TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Ah, the common yet important word in many fields, be it legal, mental health, healthcare, business, and more. Anyways, I'm sure all of who have seen any healthcare professional as well as mental healthcare professionals (MHPs) know and hear about this term before. Especially when interacting with MHPs. When you first see them, most of them usually have some confidentiality agreement form that you sign, which mentions that anything you say would be between you and the MHP, except in certain scenarios, but not limited to: child/elder abuse, abuse of a disabled person, court-orders and subpoenas of records, danger to self or others, to name a few.

However, these "exceptions" are rather broad and gives the MHP wide latitude in using their professional judgment and discretion (again, their professional opinion and judgment). This is even more pronounced in the last two decades, due to Columbine, 9/11, Virginia Tech, and various other incidents. It all started off from the Tarasoff case in 1969. Then it became a duty to warn for danger (which again, has wide latitude and the patient is at the mercy and discretion of the MHP). While I never (in the years which I saw MHPs and what not) had them breach confidentiality, in the latter years, especially in the previous half decade (2015-2018), I had some uncomfortable close calls where the conservation shifted into probing and risk assessments (I was already feeling uncomfortable at that point). Also, my experiences are not unfounded as I've read stories (both here, on Reddit, and various articles and social media posts) of people experiencing and sharing similar sentiments that match my observations and experiences. With all that considered, this makes almost any talk of any danger, even if not an outright threats (even just hypotheticals) or actual plans to already be very risky as it could easily fall under the danger and harm part. Note: I am not saying people should not go seek professional help if they choose to, but they should be aware of the risks and consequences for saying the wrong things. Also, I'm just pointing out and exposing the fact that 'confidentiality' is overrated and gives a false sense of security.

Now I get that a bunch of ignorant people claim that "well if they breach confidentiality without it falling under those exceptions" then you could take legal action against them as well as report them to their overseeing organization (licensure boards, professional organizations, etc.). In theory, yes that is true and can (occasionally) happen, but in practice no. This is because these MHPs have very wide latitude and flexibility in reporting, that they would rather be "safe" than sorry. It doesn't matter that there is a false positive for the rare exception (the actual patient that is actually dangerous). Already, the patient is at a disadvantage because the public as well as the legal system would more likely trust the person with an authority (the MHP) and take his/her word over the patient. A patient would have an uphill battle to fight that isn't in his/her favor, let alone seeking a settlement or getting justice. So not only is there is a legal and civil duty to do so along (with the hefty penalties for failing to do so), the pro-life culture and sentiments as well as their training (which emphasizes various false misconceptions that I won't elaborate here as I've had other topics on this), and a business perspective (gotta have returning patients and feed the psychiatric industry as much as possible) are all factors that make confidentiality much less viable than what people believe to be.

Therefore, in conclusion "confidentiality" is really overrated and not as powerful as this "magical, mystical" shield that most people made it out to be. It is rather a false sense of security. This is because it is very easy to say something that is bordering on harm or danger and immediately, the MHP starts to do a risk assessment on the spot (while ignoring the real content of the conversation and patient's grievances, problems, and what not). Not to mention that since most topics still revolve around potential harm to self or others, or at least the other topics that eventually lead into those serious topics, the risk is just far too great to chance. They hold the authority to take away your civil liberty and freedom, as well as your credibility (claiming you as irrational, not of sound mind, and/or mentally ill), which is why I refer to them in another thread about how they almost like law plainclothes detectives/interrogators looking for stuff to use against you. So unless you talk about non-serious, innocuous subjects and just shoot the shit, then there is always a risk of your confidentiality broken or worse, being detained against your will "for your own good, at the mercy of the MHP and the MHS (Mental health system).

Last edited:
Reactions: NoneMoreNegative, Deleted member 4993, Meditation guide and 6 others
RedDEE

RedDEE

Life sucks and then you die.
May 10, 2019
You're right. It's the same thing as a police officer arresting a suspect, claiming the suspect committed so-and-so crime. Even if the suspect is innocent - who is the judge/jury going to believe? The person in authority(the police officer) or the suspect?

I think the problem at it's core is authority. But what is the solution? Hmm, I think I know the solution, but I'm not allowed to say such things on this website.

Reactions: PSYCHO_METAL_X, Meditation guide and (deleted member)
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I know! The "confidentiality" is flexible as fuck and we have no right to privacy, only a privilege. If I had known this from the beginning I would not have ever gone.

Reactions: NoneMoreNegative, Deleted member 4993 and Meditation guide
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
It's reasons like this as to why i'm wary of seeking help. I've heard plenty of stories of people having their trust broke by these people when they're SUPPOSED to keep confidentiality. Bad enough there's a decent chance of getting tossed in the psych ward for just saying that i've thought of suicide but having my secretes exposed are risks that are far too great imo.

