• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

charlotte_

charlotte_

-
Mar 12, 2023
Fyodor Dotoyevski (I hope I type that right) I think. I especially like this quote of his:
Now I ask you: what can be expected of man since he is a being endowed with strange qualities? Shower upon him every earthly blessing, drown him in a sea of happiness, so that nothing but bubbles of bliss can be seen on the surface; give him economic prosperity, such that he should have nothing else to do but sleep, eat cakes and busy himself with the continuation of his species, and even then out of sheer ingratitude, sheer spite, man would play you some nasty trick. He would even risk his cakes and would deliberately desire the most fatal rubbish, the most uneconomical absurdity, simply to introduce into all this positive good sense his fatal fantastic element. It is just his fantastic dreams, his vulgar folly that he will desire to retain, simply in order to prove to himself—as though that were so necessary—that men still are men and not the keys of a piano, which the laws of nature threaten to control so completely that soon one will be able to desire nothing but by the calendar. (from Notes from Underground)
Honorable mention to Arthur Schopenhauer and Friedrich Nietzsche too.

O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
I added these to my reading table.

Cambridge Edition of:

Descartes - Meditation on First Philosophy

Nietzsche - Daybreak

mistyZombie

mistyZombie

May 22, 2023
Camus has always resonated with me on a deep level. The way he describes the struggle to keep fighting in the face of this senseless absurdity called life. Haven't read anything of his in ages. The Plauge sounds really good right now.
read the plague it is amazing. also myth of sisyphus is one of his monumental works

psp3000

psp3000

I want to quit.
May 20, 2023
this probably sounds silly but I would like to say myself and random people that I've interacted with overtime in my life

talking about ethics with friends can always be fun, funny, and interesting although none of the group/your friend group may be educated in such topics or subjects

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Karl Pilkington

T

TheNihilisticViking

Atheist, Nihilist & Pro-Mortalist
May 14, 2023
Friedrich Nietzsche (Germany), Leo Tolstoy (Russia), Albert Camus (France), Philipp Mainländer (Germany), plus a few others.

Reactions: Final_Choice
A

Andro_USYD

Artificially happy on medicine
Jul 1, 2023
Plauto, Aristotle and Socrates, very rational people from a long time ago who've to this day been the basis for philosophy. Very intelligent, Inspiring

N

nom de guerre

Aug 22, 2023
Albert Camus, Nietzsche, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Ludwig Wittgeinstein, Chomsky, Paolo Freire, Frantz Fannon, Hannah Arendt, among some others…

Reactions: Final_Choice
cosifantutti

cosifantutti

Student
Aug 27, 2023
I don't think I have just one as a favorite.

The following books are on my table:

Nietzsche:

The portable Nietzsche

The Basic Writings of Nietzsche

The Gay Science

The Will to Power

------
Jung:

The Undiscoved Self

Modern Man in Search of a Soul

------
Schopenhauer: On the Suffering of the World

------
De Spinoza: Ethics, and On the Improvement of the Understanding

------
Stoics:
Epictetus: The Discourses, The Handbook, Fragments
Marcus Aurelius: Meditations

------
Albert Camus: The Myth of Sisyphus

------
Martin Heidegger: Being and Time

------
Eastern Philosophy:
Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching
Sun Tzu: The Art of War
Miyamoto Musashi: The Book of Five Rings
You've got a big table 😊

K

kevinj430

Sep 9, 2023
Plato for his allegory of the cave. 3 people living ina cave all their lives only seeing and associating shadows with what life experiences are. Their world is only in that perspective, and makes the simulation theory for believable to me

U

username8888

-
Oct 11, 2023
Who is your favorite philosopher?
My favorite philosophers are Spinoza and schopenhauer!

SPINOZA

SCHOPENHAUER

Diogenes of Sinope and Arthur Schopenhauer!
To this man, I owe my understanding of dignity and virtue.

Jean Lon Grme   Diogenes   Walters 37131

Diogenes, the most honest cynic.
Omg. I am excited to see Diogenes. Because of his simple action based ideas that I can live on lentils and water alone mostly.

He is an influential figure for me.

Reactions: enough of this
DEATH IS FREEDOM

DEATH IS FREEDOM

Death is the solution to unsolvable problems.
Sep 13, 2023
My favorite philosopher is Platon.

AllCatsAreGrey

AllCatsAreGrey

they/he
Sep 27, 2023
I have a harem of philosophers that I appreciate. Big current favorites are Gilles Deleuze and Baruch Spinoza.

Reactions: FRUSTRATED MIND
S

sympathyforthedevil

Beggars Banquet
Nov 3, 2023
I feel almost bad saying this cause he's too popular but Peter singer

Otherwise R M Hare and Christine Koorsgard.

All three discuss a lot of practical issues including singer's (controversially) on euthanasia

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
I would have to mention a very large percentage.

But as far as a few to mention - Nietzsche might be my favorite.
Plato with his theory of forms and allegory of the cave. Aristotle who was a pupil of Plato and first distinguished physics from metaphysics and made a number of inroads including the nature of logic and empirical sciences. Plotinus and the neoplatonists. Descartes who came up with his idea of Cartesian mind body dualism and what was the first most successful mechanistic approach to physical reality with coordinate systems and his analytic geometry. Leibniz had monadology which basically says that reality consists of monads or coherent quanta that are a little bit similar to Descartes who had these mechanistic corpuscles which he considered reality to be composed. And from this monadology, he believed that eternal universal truths are accessible to reason using two main principles which were the principle of contradiction (a proposition that has to be either true or false, can't be both or neither). The principle of sufficient reason which is that nothing happens without a sufficient reason. (In reality it takes considerably more logic than those two principles to build a theory of reality).

Charles Darwin (I consider Darwin a philosopher), Bertrand Russell, Albert Einstein (Einstein is widely regarded as a physicist, but his work goes so deeply into the fundamental nature of reality that he can also be read as a metaphysical philosopher. Marcus Aralias is worth mentioning.

Reactions: sserafim
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Epicurus is also good. I'd be curious to know who people think the best *living* philosophers are… 🤔

Philosophy still has a place on the edges of science.
Part of today's metaphysics will become tomorrow's science (e.g., the nature of the omniverse, the meaning of quantum mechanics, the nature of consciousness).
A few parts are borderline – will we understand why there is anything rather than nothing?
Anything beyond that will become (or remain) philosophy or religion.