N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Yeah I have some people. My favorite is probably David Foster Wallace. I hope his language skills stain on me. Don't know if this is the right term for it ironically. I want to say I hope my language skills improve by studying his literature.
I try to extend my vocabulary. Mainly my German but also English. His knowledge of vocabularies was insane. His humor pleased me a lot. And his writing could comfort me when I was extremely suicidal.

There was a time I was into Slavoj Zizek and Jordan Peterson. But my respect for them decreased. In general I try to be more sceptical on public intellectuals. Many of them don't really focus on science rather pseudo-intellectual content for a mass audience.

There are also some German intellectuals I was into. But they are are kind of frauds. When I realized that they are just wanna-be intellectuals who want to impress the mainstream I am kind of ashamed that I watched so much of their content. One is Richard David Precht. His stances on vaccines and Ukraine are garbage. Most real scientists hate him. They laugh about him. I think I was a fan mainly because he is an advocate for universal basic income and I really wish this could become true. So it rather was an act out of desperation. On the other hand I really was too impressed. He sounds smart and pretends to know a lot.

I think I fall too fast for public intellectuals. Probably due to my obsession to impress other people with intelligence. They are seen as geniuses and are admired by so many people. Though due to the fact they want to reach a mass audience their content is often shallow and dull.

There is a historian with whom I agree on many policies. His name is Timothy Garton Ash. And don't forget Noam Chomsky. He has interesting stances on the media. Though I don't agree with everything.

Maybe it is weird I mostly talk about living people. A dead people I like is for example Franz Kafka, There was a time I really liked Immanuel Kant (the funny fact about him is how German people pronounce his name...). Though his stance on suicide is horrific. One reason I started to dislike him. Tbh when I liked him I barely knew anything about him and just pretended to like him in order to sound smart. Yeah I am pathetic.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Incognito?, Rapière, rationaltake and 1 other person
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I hope his language skills stain on me. Don't know if this is the right term for it ironically. I want to say I hope my language skills improve by studying his literature.
A nice way to say it is "I hope his language skills rub off on me". Your language skills are awesome by the way. Far superior to mine.

• Love
Reactions: noname223
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
A nice way to say it is "I hope his language skills rub off on me". Your language skills are awesome by the way. Far superior to mine.
Thank you very much for this compliment!

Sending a lot of hugs and love!

• Love
Reactions: rationaltake
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I have no favorite person of any category, I detest idolization in any form (may be why I fail to remember specific names), but there certainly are people in this world worth listening to a little more often than others (it needs to be for the right reasons, what they say rather than the simple fact that they are the one saying it).
I'm more focused on the content versus the purveyor of it.
Like you, I've left my ear among the "intellectuals" I've been in agreement with persistently until one day they start speaking a foreign language (figuratively) and I'm just beside myself, steeping in vehement disagreement.
Sometimes I'm even unexpectedly alienated by their words, to the degree where I have to "quit them" entirely, at least for awhile.

There's never anyone I end up agreeing with on everything, that would be a sort of blind worship, but I'm pretty sure most people realize that for themselves as well.
Hell, the inverse could be true also, as even my worst enemy would likely still be capable of imparting worthwhile knowledge that I would have no choice but to lend credence to, once in a blue moon.

Reactions: newave3
Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
There was a time I really liked Immanuel Kant (the funny fact about him is how German people pronounce his name...). Though his stance on suicide is horrific. One reason I started to dislike him.
Kant also believed it is always immoral to lie, no matter how precarious the circumstances are. Even if the Gestapo knocked on your door, asking for the whereabouts of your jewish neighbours, you should tell them the truth, according to Kant's moral system.

Reactions: VirtualSnow
newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
Tucker Carlson

• Yay!
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Nolan96, Blondi, Celerity and 1 other person
VirtualSnow

VirtualSnow

who knows
May 21, 2022
@whatevs perhaps

• Yay!
Reactions: GentleJerk, whatevs and rationaltake
I

Incognito?

Aug 4, 2021
ich finde Richard David Precht inzwischen auch recht oberflächlich, er meint, zu allem etwas sagen zu können. Kafka habe ich früher auch sehr gemocht. Jean Amery vielleicht auch. Oder Imre Kertesz. Früher habe ich an der Uni eine Abschluss in Philosophie gemacht. Mir gibt das Lesen aber insgesamt nicht mehr viel Halt. Ich möchte einfach meinen Körper nicht mehr spüren, wäre gerne weg.

Reactions: Ashu
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
For a contemporary intellectual, I would go with Sam Harris. I don't always agree with him, but I think he tries his best to be a force of good in the world.

Sabine Hossenfelder and Lee Smolin are physicists who share science with the public. I find both to be very humble and evenhanded. Lee is showing signs of significant cognitive decline nowadays, but his ideas are still interesting if you have the patience for his more meandering speech.

Reactions: LastFlowers
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Probably Jacque Fresco.

...And maybe Noam Chomsky, or Violent J of The Insane Clown Posse.

Reactions: Fragile