J

johndoe1954

Aug 11, 2019
Hi

Was thinking of buying this flow meter for example

1. I assume one can set the flow to 15L? Wondering if this one is reliable/heavy duty enough?
and
2. What hose to attach at the bottom? Vinyl tubing? or hose that attached with it, but seems rubber and maybe too large?

Any other suggestions for flow meter and tubing welcomed!

MG_39

MG_39

Physically ill suffering couch potato
Jul 5, 2019
This regulator is an Argon regulator. The density between Argon, helium and nitrogen is different. Argon is heaviest and Helium lightest. So 15lpm on that regulator will not be 15lpm with nitrogen or helium.

The best choice for Nitrogen is either a Nitrogen regulator or O2-regulator.

I also have an Argon regulator, and Nitrogen. I plan to use it at around 20-22lpm. There is a difference between different brands of regulators also, but I guess 20-22 would be relatively close. But I'm not sure :/

J

johndoe1954

Aug 11, 2019
Thx. This is a multi-gas regulator/flow meter with guages for the different gases to measure volume flow for each particular gas.

Should I be concerned about its quality? What regulator do you have? Any suggestions welcomed.

What about the hose to attach to your regulator/flow meter or the one above?

Thx.

MG_39

MG_39

Physically ill suffering couch potato
Jul 5, 2019
Thx. This is a multi-gas regulator/flow meter with guages for the different gases to measure volume flow for each particular gas.

Should I be concerned about its quality? What regulator do you have? Any suggestions welcomed.

What about the hose to attach to your regulator/flow meter or the one above?

Thx.

The fitting is correct for all of those gases. But the "flow tube" is for Argon (zoom in picture)
I live in Europe so can't recommend any regulator. Best choice would be to buy the Maxdog O2-regulator. Higher price and long shipping time.

I have a clear pvc-tubing.

pane

pane

Hollow
Apr 29, 2019
Hello,
If you're in the United States I recommend using a 0-15 LPM oxygen regulator with an adapter. Read this thread:

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/max-dog-regulator-ridiculous-price.18831/

The comments posted by Fister (RIP) will tell you the exact parts to get. You'll have to search on Google using the part numbers he gives but you'll find the needed items.

For convenience here are the part numbers:

1) Medline HCS5415M 02 regulator

2) Western Enterprises 415 adapter

There's a second thread linked to in the thread above you may also want to read.

You can also buy a somewhat more expensive 02 regulator from WT Farley (but I don't know if it's actually more precise or reliable than the one Fister recommends in the thread above):

https://www...wtfarley...(DOT).....com/Oxygen-Standard-Body-Click-Regulator-CGA-540

Select the barb-style outlet from the dropdown menu.

I altered the URL because we're not allowed to post active links directly to sources here on SS. You can also get the Farley 02 regulator from Amazon. You'll still need the Western Enterprises adapter which I think can also be bought from Amazon among other websites.

Also for the tubing you need you can either buy oxygen tubing from Amazon or go to a local hardware store and buy a length of vinyl tubing cut to whatever length you want. I think the recommended length for this method is around 6 feet.

The internal diameter of the oxygen tubing should be a size that will naturally fit the barb outlet on the 02 regulator. If you go with vinyl tubing from a hardware store you'd have to first find out the internal diameter of the oxygen tubing which you could learn from the tubing's product page on Amazon then choose vinyl tubing that has the same or similar internal diameter.

For a nitrogen tank I suggest the following:

1) Go to a website called Cyberweld...(D O T)...c o m which has been recommended here on SS before. I can't link directly because of the new forum rule about posting sources.

2) In the search box type in: inert gas cylinder

3) This will bring up a list of inert gas tanks you can buy in various sizes as measured in cubic feet. 20 cubic feet is the minimum size you need for this method. You can also buy a 40- or 60-cubic foot tank that will obviously provide nitrogen for a longer period of time "just to be sure" if you'd like that. ONLY choose a tank listed as "inert gas". DO NOT get one marked "oxygen", "acetylene", etc.

4) Click on the size of tank you're interested in. On the product info page for each tank there's a dropdown menu under the word "options". Use the menu and select "Full Nitrogen". What this means is that Cyberweld will fill the tank for you with N2 then ship it directly to your house.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sirius
Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
That is heavy duty enough, it goes from 0 to 25 LPM, but it is calibrated for Argon, which is denser than Nitrogen, so the displayed flow rate won't match the actual flow rate if you use it with Nitrogen. You can find conversion factors online, or do the math by hooking it up and timing how long it takes to run down the tank.

Seems to me that's easier than jumping through the hoops of sourcing an O2 flow meter and adapter, or paying through the nose for a proper N2 regulator and flow meter. I'm going to be testing my rig anyway, so it doesn't seem like a big deal. I figure that if I don't like what I see when I test, then, yeah, I'll bite the bullet and shell out a couple hundred bucks for the nitrogen-calibrated setup. (Alternately, it might just be easier and cheaper to get my tank refilled with Argon, once I run it out in testing, so that's another option.)

J

johndoe1954

Aug 11, 2019
I believe the flow meter may have 3 sides - one for each gas?
The internal diameter of the oxygen tubing should be a size that will naturally fit the barb outlet on the 02 regulator. If you go with vinyl tubing from a hardware store you'd have to first find out the internal diameter of the oxygen tubing which you could learn from the tubing's product page on Amazon then choose vinyl tubing that has the same or similar internal diameter.

Was confused by this. What is the difference between using oxygen tubing (which you say just needs to fit) and vinyl tubing, which you say you have to measure? JUst get vinyl tubing that fits? Is this the same as pvc tubing?

