Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
It's strange. I don't think they would be able to handle the 2000s and the decades before. Even millennials have forgotten what their teen years were like. There was like one school shooting back then- Virginia Tech. Eminem in his prime wouldn't last long now.

Last edited:
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
It's strange. I don't think they would be able to handle the 2000s and the decades before.
What specifically are you referring to - being offended by words? If so then it could be said that this is true of any generation. Virtually everybody is "offended" by something; human beings are emotional creatures after all, and even a very rational individual can lose sight when a situation becomes intense.

Reactions: sashimi_
sashimi_

sashimi_

salmon and cucumber maki
Apr 27, 2023
social attitudes change i guess? and kids are usually more passionate and outspoken before they get turned into jaded adults

Reactions: Skathon and Sprite_Geist
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
What specifically are you referring to - being offended by words? If so then it could be said that this is true of any generation. Virtually everybody is "offended" by something; human beings are emotional creatures after all, and even a very rational individual can lose sight when a situation becomes intense.
If a person's presence sparks a bad reaction from many unfamiliar people, what are the possible causes?

endofafoxtwo

endofafoxtwo

silly red fox guy
May 1, 2023
Because they are being trained to be and they have poor upbringings.

Reactions: Ambivalent1
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
If a person's presence sparks a bad reaction from many unfamiliar people, what are the possible causes?
There could be many, many causes. If a negative reaction is given off from multiple strangers it could be that said individual is doing something to provoke others, so in this example it is warranted. It could also be that they "stand out" or do not fit in with the local clique; many people in groups enjoy belittling others who are on their own, and for the silliest reasons i.e.: your shoes or eye colour.

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
There could be many, many causes. If a negative reaction is given off from multiple strangers it could be that said individual is doing something to provoke others, so in this example it is warranted. It could also be that they "stand out" or do not fit in with the local clique; many people in groups enjoy belittling others who are on their own, and for the silliest reasons i.e.: your shoes or eye colour.
One's appearance can provoke others too even if it's not over the top (i.e. tattoos, rainbow hair, etc)?
I'm on my own. I don't like cliques or the idea of automatically supporting someone's side of an event just because I know them.

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
One's appearance can provoke others too even if it's not over the top (i.e. tattoos, rainbow hair, etc)?
I'm on my own. I don't like cliques or the idea of automatically supporting someone's side of an event just because I know them.
If an individuals appearance provokes another person then that is generally the issue of the person who feels provoked; unless the said individual is wearing a piece of apparel which gives off a hateful message. Also: what has the previous question got to do with the original post? I do not understand.

I really dislike cliques too, because I have been at the receiving end of much mistreatment from them.

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
This is not an excuse to be vile? Just to be told one is easily offended. At what point is that vileness actually offensive then?

Reactions: Sprite_Geist
HarmonicScreams

HarmonicScreams

They/them
Apr 30, 2023
Are younger generations more easily offended? I'm not sure that's even the case; I think people are just being offended by different things than they used to be.
Something that needs to be taken into consideration is the effect that social media has had on society overall. These algorithms are tailored to increase engagement because of their profit model being advertising. It turns out, people are more likely to be engaged with things that make them angry - perceived threats (either real or imagined) are highly salient, and this continual targeting of the flight/fight/freeze..etc. system is making people more likely to reactivate the fight or flight response in the future.
That's just one small slice of the pie when it comes to social problems in the digital age. We live in a very different world environmentally than just 20 years ago, but our brains are basically the same for however long humans have been around. So, it's not surprising to see behavioral consequences of such a fast changing world.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, sashimi_ and Ambivalent1