resolutory

resolutory

Experienced
Sep 13, 2022
It's a very frustrating thing. For some reason, I seem to always require someone else to have done and show me how to do anything. I can do things on my own, but it takes about 20x longer as I'm continually questioning 'am I doing this right?'. Even stuff as simple as ordering from sites I've never used before. I'm like 'can I trust this?' 'Am I doing this right?' 'Is it normal to give out these details?'. I can't ever comfortably do anything unless I have someone telling me exactly what to do, or showing me how they did it, etc. It's really annoying and makes me feel so stupid.

I just feel like I'll screw everything up otherwise. I constantly have to ask for advice every step of the way and, unfortunately, I often don't have anyone to get advice from. But I shouldn't have to anyway. Normal people don't. Most everyone else just gets on with life and does things without even thinking about it, not a problem. I don't know why I'm like I am.

• Hugs
Reactions: katagiri83 and Forever Sleep
valkyrie

valkyrie

Feb 11, 2023
It's understandable. I tend to do that. It's annoying because I know but feel the need to "just check" stuff is right cuz' I'm terrified of making a mistake, mostly when there's somebody else around and it's easy to ask
I remember at this one job I had they thought I didn't know how to do stuff because of that and it was one of the reasons they let me go... T-T

• Hugs
Reactions: resolutory and katagiri83
Forest Fire

Forest Fire

Student
Jul 19, 2019
I can relate to this. In my case i'd imagine it comes from anxiety and overthinking everything. My job is easy but any time there's a change in the way we do anything i either get someone to watch me do it a few times or i'm going to the office a few minutes later to get them to go through the instructions again just to be sure. It happens with a lot of day to day stuff too.
Thinking about it now, my parents have always acted like i'm completely useless and incapable of doing anything as well so even though i know they are wrong, it's probably in the back of my mind that that is true

• Hugs
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm almost the opposite really. I get by ok doing stuff on my own but as soon as someone is with me, I'll screw up! Like- when my parents come to stay, I'll leave the lights on when we are about to go out. They must think- God- how does she survive normally?!!

I expect you know already but YouTube is a great resource for learning stuff- all sorts of things... I've gone there frequently to try and solve home emergencies or, computer stuff I don't understand.

Maybe it's a good thing- you like to do a proper job and you're cautious. Probably best in this day and age. Still- I can understand your feeling frustrated with yourself. I get so cross with myself too when I can't do stuff.