• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

M

m_h_d

Mar 9, 2024
Attempts to unify Europe as a country have failed - the EU is indeed the best compromise. Politically Europe is moving to the right - we are seeing more nationalist / populist groups gaining support: they might form alliances for mutual benefit but they are antithetical to the idea of a European nation state.

Ferdinand Bardamu

Ferdinand Bardamu

DO YOU WANT TOTAL WAR?
Feb 22, 2024
People have tried. I mean Mosley had the "Europe, a nation" policy. I doubt it'll work without a LOT of de-centralization and local autonomy though. Shame cuz Europe as one nation would be the strongest country ever, and it would fufill the Wignat dream (if u deport the browns)

• Informative
Reactions: m_h_d and sserafim
K

KafkaF

Taking a break from the website.
Nov 18, 2023
It should. That's why I'm a Eurofederalist.

The different languages don't matter when more and more we all speak English anyway. Not to mention have translation software. Not to mention that the problem is overstated to begin with. People with different languages can live just fine in the same country, especially when it's divided geographically and you have local control over things to which they are relevant like education.

Despite the rise in the far right they are still a minority basically everwhere and pro-EU sentiment is strong almost across the board.

On a political level the incentives are also there. Plus, we have common enemies and an America pulling back.

The cultural differences are severely overstated. We still mostly believe in the same basics and I bet I have more in common with a left-winger from a different EU country than a right-winger of my own as far as values go. Yet we live in tje same country. Not to mention cultural differences only really matter for unification when they have a political dimension and not all do (like food preferences) and over time many that do, like gay rights, will shift to come together anyway.

Many people talk about these "differences" but I have yet to see a single person list them and explain how they prevent unification or are greater than the differences that already exist within European countries or overshadow the similarities.

We have a lot more in common than what divides us. Especially geopolitically, but also in basic values, mutual support and interdependence.

Not to mention geopolitically europe either unites or becomes an irrelevant backwater.

I'll end on this cuz I'm in bed and falling asleep: A united Europe is not found. You don't just look at what is and determine whether it can be jammed together. A united Europe is built. With effort, compromise and intelligence. And it can be built for the benefit of all Europeans.

Last edited:
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
We are all too different and we have too much cultural/historical individuality and too much individual national pride for that. Its going just a little bit too far.
However the European Union is the closest thing to that happening with its shared currency , free trade , many of the same laws and the E.U parliament/H.Q based in Brussels. Overall it probably has more positives than negatives.
But like all democracies and parliaments there are continuous disagreements and squabbling amongst politicians , E.U member states and differing views amongst their national electorates.
E.U is far from perfect but just about works.
(The U.K was a E.U member state for a long time but actually left the E.U altogether after holding a national referendum on whether to stay in or leave back in 2016)

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
We are all too different and we have too much cultural/historical individuality and too much individual national pride for that. Its going just a little bit too far.
However the European Union is the closest thing to that happening with its shared currency , free trade , many of the same laws and the E.U parliament/H.Q based in Brussels. Overall it probably has more positives than negatives.
But like all democracies and parliaments there are continuous disagreements and squabbling amongst politicians , E.U member states and differing views amongst their national electorates.
E.U is far from perfect but just about works.
(The U.K was a E.U member state for a long time but actually left the E.U altogether after holding a national referendum on whether to stay in or leave back in 2016)
Tbt to Brexit. Do you think it was a good or bad thing for the UK?

G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
I was undecided to the last minute. I found it very hard to reach a decision because I could understand the arguments both for staying in and also for leaving. I agreed with some of the points both sides made.
The vote was very close (52% to 48%) so it split opinion and probably wasn't an easy choice for most people to make as there were Pro's and Cons to both staying and leaving. I think U.K government who had the referendum , and wanted a 'Remain in E.U' vote , were unpleasantly surprised at the result. As was the other watching E.U member states.
When it came to it I actually voted 'Remain'. I think on balance UK would have been better off staying in.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
When it came to it I actually voted 'Remain'. I think on balance UK would have been better off staying in.
This is just my take as an outsider: the world was at that time new to the phenomenon of bots and organised online disinformation campaigns for the purpose of swaying public opinion. The result may have been very different were it not for bad actors.

leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
Too many different languages, national identities and interests.
Even current countries might break apart in the future. Like Catalonia or Scotland.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
Tell me you're American without telling me you're American :) (no offence).

Many different cultures, and a turbulent history between the countries.
For example: There was still Yugoslavia at the end of the 20th century. It was a country that brought together several cultures in the Balkans (in a sense). It ended in a bloody mess. Of course, this was a bit more complicated, but for simplicity's sake I gave this example.

The unification of Europe cannot currently be achieved. Different interests do not allow this. I personally don't mind it, but I know it's damn complicated.
The European Union is currently the best compromise

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Like others have said - Due to the diversity and sovereignty of its constituent nations. It has a wide array of cultures, languages, histories, and political systems. Each European country has its own unique identity, governance structure, and national interests. Additionally, geopolitical considerations, such as differing strategic alliances and historical rivalries, further complicate it. The EU is an economic union but many nations are not as economically developed as each other. It's similar to states in the US but to an extreme. Look at Greece vs Germany, for example.

I think the concept of the European Federation in Tom Clancy's End War was interesting. It's an evolution of the EU with fewer member states and they consolidate political, military and economic power but still functions more as a federation rather than a true country.
From the Wiki, "…in the face of the world energy crisis and accelerating security and environmental concerns around the globe. Though it was publicized as an evolution of the European Union, demanding admission criteria disenfranchised all but the wealthiest nations of Europe. The UK and Ireland declined membership (instead joining the New Commonwealth), as did Switzerland (fiercely neutral as always)."

• Informative
WoNkEy_DoNkEy

WoNkEy_DoNkEy

As Useful As A Chocolate Teapot 🫖
Apr 6, 2024
@sserafim basically what you're saying is why isn't it there a united States of Europe? Well thank god for Brexit I don't have to worry about that. Bear in mind that Europe has around 850 million people so it would be nearly X3 times the size the population of the united states. Ultimately though as other users have said we too many differences to ever be one country. Hell in the USA you don't even have the same laws between states and that's created plenty of unease in the past.

• Informative
Mäximum

Mäximum

All the effort for nothing...
Apr 5, 2023
I am not really into politics, but I do understand how the EU works and I don't know why the UK left to be honest. In my view, there are only downsides if a country leaves the EU.

• Informative
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
The question is why? Having different countries is good, if you don't like one, you can move. Also, there is a ton of culture, individuality and history. Europeans are not all the same. Your question sounds very American lol

Someone mentioned how they should be united given everyone is speaking English anyway and to that I say:

Não obrigada, Inglês não é o centro do mundo. Vai comer um pastel de nata 😊

• Informative
sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
The question is why? Having different countries is good, if you don't like one, you can move. Also, there is a ton of culture, individuality and history. Europeans are not all the same. Your question sounds very American lol

Someone mentioned how they should be united given everyone is speaking English anyway and to that I say:

Não obrigada, Inglês não é o centro do mundo. Vai comer um pastel de nata 😊
Isn't there strength in numbers? And it's advantageous to have a larger landmass. Many countries' policies were based on increasing their living space and getting more land. They were expansionist. In an alternate universe, Europe could be like a super country

ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
Isn't there strength in numbers? And it's advantageous to have a larger landmass. Many countries' policies were based on increasing their living space and getting more land. They were expansionist
Quality over quantity

• Informative