N

noname223

Archangel
Aug 18, 2020
And which implications should this have for our behavior on Sanctioned Suicide?

Recently, some people might have heard of it I was in a clnic for acute suicidal people. It helped me to calm down at the same time it was a hell hole. I am at home again and I feel so much better. I was there for one week and another patient committed suicide. I read a very fascinating eassay of the highest doctor of the clinic how to deal with a suicide of a patient. I wish I could translate and post it here but I would doxx myself where I was.

He wrote that one important thing to do is when a patient commits suicide in a clnic is to protect the other patients. Because suicide is contagious. I was allowed to leave the clinic after one week because I said the suicide burdened myself too much which was the truth. What would have happened if domino suicides happened.

I am glad my roommate did not go through with it. He attempted though (in a harmless way). The roommate of the woman who committed suicide looked pretty pretty suicidal when I left the clinic.

When I was acute suicidal I thought of people who ctb on here who tried to help me. At the same time I always tried to remain a certain distant to them back then. I think none of them would have wanted to see me ctb because they knew I don't really like that as my personal end. I always tried to prevent it with my full will.

I could imagine following thoughts could make suicide contagious:

If they could do it I can do it too.
I want to see the person on the other side.
A simple melancholia because you feel a connection to the other person

What do you think?

Reactions: Sunü (素女) and Forever Sleep
Leiot

Leiot

Student
Oct 2, 2024
Interesting idea. I would think that those of us who have suicidal thoughts are already there but someone else doing it could be a trigger for us.

Of your ideas of why, I think the first one is the most likely. In an institutional setting like you described I don't know if I'd have a deep connection to anyone else there.

What does everyone else think?

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think the answer in a way is in the title of the forum- knowing that other people have gone ahead with suicide. Especially people we may feel a connection to, (even though we actually don't but,) celebrities for example- it maybe further 'sanctions' it in our minds as a reasonable thing to do.

But- I don't believe it's contagious in the way a virus is (obviously.) The people in that clinic were suicidal to begin with. High risk- probably very high risk to begin with. It's not like one patient killed themselves then, 50% of the people who came into contact with her- including doctors, catering staff, cleaners, anyone she talked to- also decided to do it. I don't imagine many people commit suicide unless they really want to in the first place but- knowing others have done it successfully may give us more confidence- like you suggested.

I think that's another reason why the powers that be try to prevent suicide. Try to prevent talk about it. They probably fear the domino effect. Kind if depressing really because- in suspecting that, they must suspect there are plenty of people on the brink of wanting to kill themselves to begin with!

Reactions: Tombs_in_your_eyes
FlufflesAway

FlufflesAway

Jul 31, 2024
Information informs our perception of our environments. It's the same reason companies don't tell you about successful strikes. The institute has an interest (financial or 'benevolent') in making suicide appear unappealing. Suicide does not exist. No one commits suicide. Dead patients don't pay. Dead patients don't attract government grants. Dead patients don't indicate to others that your offered therapy is effective. The more dead patients you have the more peril your business is in. Whether it's running a nut house, plumbing business, or government: no one dies. Keep working. Keep giving me your money. I have an expensive coke habit, and I want to buy another sports car. I can't afford the nanny or gardener--they want raises!--get back to work now!

Reactions: Tombs_in_your_eyes
permanently tired

permanently tired

I know you're laughing
Nov 8, 2023
There is a lot you can learn by witnessing something first hand. I don't think hearing Abt someone committing would have the same effect if any. It solidifies the idea of success. It becomes more "real." This could in turn enable someone who is suicidal, it's like having someone experiment and access the risk for you. It gives you a sense of certainty/comfort is how I see it.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I think the statement comes off from the notion that by CTB'ing, it's unveiling an ugly truth about existence and life itself. Perhaps deep inside that many pro-lifers and those people who aren't suicidal (or even formerly suicidal people) fear death and having someone CTB, it brings up the inconvenient and ugly truth that life isn't always great. It's irrational yet many people just aren't ready to face the harsh, grim reality. In the eyes of the universe and nature, it doesn't care whether an organism lives or dies.

Sutter

Sutter

Oct 21, 2024
Alot of good opinions already.

People are the mob, like rome. When a high emotion situation happens it can quickly become a mob mindset.

For those that have experienced extreme emotional/mental pain even though you dont know anyone personally in the ward you know why they are there with you. As everyone is looking to get past something, mostly trying to get past having to exist for yet another day. Now one of the patients succeeds, everyone else is like dam they are free and wants to follow suit. I can see where the doctor called it contagious like a disease from his/her point of view.

As for the forum and implications….well we know why we are here. We know it is not cowardice to come to grips with our own deaths. Whether we admit it or not we are here for another souls touch, to perhaps have a last contact with another human and not have to conceal our feelings or lie about happiness. There are those of us that CTB but I would also gather some move to recovery. Being part of this forum does not condemn one to death but if it is a path choosen it is supported. Each persons life is theirs to choose. Here you are heard, you can say how you feel, you can say goodbye and CTB, you can goto recovery. Can you do that in a ward? I think SaSu offers what it says a free space.

Reactions: Tuonetar_
PinkChubbyBunny

PinkChubbyBunny

Oct 25, 2024
Seeing someone going through with it is empowering.
"If they could do it, I can do it to"