• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think this is an interesting question because it might tell something about the mentality of the people.

In my country Germany the people hoarded toilet paper and meal. Moreover noodles.
I have read please correct me if I am wrong in France condoms and wine were sold out. It was quite a common joke in comedy shows how stupid the people in Germany were. All they can think about is taking a shit. This is the worst problem for us.

I have made a short research not sure about the quality of the article but it says the following.
In the Netherlands they hoarded weed
The article says that the condome and wine claim about France was wrong. Instead baguette would be hoarded.
In US toilet papers too and arms
Scandinavia painkillers
Italy and Spain wine
Bulgaria vitamine C

Not sure if how accurate this information is: Maybe it is based on stupid stereotypes. Maybe you can say about your country what was hoarded.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: waitingforrest
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
In the UK the shops ran out of toilet paper and pasta. And later on flour as people took up baking during the lock-down.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Hercules

Hercules

Arcanist
Jan 31, 2021
In the US, the stores ran out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, cleaning products, flour, bottled water, and canned food.

Last edited:
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Besides toilet paper and cleaning products, my grocery store also had trouble keeping meat in stock. The minute it would go on sale, it would fly off of the shelves. It got so bad that I switched to beans for several weeks. My brother bought a deep freeze. I considered getting one too.

• Informative
KQuotientW

KQuotientW

404: Reason to live not found
Jul 17, 2022
Australia here.

Toilet paper, hand sanitiser, flour - because bread kept selling out, rice, pasta, methylated spirits (as replacement for hand sanitiser), soap, shampoo, paracetamol (acetaminophen), cough medicine, powdered milk, UHT (long life carton) milk, cheese, yoghurt, fresh milk, baked beans, tinned spaghetti, ramen noodles, tea, coffee, sugar, meat, pet food, eggs, and the fresh produce section was regularly emptied by panicking shoppers.

Supermarkets had to put restrictions on items. This was difficult for people who live in rural areas who might only do grocery shopping once a month as they live far away from shops or townships.

I live off grid and have solar power. I don't have a fridge. It was difficult as I only buy powdered milk and long life items that don't require refrigeration. I've bought these things for years. During the period of restrictions on goods, I was often receiving angry or annoyed looks from other customers if I went near the powdered milk.

It was also interesting to see people getting angry and defensive with each other. Some would get angry if they saw a customer walk into the store without sanitising their hands first. Others would go full Karen if they felt someone's mask wasn't the correct one. Now everyone has moved on and forgotten that they acted like total arseholes to one another.

callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
Cooking oil. Don't understand everybody reacting to a single case reported on TV of a fight in a mart over oil. At 18% inflation as the EU's poorest country, I don't get why fight anybody when you both can't afford it.

But let me say loads of people never wore masks here, and some had under chin straps as if they are astronaut memorabilia or something. No fighting over that ever happened.

• Informative
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Lack of critical thinking.
Cowardice towards unjust authority.
Eagerness to marginalize and pester those that didn't fall for the charade.

Reactions: Suicidе
SpentStardust

SpentStardust

Sep 20, 2022
I live in Italy, one of the very first areas to be hit. In the very early stages when lockdown started to be rumored and eventually put in place, it was mostly canned food, pasta, flour, meat, generally food. Eventually people realized that we would still be able to get food, but throughout all the first months of lockdown, flour, yeast and pasta were very hard to find. Everyone started becoming bakers and making homemade pizza, bread, or other things like that. It was nice to see. Still don't understand why people in US or wherever were trying to get toilet paper.

StolenLife

StolenLife

-
Sep 19, 2022
Where I live it was mostly toilet paper, flour, sugar and cooking oil, nothing out of the ordinary.

Z

zombie_zam

Oct 3, 2022
In Denmark, the things I saw horded the most are toilet paper and yeast

LesbianCarpetPython

LesbianCarpetPython

Smell lord
Sep 24, 2022
I feel like Australia kinda started the whole trend of hoarding toilet paper

Reactions: KQuotientW