Reactions: NoneMoreNegative, TAW122, Deleted member 4993 and 1 other person
Eren

Eren

Si hablas español mándame un MP
Oct 27, 2018
Very good post, as always @thrw_a_way1221221 for example when I was admitted, the psychiatrist told my mother intimate things (which I told said psychiatrist)

I believe that everything should be confidential, unless there is an imminent risk of causing harm to third parties (for example, if I tell him that tomorrow I will kill X person)

Reactions: TAW122
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
Where I live any doctor including a shrink or psychologist is obligated by law to inform others and put you in a 3 day psychiatric hold.

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Not to try and sound like a conspiracy theorist, but confidentiality and privacy don't exist and probably never have done. Pretty much everything you do online and offline is logged, tracked and archived; from what you've bought to who you talk to. This information on your activity can be valuable too, because certain companies are willing to buy it for purposes like marketing. Your whole life history is available to the highest bidder.

I don't want to sound old-fashioned either - I'm not saying this is a modern problem exclusive to the digital era. The powers that be have always tried to keep eye on you (in a bad way) even before the dawn of the Internet.

Reactions: Green Destiny, NoneMoreNegative and woxihuanni
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
You're right. It's the same thing as a police officer arresting a suspect, claiming the suspect committed so-and-so crime. Even if the suspect is innocent - who is the judge/jury going to believe? The person in authority(the police officer) or the suspect?

I think the problem at it's core is authority. But what is the solution? Hmm, I think I know the solution, but I'm not allowed to say such things on this website.
I've seen stories where the cops will say something like, okay before we start questioning you, off the record .....

There is no off the record, anything you say can be used against you, so I think with all things like this, confidentiality etc, you're better off not telling anyone anything that you wouldn't want to be widely known.

Loose lips sink ships and all that.

Reactions: NoneMoreNegative and TAW122
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
This is why I haven't sought therapy. I don't trust any psychiatrist with my information. They will do terrible things to me under the guise of "helping" me.

Reactions: Green Destiny
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
It's reasons like this as to why i'm wary of seeking help. I've heard plenty of stories of people having their trust broke by these people when they're SUPPOSED to keep confidentiality. Bad enough there's a decent chance of getting tossed in the psych ward for just saying that i've thought of suicide but having my secretes exposed are risks that are far too great imo.
Exactly, I've always viewed them as nothing more than plainclothes investigators looking/fishing out information to use against you. They aren't there to honor your grievances, injustices, and/or solve your problems. They are there to protect the interests of the social order, help enforce social order (including the status quo), an informant for the state, and to reindoctrinate you back into the wage slave of a system. It's all those first before your interests (and mostly not even about your interests).

Very good post, as always @thrw_a_way1221221 for example when I was admitted, the psychiatrist told my mother intimate things (which I told said psychiatrist)

I believe that everything should be confidential, unless there is an imminent risk of causing harm to third parties (for example, if I tell him that tomorrow I will kill X person)
I am sorry to hear about that and I hope you are able to find some justice in your situation as well as peace. :hug:

Where I live any doctor including a shrink or psychologist is obligated by law to inform others and put you in a 3 day psychiatric hold.
I'm assuming you are referring to either the Baker Act (in Florida) or the 5150 hold (in California)? Either way, I wouldn't want to live in either of those states (no offense to people who live in either of those states either), due to the politics, the cost of living, and a few other personal reasons.

Not to try and sound like a conspiracy theorist, but confidentiality and privacy don't exist and probably never have done. Pretty much everything you do online and offline is logged, tracked and archived; from what you've bought to who you talk to. This information on your activity can be valuable too, because certain companies are willing to buy it for purposes like marketing. Your whole life history is available to the highest bidder.

I don't want to sound old-fashioned either - I'm not saying this is a modern problem exclusive to the digital era. The powers that be have always tried to keep eye on you (in a bad way) even before the dawn of the Internet.
You don't sound like a conspiracy theorist as what you say is generally true. Of course, it's likely the gov't (and even international ones too) knows that such a site exists. However, we have anonymity in the sense that as long as we stay within the confines of the law we are protected by free speech and what not. Also, in public spaces we don't expect there to be confidentiality but in spaces where we expect there to be (doctor-client, therapist-client privilege, attorney-client privilege, etc.).

Your last sentence is spot on too.

I've seen stories where the cops will say something like, okay before we start questioning you, off the record .....

There is no off the record, anything you say can be used against you, so I think with all things like this, confidentiality etc, you're better off not telling anyone anything that you wouldn't want to be widely known.

Loose lips sink ships and all that.

Yes that is very true. Also, cops are legally allowed to deceive, lie, or trick you (and some may even take advantage of your lack of knowledge or certain rights you have) yet you can't do the same without getting into legal trouble (obstruction of justice and other similar crimes, IANAL though). So yes, it's best to remain silent even if you are innocent and be lulled into a false sense of security.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey, TheQ22, Sprite_Geist and 2 others