arnoldpalmer

arnoldpalmer

Confused
Jun 24, 2024
One of the main issues I've always struggled with is being a people pleaser and putting so much of myself in how I feel other people perceive me. It's caused a lot of social anxiety and frustration, especially when it's a situation where I know I shouldn't care but can't help it. And it definitely doesn't help that my default is feeling like everyone secretly hates me and finds me annoying or boring or forgettable.
I have two friends who are outwardly very comfortable in their own skins and not terribly concerned about pleasing others and I asked them once how to stop caring so much about what other people think of me. They both agreed the main thing is that you have to like yourself first, which I guess sounds obvious and is easier said than done. But it's so hard to like myself. There are certain times when I am able to see good things in me, but the majority of the time I hate myself so much. I feel so much shame and I really don't think I can ever get to a place where I am comfortable with myself.

• Hugs
Reactions: fadedroses
MarsProxy

MarsProxy

Nov 27, 2023
I'm still struggling with some similar feelings as well. It's probably only gotten easier for me with medication and realizing that I shouldn't give a fuck what strangers think of me any more. If I'm going to exist in this realm I want to be myself and not what some other assholes want me to be.