if there was nothing else to watch.

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Yeah it always seems like there's either some hot-button issue being worked into things, or else it's so utterly, mind-numbingly boring and just super low quality. I don't feel like being constantly challenged on my beliefs (I'm indifferent to just about everything) but nor do I want to be spoon fed forgettable garbage.

I mostly like Indie or foreign stuff these days tbh.

• Aww..
Reactions: Al_stargate, GentleJerk and Weebster
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Because the average consumer has hilariously bad tastes and it's not just movies. Books, video games, television, and every other form of media: 99% of it is pure shit, yet people will rave about it and praise something objectively bad (the MCU, for example) to high heavens.

Only because there's nothing else to watch
That's not to say there aren't still good pieces of media around. They're just drowning in a sea of generic content where mediocrity is seen as a high point.

Reactions: NSA, Un-, Fragile and 2 others
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Last time I was at the movie theaters, I watched Thor 2. I might go see Dr. Strange when it comes out.

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
I mostly like Indie or foreign stuff these days tbh.
Even most foreign media is really bad.
Source: I am foreign.

Last time I was at the movie theaters, I watched Thor 2. I might go see Dr. Strange when it comes out.
I'd just wait and pirate it instead. No reason to give the Mouse™ money for monopolizing the entertainment industry.

Reactions: GentleJerk and Angst Filled Fuck Up
J

jandek

Down in a Mirror
Feb 19, 2022
The biggest reason imo is the desire to appeal to the broadest number of people, i.e. the lowest common denominator. The global market for movies has increased dramatically in the last couple of decades with the rise of the middle class in developing countries, such as China. Sophisticated art that requires a lot of cultural literacy and context to understand is simply not going to sell on an international scale. Political correctness is just the cherry on a shit sundae.

Also, has anyone noticed how bad movie trailers are today? They're so LONG, badly paced, and seem to give the entire movie away. It's really bizarre to me and I don't understand why this is.

Reactions: Al_stargate, transientflesh127, Sakura94 and 2 others
Krieger

Krieger

yeah
Apr 16, 2022
Good movies don't make money anymore.

• Aww..
Reactions: Fragile and Weebster
S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
I recall reading most marvel movies are planned entirely on a computer before they are filmed. So that might be why. No chance of anything human seeping in or interesting discoveries along the way.
The further you get away from gritty humanity and towards stable boring by the numbers production the less interesting something is.

This is true for anything. You get excited more for something home cooked than processed food from a factory. The old adventure movies are better.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Me reading this thread while fully enjoying the Marvel movies:

That said I actually think that Marvel is so successful because they're for the most part among the few Hollywood movies released in the past decade left that are consistently decent, at least for the most part and when compared to what else is releasing. Other movie franchises trying to recapture lightning in a bottle like they have probably aren't helping things though.

Reactions: transientflesh127
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
The entertainment industry is failing. Why are they injecting shit politics into everything? This is a big part of why anime is so popular.

Hollywood has probably realized that people are becoming increasingly tired of their crap, so they are relying on nostalgia - just look at the all live-action Disney remakes, for example.

Also, they are trying to appease a new audience - meaning the progressive "woke" audience - so they include sentiments that attract that kind of audience more than the stereotypical viewers.

Reactions: Weebster
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

đź‘»
Nov 5, 2020
Why put effort into something new that might flop when you can release the same thing a thousand times and make money? Normally you'd expect law of diminishing returns but since all but 2 of the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time have came out in the last decade and are linked to some kind of bigger property as opposed to being original, that clearly doesn't apply currently.

Reactions: Weebster
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Hollywood is churning out crap these days because that's what it's always done.:devil: I don't give a shit because plenty of good films have been made so far. Some of them were even American.

Oui, I'm a snob.

france kiss GIF by Robert E Blackmon
Toronto International Film Festival Greta GIF by TIFF

isabelle%2Bhuppert%252C%2Belle.PNG

Reactions: MellowAvenue