• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Who is the bigger threat for democracy?

• The left

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • The right

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • centrists (not sure whether this option is smart)

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am not sure whether all left people will say the right and vice versa.

I am a lefty and I think the right is the way bigger threat.

The biggest threat that comes from the left is the following. (in my opinion)
Too many climate activists have the illusion only a dictatorship could save us from the climate catastrophe. For me that is an illusion.

One could also speak about the leftwing antisemitism. Some right wingers would probably bring the following argument. Due to immigration of migrants from authoritarian countries one would also import values which are not in line with our western values.

I think some leftwing anti-democracy talking points are not seen as that awful. Especially about the climate crisis it is socially more accepted. (at least in my country)

However I think the right is the way bigger threat for democracy in general. There are way more lethal attacks associated with them. Like January 6 was an attempted coup. Election deniers have way too much influence. In my country right wing extremists killed a politician. The GOP has radicalized. I hope they will become more democratic again when they see that independents won't accept authoritarians like Trump.

For me Putin is a fascist and supports extreme nationalism. I would count him as right-winger. He just started a war to occupy an independent country and he shows his disgust for democratic values.

What do you think?

Reactions: mateodolores
illvoid

illvoid

he/it
Aug 11, 2022
I believe the right is a much bigger threat to democracy than the left, but the left (at least in America) isn't much better.

leftdreaming

leftdreaming

I should’ve been a house cat
Apr 28, 2023
The fact that there's only 2 choices (I'm talking about irl) to really choose from is what's so disastrous. We have to pick the greater of two evils and neither side really speaks for the majority of people. That's politics, though.

• Informative
Reactions: Valky
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
The fact that there's only 2 choices (I'm talking about irl) to really choose from is what's so disastrous. We have to pick the greater of two evils and neither side really speaks for the majority of people. That's politics, though.
Very well said!

• Love
Reactions: leftdreaming
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
At the moment, in the US, the right wng is certainly the greater threat. But in other coutries or at other times, it could be the left.

LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
I have no problem admitting l lean to the right, l believe in traditional values, l am a patriot, l believe in putting my fellow countrymen and women first, l believe that the working class are as important as the rich and connected if not more so, and l believe that anyone coming into the UK should have something to offer the UK economy and should not be allowed to claim any benefits until they have paid national insurance contributions for at least 10-year's!

• Love
Reactions: Arachne
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

We have such sights to show you 👁️
Apr 17, 2023
Biden, liberal hero, fell again today. Embarrassing. Trump never fell! Trump train can't be derailed wee woo wee woo!!

Reactions: Touhou
Giraffe

Giraffe

Leaf Muncher
Jun 1, 2023
Imma flip this on it's head, democracy isn't real.

The idea that the left or the right is a threat to it, in and of itself is straight bollocks. Nobody can change anything substantial anymore, the global elites control all basically all governments.

My logic is this:
Humans are fundamentally corrupt, or at least have the ability to be corrupt ---> The urge to cheat/be corrupt increases as stakes increase ---> Governments control countries, i.e. high stakes ---> Therefore, Governments are Corrupt.

Nevertheless, government is essential to modern life. So to answer the question, what is the biggest threat to democracy? My answer is the Government itself.

SCDLKD

SCDLKD

May 29, 2023

The idea that the left or the right is a threat to it, in and of itself is straight bollocks. Nobody can change anything substantial anymore, the global elites control all basically all governments.

My logic is this:
Humans are fundamentally corrupt, or at least have the ability to be corrupt ---> The urge to cheat/be corrupt increases as stakes increase ---> Governments control countries, i.e. high stakes ---> Therefore, Governments are Corrupt.

Nevertheless, government is essential to modern life. So to answer the question, what is the biggest threat to democracy? My answer is the Government itself.
I think that saying democracy isn't real is kinda true. But idk if what you're saying is the cause.

I actually think the problem is that we are trying to apply democracy and a lot of rules at a massive escale. How tf 1 dude could represent 400m people fairly, it's impossible. I think we weren't designed for all of this as a species. The only time when there was some kind of democracy was when it was borned as a concept in the ancient greece. But it also had its flaws, like only adult native greeks could vote, etc.
So basically i just think we weren't designed as a species to live in this massive society we live right now.
Why tf what a guy did or said in the other side of the globe affect me and my daily life in an indirect form? It's actually insane if you start to think about that, we only been living like this since 200 years ago aprox, which is shit compared to our whole existence

clavicals

clavicals

тоска
Jun 4, 2023

My logic is this:

Literally, it's just rich and working class playing bloods and crips. It's a nice distraction to keep y'all busy