Last edited:
pane

pane

Hollow
Apr 29, 2019
I believe the flow meter may have 3 sides - one for each gas?

Was confused by this. What is the difference between using oxygen tubing (which you say just needs to fit) and vinyl tubing, which you say you have to measure? JUst get vinyl tubing that fits? Is this the same as pvc tubing?

Ready-made oxygen tubing that you buy from Amazon or a medical supply store is usually all of the same internal diameter and designed to already fit on the barb outlet on an oxygen regulator. I know this because my late father had chronic emphysema and I tended to his oxygen tanks, home oxygen concentrator and supplies.

Generic vinyl tubing you get from a hardware store comes in several different internal diameters so you need to make sure the tubing you buy fits onto the barb outlet of the 02 regulator. The way to do this is to buy the regulator first then take it to the hardware store and attach different sizes of vinyl tubing to it to see which one fits tightly to the barb outlet.

"Vinyl" and "pvc" are the same thing, yes. "Pvc" stands for "polyvinyl chloride".

Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
Grneric vinyl tubing you get from a hardware store comes in several different internal diameters so you need to make sure the tubing you buy fits onto the barb outlet of the 02 regulator. The way to do this is to buy the regulator first then take it to the hardware store and attach different sizes of vinyl tubing to it to see which one fits tightly to the barb outlet.

...and for the sake of certainly, if you go this route, you probably want to get one of those "hose clamps" (adjustable metal rings) to makes sure the tube doesn't leak. I think that's suggest in Five Last Acts and/or PPH.

pane

pane

Hollow
Apr 29, 2019
...and for the sake of certainly, if you go this route, you probably want to get one of those "hose clamps" (adjustable metal rings) to makes sure the tube doesn't leak. I think that's suggest in Five Last Acts and/or PPH.

Yes, thanks for adding that. I was thinking of including that detail but I get a bit wordy in my posts trying to clear enough about what I'm saying and left it out. Either the hardware store or an auto parts store will sell hose clamps in varying sizes including very small ones which are adjusted with a flat-blade screwdriver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sirius
J

johndoe1954

Aug 11, 2019
CAn you recommend a regulator/flow meter to buy online (apart from MDB) for industrial helium or nitrogen?

Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
CAn you recommend a regulator/flow meter to buy online (apart from MDB) for industrial helium or nitrogen?

I bought the one you linked, but I've yet to test it. For the price, I figure it's hard to go wrong, and worst case, I can get an Argon refill/exchange or all the proper nitrogen gear.

J

johndoe1954

Aug 11, 2019
So is the flow meter only for Argon on that one that I linked? or does it also have a flow meter for the other gases? Is there any flow meter out there for helium?

pane

pane

Hollow
Apr 29, 2019
So is the flow meter only for Argon on that one that I linked? or does it also have a flow meter for the other gases? Is there any flow meter out there for helium?

I don't think you'll get too much input regarding industrial helium because it's just not talked about here on SS. The inert gas of choice is now nitrogen with the use of a click-style nitrogen or oxygen regulator (and adapter) because Nitschke's MDB company is selling a click-style regulator and that more or less sets the standard regarding what hardware to use for the inert gas/bag method.

Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019

It's calibrated for Argon and CO2, so those are the gases it will display an accurate flow rate with. It will work for other gases, but will not supply an accurate flow rate for them, so you'd need to use a conversion factor (can find conversion tables online) or time how long it takes to empty the tank and do the math to determine what the actual flow rate is for a different has compared to what the meter displays.

D

Dignity

Aug 6, 2019
Hi all,
Can anyone comment on regulator thread sizes and calibration in terms of international markets? I live in South Africa and can only rent an industrial Nitrogen tank from one supplier, Afrox, due to stringent market regulations here.
Since I'm not a technical person and struggle to get around, I am thinking of buying the regulator kit from Max Dog Brewing for over R5,000 due to our very weak currency. This is a significant amount to spend.
I would like to enquire if the MD regulator is likely to fit the Nitrogen tank bought locally here?
Afrox is owned by an international company, The Linde Group, (in Europe).
I am concerned about possible discrepancies in thread sizes and configurations relating to regulators and nitrogen tanks.
Quote:
"Does regulator fit any tank?

No – there are different thread sizes and configurations. That's why ordering the equipment suggested in the PPH is best unless you are knowledgeable and experienced with high pressure gas fittings "
I have written to Max Dog Brewing, and received the following reply.
Quote:
"Unfortunately we cannot comment of products we are not familiar with. Usual practice is for customer to take the regulator along with them when searching for a compatible cylinder. In over 9 years we've not had a customer advise that they have been unsuccessful."

Given the huge outlay for the Max Dog regulator kit, I would like to enquire if it is a huge risk to hope that it is compatible with a nitrogen tank bought here in South Africa.

Thanks for any input.
All the best to everyone

D

Dignity

Aug 6, 2019
Another pertinent quote:
"On the other hand, the pressure regulator/flow meter is a different story! There are dozens of these on the internet (as you noticed) and unless you are knowledgeable and/or experienced in working with high pressure gas equipment it's hard to match it up with the high pressure cylinder you are using (thread size and type, pressure tolerance, appropriate flow rate …)."

Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
I would advise asking your supplier what fitting/threading they use on their tanks, and if they sell regulators or flow meters that fit. (Might get lucky and find that the use a common standard that's easy to find.) That way you should be able to look for regulators or flow meters with the right connector online, or even buy one in the shop that you know will fit.