H

HanginAround

Jan 10, 2019
Just wondering, why is it so much more common to hear about people jumping in front of Trains than cars

Where I live there are plenty of interstates, and people often walk on them. So it seems like the car method is just more available too.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
The first answer that comes to mind is that a train cannot swerve. It is bound to stay on the track.

Reactions: Bct, FriendofDeath and autumnal
SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

I'm all about coffee and cigarettes
Jul 24, 2019
An average train is likely to be going faster than an average car. Cars can slow down quite quickly.

That's not mentioning the impact, a car could just hit you in the thigh and make you roll over the bonnet. A train pretty much hits you with a wall of force.

Reactions: Bct, Epsilon0 and autumnal
shipwreck

shipwreck

Student
May 7, 2020
All of the above, plus a train cannot slow down quickly, and you know precisely where the wheels and body of the locomotive will go.

Also, the driver is far less likely to be physically injured, although they may well be emotionally scarred.

Reactions: Bct, Epsilon0 and autumnal
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
I think it's more probable to be killed by a train than by car. A train can't dodge you once you step in front of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: autumnal
A

AnxietyAttack44

I just wanna go to my husband already.
Jun 5, 2020
If you jump in front of a car i think its bigger chance to hurt people inside the car or cause big chain reaction once they panic. Train will stay on track most likely but still hurt the driver

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
As well as all the other reasons already mentioned, more people can probably relate to how their suicide would negatively affect a car driver, as most of them are car drivers themselves. Whereas the perspective of a train driver is probably harder to relate to for that reason.

Going to throw in the obligatory moral reminder: neither of these methods are morally acceptable, as they both unfairly traumatise an innocent party and make them part of your death.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bct, shipwreck, Epsilon0 and 1 other person
HappyMstake

HappyMstake

Not so happy as it turns out.
May 29, 2020
Well trains are obviously heavier than cars which means it will hit you with much greater force.

Being hit by a train I imagine is instant CTB. Especially if you put your head on the tracks or lay across where it cuts you into 3 parts. Being hit by a car isn't really guaranteed. My brother-in-laws father jumped out of a moving car cause he was drunk and an idiot, actually go ran over a few times on the interstate and still somehow lived, if he had jumped in front of a train though I'm sure that would be a different story..

Last edited:
H

HanginAround

Jan 10, 2019
Agreed, I don't endorse these methods.

I was just wondering about the frequencies.

All good explanations given above.