D

darkwater

Experienced
Apr 17, 2021
This makes me sound like a complete weeb. But why can't the West be more like Japan? No screaming in public transport, no lack of respect for strangers, hardly any violent crime. what went wrong in the last decades that everyone takes themselves so important?

Reactions: obafgkm, Marine and Cathy Ames
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Japan has plusses and minuses. their suicide rate is 16.5 per 10,000 and in the U.S. the rate is 14.5 per 10,000, so this is one indicator that things are not necessarily better there overall.

Reactions: obafgkm, keitaro and 4damant
4damant

4damant

Jun 9, 2022
From the perspective of someone from a part of asia, I'd say the west and east both have their pros and cons.

The west, from what I've gathered thus far in life seemed more accepting of open discussions on taboo matters (like this site we're on), with heavier emphasis on individualism. While the east (more specifically east Asia, Asia's huge bruh), usually acts as a collective, as in every member has a "duty" to maintain the harmony of the overall society, this in turns sacrifices the individual wellbeing tho. But I suppose it'll be neat if we all regardless of geographical regions can be a tad more considerate to others as fellow sufferers.

What went wrong? I've no idea, I'm just like any other naive kid growing up in the early 2000s, and only recently understood more of the world in the past 5 years. Perhaps alot of people too are disillusioned of "giving" to the society, after being treated like shit by the very same system? I know I am, but I ain't taking my frustrations out on strangers.

Reactions: deleted and obafgkm
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
But I suppose it'll be neat if we all regardless of geographical regions can be a tad more considerate to others as fellow sufferers.

It certainly would and the world would be a lot less shitty and it should go beyond politics and religion. Regarding the topic. I can see what Japan has to offer but everywhere has pluses and minuses.

Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
Because of a failed experiment called 'Multiculturalism'.

Reactions: whatevs
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Different race, different culture. I like diversity.
As long as globalism is established it wasn't failed.

O

obafgkm

Experienced
Jun 3, 2022
Japan has a good blending of modern western ideas and its old culture. The traditional culture that has influenced Japan is very hierarchical, piety based and has haunted most of east Asia since the time of Jesus. To various degrees, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore have been similarly successful in embracing modern western ideas while keeping much of their old tradition, whereas China seems not been able to come out of its imperial mindset.

Reactions: darkwater
Not_A_Seagull

Not_A_Seagull

Jul 6, 2022
This makes me sound like a complete weeb. But why can't the West be more like Japan? No screaming in public transport, no lack of respect for strangers, hardly any violent crime. what went wrong in the last decades that everyone takes themselves so important?
You want to never be able to talk about mental health issues, live in a competitive as hell society and die from overworking?
ironic since some European countries are very homogenetic (or whatever the word is)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sprite_Geist, 𖣴 nadia 𖣴 and VirtualSnow