Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
People who aren't Christians read the bible. Non-nazis read Mein Kampf.

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, tiger b, EternalShore and 1 other person
SmollMushroom

SmollMushroom

send N pls
Sep 27, 2023
I think people assume that you have an interest in that subject, not that you agree with what the book says.

Reactions: sserafim, avoid, tiger b and 2 others
Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
I literally have no clue what people think, nor do I care. However I feel that in order to pass comment on a text, it's necessary to read it. It's a condition that I only apply to myself though. As little as I care what anyone thinks of me or my choices, neither do it matter to me what choices they make.
Yeah, I've read Mein Kampf, the Bible, the Turner Diaries, the Koran, the Art of War, Dickens, the Brontes, Orwell, Hemmingway, the Satanic verses and Shakespeare. My family couldn't afford a TV.

Reactions: sserafim, NumbItAll and tiger b
EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
Having read Mein Kampf and dozens of terrible school books, who the heck would actually think I'd agree with any of them? xD I also happen to know an ancap who read the Communist Mainfesto~ Usually, you can chalk up reading a bad book as a joke or being forced to! lol

Reactions: sserafim
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It's probably people like me who don't really enjoy reading and don't do it as a past time. They probably are highly selective about the books they read and make sure they will resonate with them before committing the energy. I'm similar with films really. I rarely watch a film without first seeing the trailer to see if it's a film I will get something from.

Or, maybe they just want harmony in their lives and don't like being confronted with things they find challeging and don't agree with.

Reactions: sserafim and tiger b
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
I think you can learn a lot by looking at things you think you'll disagree with - like political views. Even types of book or film.

They do add to us, perhaps in unconscious, subtle ways.

Like the time I invaded Poland...hell I just needed some Lebensraum 😂

I don't regret reading Mirbeau, Bukovski...and followed by Mills and Boon. Everything's fair game.

Reactions: sserafim and ColorlessTrees
S

Stinger4771

It's never too late. Unless you’re dead.
Jul 26, 2023
Usually when I tell someone I'm reading a book the first questions are what's it about / what interested you in it / what do you think of it. So plenty of chance to justify reading terrible books

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Books are boring also if I wanted to read something that I disagree with and makes me mad, I'd just hop into Twitter (or X as I refuse to call it), 4chan, or Reddit.

BlackMoon

BlackMoon

Peace-seeker
Oct 30, 2023
Having read Mein Kampf and dozens of terrible school books, who the heck would actually think I'd agree with any of them? xD I also happen to know an ancap who read the Communist Mainfesto~ Usually, you can chalk up reading a bad book as a joke or being forced to! lol
As a libertarian who already read several books wrote (or supposedly) by Kim Jong-Il and Kim Jong-Un, I relate a lot.

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim and EternalShore