S

sini

Student
Sep 30, 2018
Sorry, if this discussion is going off-topic. I am allergic to scaremongering so i felt the need to respond…
So you didn't read the article on the website that i posted? Statistics are just statistics and have to be put in a context, which the article did.
Since those have already been debunked, there really isnt anything to argue about right?
Another article on the subject: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39056786
My point though is that its ok not to like a place, based on your own personal preferences. I'm just against spreading lies, its dangerous.

Ok, will leave it at that. Sorry for the hijack.

This is completely off the forum subject. There should be different forum to discuss countries crimes, crime statistics or countries presentation in worldwide media. In other sites there is forums for that. We can continue it there.;)

I think that Sweden is beautyful and great place with many lovely people. But I, as many others, think there is harassment and rapes too much which has raised in last decades a lot (so is in many other countries). The statistics of rapes and the rise of it has gotten Sweden to the worldwide news and media a lot and it has gotten the widespread nickname in them.
That's true. Whether the statistics are right, that's a different subject.

Personally I think there is harrasment and rapes too much and I'm too scared to walk alone at dark there. I have gotten harrased a lot and few times it got physical. All my female friends have gotten harassed there and gotten scared of it. My best friend got raped when she was 12 years old and few of my other friends have been raped when they were 16-26 years old.
These are true.

Universally speaking I think that all countries should work harder to make them more safe. I agree that it's not fair to say only negative things about any country seriously. I also believe that things don't get better if they are hushed or denied.

But here it was meant with irony. Just like..
In Russia many have alcohol problem. Saying Russia the country of vodka or drunkards is a joke.
Finland has high rates of domestic violence. "Finland the country of wifebeaters" is a joke.
USA has many obese people. "USA the land of fat" is a joke.

Talking whether the statistics are correct belongs in different forum.
For example is USA 10th, 20th, 100th with most obese people in the world? Which study is right? Does Finland have almost twice as much domestic violence than in other EU countries or little or much more or less? Etc.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Deafsn0w and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
F

Fernweh

Aug 24, 2018

Hej igen :)
I did get the irony, and honestly didnt even react at first, but when you were quoting sources as if they were true, i just felt like i just didn't want to leave it at that. That's all, and the only reason why i answered. But i see that i may have come across as bit too serious, sorry about that.
For all i care, Sweden is the most boring country in the world. I mean i KNOW this to be true, but havent found any great sources on that one yet (maybe too politically uninteresting of a topic...) ;)

I also have stories from my own (so swedish) life, as do many of my swedish female friends. But that's also true for women i've befriended abroad, that never have put their foot in Sweden. As terrible as it is, it's a universal thing. I do get your frustration though.

So, bottomline, all i wanted to say was that there are reasons why the statistics can easily be misinterpreted to spread false news. Some (half-joking) generalisations are harmless, and others not so much, especially not when thought of as true. And as we both know, politically this is a hot topic in at least the western part of the world, therefore I felt the need to chime in. Anyway, confirmation bias is real, and it's important to remain critical when evaluating stuff.. And I may have come across as too harsh, which was not my intention.

That's all I have to say, won't discuss this any further.
Peace!

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Weeping Garbage Can
S

sini

Student
Sep 30, 2018
Hej igen :)
I did get the irony, and honestly didnt even react at first, but when you were quoting sources as if they were true, i just felt like i just didn't want to leave it at that. That's all, and the only reason why i answered. But i see that i may have come across as bit too serious, sorry about that.
For all i care, Sweden is the most boring country in the world. I mean i KNOW this to be true, but havent found any great sources on that one yet (maybe too politically uninteresting of a topic...) ;)

I also have stories from my own (so swedish) life, as do many of my swedish female friends. But that's also true for women i've befriended abroad, that never have put their foot in Sweden. As terrible as it is, it's a universal thing. I do get your frustration though.

So, bottomline, all i wanted to say was that there are reasons why the statistics can easily be misinterpreted to spread false news. Some (half-joking) generalisations are harmless, and others not so much, especially not when thought of as true. And as we both know, politically this is a hot topic in at least the western part of the world, therefore I felt the need to chime in. Anyway, confirmation bias is real, and it's important to remain critical when evaluating stuff.. And I may have come across as too harsh, which was not my intention.

That's all I have to say, won't discuss this any further.
Peace!

That's fine. The sources were meant to show where the nickname came.

I think that every country needs to make more to stop crimes and bullying, animal's and people's suffering and to make them more humane and fair to everyone.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
England originally, but have lived in several countries, now the US.

Sweden can be very hit or miss, like other European countries it has had problems with immigration integration, then of course there's the Julian Assange thing.

Reactions: Hennessy, Deafsn0w, stellabelle and 2 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Reactions: Deafsn0w, Deleted member 4993, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
DariaBuPL

DariaBuPL

Can't take all of this anymore
Nov 30, 2018
Poland

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Kuba, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
L

Letting Go

Oct 30, 2018
I'm from the U.S. but wish I were from Northern or Eastern Europe. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
Crazy I

Crazy I

Madman
Nov 28, 2018
I live in Indonesia,a country where a cult called Kingdom of Jellyfish exist and some cult that literally praise the sun.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Help_Me and 1 other person
EndofMyRope

EndofMyRope

Student
Oct 17, 2018
USA

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Weeping Garbage Can
Dreamland

Dreamland

Dec 1, 2018
California, USA :)

Reactions: forever21, Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
EndofMyRope

EndofMyRope

Student
Oct 17, 2018
I live in Indonesia,a country where a cult called Kingdom of Jellyfish exist and some cult that literally praise the sun.
Ok, who else just googled "Kingdom of Jellyfish"? :wink:

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Severen, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
S

stubblejumper

Dec 10, 2018
canada

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Inevitable, Weeping Garbage Can and 4 others
therhydler

therhydler

Enlightened
Dec 7, 2018
Poland... though spent half of my life in the UK

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Deleted member 4993, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
N

nohoper

Dec 2, 2018
UK

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Deleted member 4993, Weeping Garbage Can and 2 others
ReadyasEver

ReadyasEver

Elementalist
Dec 6, 2018
Midwest US

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Weeping Garbage Can and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Rose Mirren

Rose Mirren

roses are so overrated
Dec 10, 2018
Philippines

just want to say that not all of us are domestic helpers like a lot of people think
also, we have really damn good beaches :)

Reactions: puppy9, told.you.so, Deafsn0w and 5 others
J

Janu

Dec 10, 2018
California

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Weeping Garbage Can and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018

So there are people in your country who basically worship Cthulhu? LOL

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Memento Mori, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
N

NotWorthLiving

Enlightened
Dec 8, 2018
Straya

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Kill Me Now and 1 other person
Eren

Eren

Si hablas español mándame un MP
Oct 27, 2018
Spain.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, HellinHeaven, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
N

NotWorthLiving

Enlightened
Dec 8, 2018
Funny. Just googled it. I've never heard of that expression. Lol

Gotta love aussie slang haha

Btw listen to the song. It's gold.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Deleted member 4993, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
Watson

Watson

Wats-on your mind?
Nov 28, 2018
USA, CA

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Deafsn0w, Deleted member 4993 and 1 other person
KitKat

KitKat

Body Dysmorphic
Dec 8, 2018
Denmark, supposed to be a happy country.

• Wow
Reactions: Nameless@, HGL91, Weeping Garbage Can and 6 others
MyImmortal

MyImmortal

Aug 20, 2018
Canada.. Quebec

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Deafsn0w, Deleted member 4993 and 3 others