never

never

Apr 21, 2024
For me it's because it seems like I'm just a number and they really don't care at the end of the day. Maybe in the past they did care, but now they don't and since they have access to 911, they can just stop you and they can just move on to the next one and not bat an eye. It's truly amazing how the system fails you even when something seems like it'll help. If it's too good to be true, it probably is, and these people will always choose to call people and have them take you away. The system failed me, and it'll probably fail you. So why don't you trust them. Or if you had a different experience, let me know.

Reactions: ctb2soble and Forever Sleep
iloveeetreeeess1

iloveeetreeeess1

Sep 18, 2023
When I was 12 I tried to hang myself, the rope broke and I was convulsing the on the floor, and I couldn't see anything. When I finally came to I called the suicide hotline as I was always told to do. The man told me almost instantly they were sending police to my house because I attempted unless I got an adult on the phone.

abchia

abchia

Student
Aug 28, 2023
They will do their job and try to make things better but at the end of the day, you don't mean anything to them, they don't know you. They don't care enough to try to understand what you're going through, the default is just to lock you up somewhere.

Reactions: Eternal Eyes, ctb2soble, LifeQuitter and 2 others
sinivihrea

sinivihrea

bird is bored of flying
Sep 17, 2024
tried twice, both times just got the busy signal lmao. i have the (supposedly) queer-friendly one in my contacts, but doubt if i'll ever use it. plus i'll go nonverbal if i'm really upset, so i think the whole thing isn't quite for me.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I wish they were better for people who do want to reach out for help. But- if I truly want to kill myself- why would I consider ringing an organisation who's primary goal is to stop people killing themselves?

Like I say, I wish they were either less heavy handed, setting the police on people if they sniff a plan. Or, alternatively, I've also heard that if you don't have a plan, they lose interest.

I doubt I would ring one through choice because I'm not looking to 'recover'. The time I was put in touch with one following the IC SN welfare checks was awful too. Worse than the actual welfare check itself!

Reactions: NoPoint2Life and ijustwishtodie
PuppyCatTeeth

PuppyCatTeeth

May 6, 2024
I don't want to go to a psych ward, and if I'm going through with it why would I tell someone my plan.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
They're useless and are just pro life morons. I'm not interested in pro life bullshit and in having a conversation with somebody who is so deluded to where they can't acknowledge reality for what it is. Even some people on here have said that pro lifers do understand life for what it is but that assertion is just so ludicrous since they can't even acknowledge their own mortality, nevermind reality itself!

never

never

Apr 21, 2024
When I was 12 I tried to hang myself, the rope broke and I was convulsing the on the floor, and I couldn't see anything. When I finally came to I called the suicide hotline as I was always told to do. The man told me almost instantly they were sending police to my house because I attempted unless I got an adult on the phone.
Fuck, that's terrible. I can't believe the threatened you like that. You were twelve

Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
It was maybe a well-intentioned project, but the fact of the matter is that you can't outsource tasks that require personal attachment to a formalized institution. These tasks can only be performed by a trusted, known person. Otherwise it becomes a service, and once it becomes a service, it becomes subject to all sorts of external pressures, like the threat of being sued.

I think it all goes back to the movement to equate physical illness and mental illness/therapy culture in general (which is exhibit A of outsourcing a job that in any healthy society would be done by people who know you). If someone is having a physical crisis, it makes total sense to call a professional service. It makes total sense for there to be accountability measures and rigid procedures in place. So if you then say, well mental illness is just like physical illness, then it would follow that all those same things should apply to a mental crisis, when in reality, such crises require a very different kind of help.

• Informative
Reactions: derpyderpins
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
1. They are useless and a waste of time
^You think I want this shit knocking at my door?

• Yay!
Reactions: LifeQuitter, mango-meridian and Alexei_Kirillov
yellowjester

yellowjester

Anguish
Jun 2, 2024
Because they are not trained to help people like me, I'm not commiting suicide for mental health reasons. The advice they would give would be offesnive to me. If I ever need a final push I might call one lol.
1. They are useless and a waste of time
View attachment 152672
^You think I want this shit knocking at my door?
I don't think they can trace your number, or can they?

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
I don't think they can trace your number, or can they?
There have actually been quite a few cases of people talking about how they've had the police called on them as a result of using those hotline, resulting in them being traumatized.

Our goal is to make sure everyone who reaches out to us stays safe. We will only call emergency services if you are at risk of dying or seriously harming yourself — if you are expressing a strong desire to take your own life, you tell us you are in the process of ending your life, or tell us that you may do so in the very near future.

• Aww..
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
I have called before, long time ago. The issue is that when you are suicidal their interests are opposed to yours. You feel trapped and you are considering your options, one of which is to ctb. They have exactly one goal, and it's not to make you feel better or solve the issues you are facing or make life more manageable, it is to make sure to remove that one option by any means necessary, possibly by force.

• Informative
Reactions: LifeQuitter and Alexei_Kirillov
Innereye

Innereye

Know thy self
Jan 18, 2020
Loaded question lol but not wrong

Mainly because they're working backwards from a presupposed goal irregardless of the situation. So it feels wooden, not really customized to the individual.

Still has some utility to it but overall pretty surface level.

Reactions: derpyderpins and Alexei_Kirillov
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
Yeah, but they can't just pull your information out of the void. If you tell them your name and adress, you're kinda asking for it.
Except, in a lot of cases people don't actually provide that information. What these hotline do is that they will share things, such as your phone number or your IP address, with 911 operators who will then use that information to try and track down your location. If the crisis hotline helper is unable to provide any information that may indicate the person's whereabouts, then they may ask the police to try and initate a geolocation lookup instead.

You can also find testimonials from people who have openly talked about having the police called on them despite not having provided any information on their location.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LifeQuitter and yellowjester