W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I'm hoping there are some IT folks who might be able to help me or maybe just some people who've been through a similar situation before. I wouldn't normally ask, but this is causing me a great deal of stress. (Thanks @Small_Dreams for suggesting this.)

I'm trying to login to a Google account I've had for years, but it's not my main account. I haven't actually logged into it for a long time. I used to be logged into on my phone, but I removed it a few years ago because my husband liked to snoop on my phone and I didn't want him to know I had it. Well, I tried to log in and Google wants me to prove it's me. It wants to send a text to my phone... but it's an old phone number to which I no longer have access. It is not giving me any other options to log into the account other than texting or calling that number.

It even sent me an email to my recovery email address saying that it blocked a login attempt. So... I know my user name and password, I know the old phone number, and I still have access to the recovery email address. Why can't I get into my account? There's got to be some way around this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My brain is about to explode.

• Aww..
Reactions: lobster salad, Simba, Sherri and 1 other person
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
I couldn't log into my past accounts before. Apparently, it's normal for Google to disable old accounts when they aren't being used anymore.

I think the only way to fix this is to contact Google support themselves. If you search up, "request to restore Google account form" there should be a form you can fill out to Google.

I think the best way is through Google Account Recovery. Although, be prepared to give info like date of birth, phone number and such.

Reactions: lobster salad
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
praying for you. I hope you find help here.

Reactions: lobster salad and Wisdom3_1-9
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I couldn't log into my past accounts before. Apparently, it's normal for Google to disable old accounts when they aren't being used anymore.

I think the only way to fix this is to contact Google support themselves. If you search up, "request to restore Google account form" there should be a form you can fill out to Google.

I think the best way is through Google Account Recovery. Although, be prepared to give info like date of birth, phone number and such.
Well right now I wish the account was disabled. It seems like that process might be easier and less frustrating. According to what I'm reading, if your account was disabled, it takes you to a certain page and you can fill out a form there. That's not the issue with this account.

Interestingly enough, in the many things I tried, I discovered another Gmail address I had set up back in 2005 that was linked to the same recovery email as the email address I'm currently trying to recover. Because that older address was not linked to a cell phone, I was able to get in to it. -_-

Update: Just realized that the email address I'm trying to access is the one that's linked to my SS account, so at the very least, I signed into it in July 2020. Not sure why so much hassle! UGH!

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: lobster salad and waitingforrest
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
Well right now I wish the account was disabled. It seems like that process might be easier and less frustrating. According to what I'm reading, if your account was disabled, it takes you to a certain page and you can fill out a form there. That's not the issue with this account.

Interestingly enough, in the many things I tried, I discovered another Gmail address I had set up back in 2005 that was linked to the same recovery email as the email address I'm currently trying to recover. Because that older address was not linked to a cell phone, I was able to get in to it. -_-;;
Perhaps maybe try calling the Google support line? I don't know if they ever help though.

I

int5

May 26, 2021
If you have your old phone you can try using your old phone and logging in to play store using your WiFi connection.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Yeah without the old number will be hard, that's why I always keep my SIM cards, but i use pay as you go so it doesn't expire.

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Have a good look at the email saying they blocked a log in attempt. You may find a link that says something like 'was this you' that you can use to confirm it was you that made the attempt. It usually says if this was you thwn ignore this, if it wasn't then click this link to access security settings. Something along those lines anyway. If that's not there then check the very bottom of the page/enail for contact info in order to raise a dispute/concern with google. Another thing you could try is to log into YouTube with the same info as they were separate entities a few years back and now they've become one they are interchangeable. Logging into YouTube may provide more options for account recovery. It's odd that the only option for account retrieval/verification is the text/phone option. Makes me wonder if you're missing the option to verify your log in via email. There may be an option to do that that you've overlooked. It's not always made easy as they push the multi device access thing (under the guise of security) as it benefits their business model.
They also don't make it easy to use multiple accounts tethered to a single set of devices so if you have another account linked to that email and phone they will favour the more recently and commonly used. Silly as it is.