N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
First of all I don't have much knowledge on it. I am not that much into sports. But the world cup reminded me of that. Obama called Lionel Messi the GOAT.

Here is a source from people who have more knowledge on sports.

My initial thought would have been Muhammad Ali.
But very many say Michael Jordan. So there is probably some truth in it. He must have had some extremely good statistics.

I think the lists are highly influenced by geography, nationality, era you live in and probably a gender bias.

I am German. I could not name any baseball or icehockey player in the world. Not sure how stunning that fact is for others. But I am not the only German for sure who cannot name one. In my country soccer, handball, tennis, Formular 1, athletics sports is popular. I probably forgot some.

So Germans would give you a completely different list compared to the source that I linked.
I am not sure who is the GOAT in Germany. I googled it and it said Steffi Graf (Tennis - a woman by the way). Michael Schumacher (who has a tragic life) and Franz Beckenbauer (soccer). Not sure whether I agree with that.

For me the currenty Greatest soccer player of this era is Messi. Probably Mbappe will be his successor.

In rap songs I often hear Tom Brady as the GOAT.

Then there are also Tiger Woods, Pele, Usain Bolt, Roger Federer.

I think I have a huge bias on that. I refer to these people because I heard their names in the media often. I don't follow these sports enough to make a judgement.
So don't give a fuck on my opinion.

What is your take?

Rocinante

Rocinante

My name is Lucifer, please take my hand
Aug 26, 2022
Jon Jones
Michael Jordan