TheSource

TheSource

From the Divine we came, to the Divine we return.
Sep 25, 2023
It seems that more people who die from an overdose do it accidentally. Whereas it's harder to die from OD on purpose and rarely successful, despite intentionally taking more than the body should be able to handle. Why do you guys think that is?

Reactions: Meditation guide
avaruus

avaruus

loser · gone very soon
Aug 17, 2022
It's because a large portion of the people who accidentally OD, actually just drown in their own vomit while unconscious.
That's usually not the goal when people are intentional, many actually take anti-emetics to prevent it and many might vomit prematurely from anxiety because they know that they are going to die.

• Wow
Reactions: Meditation guide, bluebus and TheSource
B

bluebus

meet me at the back of the blue bus
Aug 5, 2023
People that od intentionally are usually doing it impulsively and without the actual intention of dying-- it's really more of a cry for help/ an act of desperation. They swallow a bunch of aspirin, or benadryl, or any pills they can find in their house. That's why it has such a low success rate in the context of suicide.
Most accidental ods are from opioids. Or a combination of opioids, alcohol, and benzos, but opioids are the main culprit. It's not very hard to od on opioids, especially if you are mixing them with other things. As opposed to otc medications which are almost impossible to die from.

Reactions: hi-okbye and TheSource
TheSource

TheSource

Sep 25, 2023
It's because a large portion of the people who accidentally OD, actually just drown in their own vomit while unconscious.
That's usually not the goal when people are intentional, many actually take anti-emetics to prevent it and many might vomit prematurely from anxiety because they know that they are going to die.
Interesting. With my plan to OD, I view asphyxiating on my vomit as a potential saving grace. I wanted to lie on my back and fall asleep to increase the chance of it blocking my breathing, along with the respiratory depression from the downers.

Why do you think suicidal people try to avoid vomiting rather than using it to their advantage?

Reactions: hi-okbye
avaruus

avaruus

loser · gone very soon
Aug 17, 2022
Why do you think suicidal people try to avoid vomiting rather than using it to their advantage?
To be honest, i've been wondering that for a while.
I guess it's kinda like some people don't want to make a mess when they die, like some people don't want to die by guns, because they want to look pretty when they die, or something.
Or maybe they somehow think that they are still conscious when that's happening, which i understand would be scary.

Reactions: TheSource
TheSource

TheSource

Sep 25, 2023
People that od intentionally are usually doing it impulsively and without the actual intention of dying-- it's really more of a cry for help/ an act of desperation. They swallow a bunch of aspirin, or benadryl, or any pills they can find in their house. That's why it has such a low success rate in the context of suicide.
Most accidental ods are from opioids. Or a combination of opioids, alcohol, and benzos, but opioids are the main culprit. It's not very hard to od on opioids, especially if you are mixing them with other things. As opposed to otc medications which are almost impossible to die from.
So intentional ODs are usually more successful when they're more thought out due to using the correct method. But most intentional ODs are impulsive, yeah?

Just making sure I'm catching what you're throwing.

B

bluebus

Aug 5, 2023
So intentional ODs are usually more successful when they're more thought out due to using the correct method. But most intentional ODs are impulsive, yeah?

Just making sure I'm catching what you're throwing.
If you look at the literature, most people that intentionally od are doing it impulsively or without much knowledge, yes. The use drugs they use have almost no likelihood of actually killing them. That's why this method only has about a 5%-10% success rate. The people that do manage to succeed are planning it out and using drugs that actually have the potential to kill them.
To be honest, i've been wondering that for a while.
I guess it's kinda like some people don't want to make a mess when they die, like some people don't want to die by guns, because they want to look pretty when they die, or something.
Or maybe they somehow think that they are still conscious when that's happening, which i understand would be scary.
I think you're right. For the majority of people, choking to death just doesn't seem like an appealing way to go. Even though by that point you're unconscious, it still might sound a little gruesome some.
I almost when with a shotgun for my method, but I decided against it when I realized I'd be blowing my face off essentially. It's not about what I look like for myself, ( I could care less I'll be dead) but it's not fair to my parents to have to see me like that.
And totally random but I see you all over the place now and I've been meaning to tell you I love your pfp. It makes me laugh a little ever time I see it.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: avaruus and TheSource
avaruus

avaruus

loser · gone very soon
Aug 17, 2022
If you look at the literature, most people that intentionally od are doing it impulsively or without much knowledge, yes. The use drugs they use have almost no likelihood of actually killing them. That's why this method only has about a 5%-10% success rate. The people that do manage to succeed are planning it out and using drugs that actually have the potential to kill them.

I think you're right. For the majority of people, choking to death just doesn't seem like an appealing way to go. Even though by that point you're unconscious, it still might sound a little gruesome some.
I almost when with a shotgun for my method, but I decided against it when I realized I'd be blowing my face off essentially. It's not about what I look like for myself, ( I could care less I'll be dead) but it's not fair to my parents to have to see me like that.
And totally random but I see you all over the place now and I've been meaning to tell you I love your pfp. It makes me laugh a little ever time I see it.
Thank you, i've been surfing this forum much more actively since the last week.
When i made this account, i was just looking for a method for myself and ignored everything else.
But suddenly, when i became really really suicidal a couple weeks ago and returned here, i somehow noticed everyone else for the first time, and it made me really upset.
It makes me really sad that there is so much suffering in this world. So i try my best to give my 2 cents, or atleast respond something to them.
Many posts here for some reason never get an answer.

• Love
Reactions: Teleftaía Anapnoí, lita-lassi and bluebus
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Interesting. With my plan to OD, I view asphyxiating on my vomit as a potential saving grace. I wanted to lie on my back and fall asleep to increase the chance of it blocking my breathing, along with the respiratory depression from the downers.

If they're taking something orally, they need to keep enough of the substance down to absorb it.

Reactions: bluebus
B

bluebus

Aug 5, 2023
Thank you, i've been surfing this forum much more actively since the last week.
When i made this account, i was just looking for a method for myself and ignored everything else.
But suddenly, when i became really really suicidal a couple weeks ago and returned here, i somehow noticed everyone else for the first time, and it made me really upset.
It makes me really sad that there is so much suffering in this world. So i try my best to give my 2 cents, or atleast respond something to them.
Many posts here for some reason never get an answer.
I made my account for the same reason-- I wanted to find a method, that's it. But then after a few days I found myself reacting to posts and talking to people through the chat. I feel the same, it really upsets me to see how many people are suffering and are in this position. I really wish I could take away everyone's pain.
I can say that your replies are always very helpful and informative, keep up the good work!

• Love
Reactions: Teleftaía Anapnoí and avaruus